Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel agreed on Thursday that next season’s halo racing cars will be uglier, but safer – and joked about their on-track clashes during this year’s world title tussle.
The two four-time champions spoke at a news conference ahead of this weekend’s season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix where the 32-year-old Briton is hoping to claim his 10th win of the season for Mercedes.
Vettel, who won the Brazilian Grand Prix two weekends ago, aims to beat him and secure runners-up spot in his Ferrari.
Both were in a light-hearted mood with Hamilton suggesting he is aiming for a fifth title next year when, according to a grinning Vettel, he and Ferrari will enjoy a “walk in the park” if they can match or improve on their progress in 2017.
But they were serious about the future looks and safety of the cars they will race.
“It’s the last time where the cars will look good,” said Hamilton, looking ahead to this weekend’s race.
“I think, from next year, it’s all downhill in terms of how it looks, but safety will go up at least.”
Vettel agreed: “I think the cars will look different next year. Everything I’ve seen so far looks different, but on the other hand I think it’s something we will all get used to…
“It’s no doubt the cars look better the way they are now, but I’m sure that we’ll get used to it. We’ll work on the aesthetics so that it will look fine. In the end it’s probably less of a big deal.”
F1 is introducing the ‘halo’, a cockpit protection device, to prevent flying debris hitting the drivers.
The two rivals also reflected on the season past.
Asked to choose their highlights, Vettel smiled and suggested they “start with Baku – break the ice?” Hamilton responded with an audible “Hmmmm… Baku is a good one.”
It was in Baku that a volatile Vettel drove his Ferrari into Hamilton’s Mercedes while they were under Safety Car conditions.
Hamilton added: “We need more races like Barcelona, wheel to wheel…”
Driving through the exit of Yas Marina Circuit having been forced to retire in last year’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, a disappointed Valtteri Bottas was under no illusions on what the next stage of his career would present.
Still under the safety net of another year on his Williams contract, he received a call from Mercedes boss Toto Wolff a week after the race to discuss the prospect of taking over the vacant seat following the retirement of Nico Rosberg.
After four winless seasons at Williams, the Finn decided to take on the biggest challenge of his career and sign a one-year contract with Mercedes. With just nine podiums from 78 races, his mantelpiece barely shone with accolades, now a vast contrast to his achievements over the past eight months for the Silver Arrow where he is currently third in the drivers’ standings.
Speaking to Sport360° at the Hugo Boss store in Mall of the Emirates ahead of this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Bottas said: “I had high hopes for this amazing year. It was full of opportunities. It was my first year with a new team. I was hoping to fight for the title but Lewis had already won it so it didn’t happen this year.
“I was very proud to win a constructors’ championship, though, and also to get my first two wins and hopefully a third this weekend.”
After 19 races over eight gruelling months, Formula One heads to the Middle East for the concluding grand prix of the season.
Abu Dhabi‘s Yas Marina Circuit is the stage for the final round – and here, Press Association Sport looks at five key talking points ahead of Sunday’s race.
HAMILTON GIVEN HERO’S WELCOME
The 1,000-strong staff at the team’s Northamptonshire headquarters in Brackley and Brixworth – who are all at least £10,000 richer following the team’s bonuses for clinching another constructors’ championship – provided Hamilton with a guard of honour to celebrate him seeing off Sebastian Vettel to the title with three rounds to spare.
“This a very emotional day, and I was not expecting this,” Hamilton said. “It is something that I will never forget.”
The British driver will bid to see out his championship-winning campaign with his 10th victory of the year before heading to France for the prize-giving gala which will be staged at the Palace of Versailles next Friday.
CAN VETTEL CLOSE OUT RUNNER-UP SPOT?
With both the team and driver championships already settled, there is largely only pride to play for in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.
For Vettel however, who led this year’s championship battle until the 13th round of the season, the German will be hoping to save face by securing second place in the standings.
Following his win at the most recent Brazilian Grand Prix – his first since July – Vettel moved 23 points clear of Valtteri Bottas meaning he needs to finish only ninth on Sunday to guarantee the runner-up spot.
Bottas has won two races this year, compared with team-mate Hamilton’s nine, and the Mercedes driver admitted he wanted a greater haul of victories following his move from Williams.
“It has been a tough year,” Bottas said. “I was definitely hoping for more.”
KUBICA GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE TO IMPRESS
Robert Kubica will be handed his third run-out with Williams at next week’s tyre test in Abu Dhabi.
The British team are still to reveal their driver line-up for 2018, with Kubica in the frame alongside Daniil Kvyat, Pascal Wehrlein and Britain’s Paul di Resta.
Should Williams call on Kubica to partner Canadian Lance Stroll then it will cap one of the most remarkable comebacks in sporting history following the Pole’s horrific rally crash back in 2011.
Indeed it was this very race, seven years ago, in which Kubica last turned a wheel of a Formula One racing car in anger.
Williams, who will finish a lowly fifth in this year’s constructors’ championship, are due to make an announcement after the season finale.
ALONSO IN BAHRAIN AHEAD OF LE MANS SHOT
Double world champion Fernando Alonso has ramped up his preparations for January’s Daytona 24 Hours race after competing in two tests ahead of the sportscar event.
Alonso, 36, completed more than 100 laps at a World Endurance Champion rookie test in Bahrain last Sunday before getting acquainted to the LMP2 Ligier at a further test in Aragon on Tuesday.
“Obviously, we are on a really tight schedule between now and Daytona, but it was nice to jump in the car for the first time,” Alonso said.
“I’m happy with everything. The car felt great and the team were fantastic.”
Alonso’s sportscar debut at Daytona will come ahead of his likely Le Mans debut next summer as he continues his pursuit of motor racing’s Triple Crown.
BOY GEORGE HANDED FORCE INDIA SLOT
George Russell, the streaky teenager from King’s Lynn, Norfolk, is to be given another shot by Force India in opening practice on Friday.
The 19-year-old, who made his grand prix weekend debut in Brazil where he finished a commendable 12th, will take part in the first session in place of Esteban Ocon.
Meanwhile, Lando Norris, the soon-to-be McLaren reserve driver, will make his Formula Two debut this weekend for Campos Racing.
Englishman Norris, 18, was due to take part in a tyre test for McLaren in Brazil last week, but the test was cancelled amid security fears.