Amir Khan eyes Kell Brook and Manny Pacquiao fights in 2016

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Khan is still determined to fight Floyd Mayweather as well.

British boxer Amir Khan believes a showdown with fellow countryman Kell Brook could be as big a fight as Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao in the future.

But Khan, who has been vocal in his pleas for a showdown with Mayweather before the unbeaten American retires, says Brook must first prove himself against top fighters in the division such as Marcos Maidana and Timothy Bradley before the fight is made.

“There’s a few options,” Khan told Sport360. “You’ve got Kell Brook there still. What I’ve said about that is let’s build him up so that the fight is bigger in the future. There’s no point taking a fight now when down the line it could be one of the biggest fights in UK history.

“Look at Mayweather-Pacquiao. People waited five years for that and look how much that generated. Around $500 million – 45 minutes for half a billion! With Kell Brook, I want him to fight the likes of Marcos Maidana, Timothy Bradley and beat those guys. I want him to build his name so it’s not only a big fight in the UK, it’s a big fight around the world.”

But Khan says negotiations with Eddie Hearn, Brook’s promoter, have begun after the Matchroom boss travelled to the British-Pakistani fighter’s base in Bolton last week to discuss a 2016 bout.

“I definitely think next year it could happen. If he has one or two fights with decent opponents then I can’t turn him down because I’ll look a mug then. At the moment, though, I want him to get a big name. Then we’re not cheating the British fans, we’re giving them a fight they want. I spoke to Eddie Hearn and we’ve sat down and told him everything. He definitely understands.

“Also, a fight with Manny Pacquiao in Dubai could be massive. I’d love to take that fight. We’re friends but sometimes you’ve got to put friendship to one side. That fight would be amazing.”

– Fight Club: Big fights belatedly on the way for Golovkin
– Interview: Royce Gracie on UFC & Bellator in the UAE
– Pacquiao: Legend to back Philippines basketball bid
– VIDEO: Fury and Klitschko meet ahead of title fight

In the meantime, Khan still has his eyes trained on Mayweather and has not given up hope of taking on ‘Money’, but admits that a showdown is increasingly unlikely.

Khan looks set to miss out on meeting Mayweather in the final fight of his Showtime contract on September 12, where his opponent is yet to be named.

If Mayweather were to win that fight his record would be 49-0 and calls for a 50th fight would grow louder. Khan, however, has become less optimistic about a potential fight but reiterated that he would be ready and willing should Mayweather come calling.

“I’m just a little bit upset that I’m not getting the Mayweather fight again and if I’ll ever get it I don’t know,” Khan said.

“I really believe he thinks it’s going to be a very hard fight and he knows it’s a fight he might lose.

“Non-boxing fans will never understand but look stylistically at what gives him problems: Speed, movement, accuracy, power, size. I know Manny Pacquiao had speed and power but he couldn’t get to him. You know why he couldn’t get to him? Because he didn’t have the size. Physically he was tiny compared to Mayweather.

“I was watching the fight from the side and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, Mayweather made it look so easy because he didn’t let Manny settle down. He made it boring.”

With Mayweather expected to fight in September, it appears unlikely Khan will be the opponent. But the Bolton-born boxer reckons there is an outside chance he could still get the call.  

“I’ve been calling him and his team and it seems Mayweather’s just not interested. You never know with him though. If he does call me out, six weeks before the fight it would be cheating his fans, cheating me because he knew he couldn’t beat me fair and square. Unless he changes the date I can’t see it.” 

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

Cavendish named as AD Tour ambassador

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Cavendish has signed on with Abu Dhabi.

The inaugural Abu Dhabi Tour in the UAE capital continues to excite with former road UCI World Champion and fourth on the all-time list of Grand Tour stage winners Mark Cavendish named as its first ambassador.

At the Abu Dhabi Tour launch in March, Cavendish was outspoken in his passion for the Emirates and its people, describing Abu Dhabi “as a place full of tradition that also look to the future. Definitively a great country to have a bike race.”

Abu Dhabi Sports Council general secretary, Aref Hamad Al Awani, is delighted to have ‘Cav’ on board, saying: “The race is well balanced, it could be won by a sprinter with strength or by a one-day-race specialist, adept at gaining seconds on the climb. As Official Ambassador we could only choose the best and it is Mr Cavendish.”

– TDF: From Froome to Sagan, 2015’s winners & losers
– Froome: Le Tour winner considers taking on Vuelta
– TDF: Chris Froome secures victory with Paris parade
– GALLERY: Le Tour’s multiple winners through history

Cavendish added: “I’m very excited to return to the Middle East and race in Abu Dhabi.

“I’m sure it will be a great event to close the season. The route will be very nice for the sprinters so I hope to get some success – especially when there’s a chance to finish on an F1 finish. That will be very special.”

From now until the October race, Cavendish will unveil the Abu Dhabi tourist and cycling attractions via his social media channels and take part in a September press conference to promote the tour in between the Vuelta a Espana and the World Championships in Richmond.

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

Cleveland Cavaliers re-sign Australia’s Matthew Dellavedova

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Back with the Cavs: Matthew Dellavedova.

Australian guard Matthew Dellavedova, whose gritty play won fans worldwide during the NBA Finals, has re-signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers, the team said.

The Cavaliers, who fell to Golden State in the NBA championship series in June, announced the deal along with the trade of center Brendan Haywood, guard Mike Miller and two future draft picks to the Portland Trail Blazers.

Terms of Dellavedova's contract were not released, but the deal is for one year and ESPN.com reported it was worth some $1.2 million dollars.

Dellavedova, 24, played in 67 games in the 2014-15 regular season, 13 of them as a starter. He averaged 4.8 points, 1.9 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 20 minutes per game, hitting a career-best 40.7 percent from 3-point range.

But in the playoff run to the NBA Finals, the Aussie averaged 7.2 points, 2.1 rebounds and 2.7 assists in nearly 245 minutes a game, filling in for injured Kyrie Irving in the title series.

– Inside Story: MLB strikes back in popularity race
– #360USA: A-Rod steals the headlines once again
– NBA: League to reduce significance of division win

Inking the deal means Dellavedova's NBA future is settled as he prepares to compete for Australia in the FIBA Oceania Championship next month.

The Aussie squad for the regional championship will also include Andrew Bogut, who won his first NBA title with the Warriors last season. Bogut hasn't played for Australia since the 2008 Olympics.

With his signing the Cavaliers retained another piece of the team that battled for a title last year, after bringing back superstar LeBron James, Kevin Love, Iman Shumpert and James Jones.

Most popular

Related Sections