Olympiacos manager tight-lipped over move for former Man City star Yaya Toure

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Olympiacos manager Pedro Martins has refused to comment on speculation linking Yaya Toure with a return to the club.

Ivorian midfielder Toure, a free agent after leaving Manchester City at the end of the last season, is reportedly close to rejoining the Greek side.

The 35-year-old played for Olympiacos for one season in 2005-06 before moving on to Monaco, Barcelona and Premier League champions City.

Toure’s agent, Dimitry Seluk, has fuelled rumours about his client’s future with a series of cryptic tweets, including one which states the player has “passed a medical in London” and is “close to signing a new contract”.

Martins, whose side face Burnley in the second leg of their Europa League qualifier on Thursday, remained tight-lipped about the situation at his pre-match press conference.

“I have to remain concentrated on the group of players I have and not refer to players that do not belong to our group yet,” said the Portuguese.

Olympiacos head to a Turf Moor with a 3-1 aggregate lead following last week’s first leg in Piraeus.

Despite the healthy advantage, Martins refused to admit his team were favourites to reach the group stage of the competition.

“No, I do not accept this title because everyone knows how good Burnley can be in their stadium,” he said.

Most popular

Anthony Martial set to sign new five-year deal at Man United

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Anthony Martial is set to sign a new five-year deal at Manchester United, according to The Times.

The 22-year-old has been offered the new contract despite his reported fall-out with manager Jose Mourinho, which has led to increased speculation that he could depart Old Trafford.

The French forward, who joined United from Monaco for £36million in 2015, scored 11 goals across 43 appearances in all competitions for the Premier League giants last season.

He is now set to put pen to paper on a new deal as he believes he will be at the club longer than under pressure manager Mourinho.

Most popular

Frenkie de Jong happy to stay at Ajax despite Barcelona interest

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Ajax rising star Frenkie de Jong has confirmed that he will stay at Johan Cruijff Arena for the 2018/19 season despite interest from Barcelona.

The La Liga champions had been heavily linked with the exciting 21-year-old, and it was believed earlier this summer that a fee of £50 million (Dhs 234 million) would be enough to get the deal over the line.

However, speaking after Ajax’s win over Dynamo Kyiv on Tuesday, de Jong told NOS: “Maybe someday I’ll join Barcelona, but not this season. I’m staying here. I think it will be a good year.”

“I’d love to play with Ajax against Barcelona. Our squad is good and we deserved to reach the group stage. Now we’re about to find out what we’re capable of in the Champions League.

The Dutch U21 midfielder started 25 times for the Eredivisie side last term, scoring one goal and providing one assist in the process. Ernesto Valverde is reportedly keen to sign De Jong as he looks to bolster his midfield options.

The Arkel native, who still has four years remaining on his contract, has also been monitored by Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea.

Most popular