Sprint star Usain Bolt is in Munich, seeking treatment from famous doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt in a bid to cure his problematic pelvis injury before August’s world athletic championships.
The reigning world and Olympic 100m and 200m champion has withdrawn from both the Diamond League meets this Saturday in Paris and on July 9 in Lausanne as he struggles for fitness.
Bolt is suffering from a blocked sacroiliac joint in the pelvis which effects his left leg and the injury also forced him out of last week’s Jamaican championships.
His goal now is to be fit for the world championships in Beijing from August 22-30 as he starts work with Mueller-Wohlfahrt, the team doctor to football’s World Cup winners Germany, who has treated Bolt throughout his career.
“He’s the best doctor in the world and a great, great man,” Bolt has said of the 72-year-old German doctor, who has a string of famous patients.
“He has treated my muscles, but he is more than a doctor to me,” added Bolt, who set the 100m and 200m world records in 2009 in Berlin.
The Paris and Lausanne withdrawals are the latest setbacks for the 28-year-old who has not completed a full season since 2013, when he won three golds at the Moscow world championships, in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay.
So far this year he has run an exhibition 100m in Rio de Janeiro and three 200m races which have produced only average times.
— Chris Chavez (@Chris_J_Chavez) June 30, 2015
Double Olympic champion Mo Farah claims doping allegations against coach Alberto Salazar are “killing” him but admits he would sever all ties with the American should he be found guilty.
The middle-distance runner insists it is not fair he is being accused by association, insisting he is “100 per cent clean”, but believes Salazar is entitled to be treated as innocent until found otherwise.
On hearing of the allegations, Farah flew out to his Oregon training base to demand answers and has welcomed investigations by UK Anti-doping and USADA.
Double Olympic champion Mo Farah denies taking performance-enhancing drugs, after his coach was accused of doping https://t.co/VBzhDGcT4v
— Sky News (@SkyNews) June 30, 2015
“I am not on anything, trust me,” he said. “To be labelled something you are not and labelled a cheat is not fair and right: if I am a cheat prove I am a cheat or leave me alone. Prove I am crossing the line.
“Let’s get to the bottom of this. It is killing me, killing my family. UK Anti-doping and USADA need to get on top of this and deal with it properly as it is overshadowing athletics.
“They are just allegations. If there is wrongdoing I will be the first person to run (away) but you have to give people a chance in life and the benefit of the doubt.”
UK Anti-Doping confirmed on Monday it is investigating the doping allegations surrounding Salazar, who has denied the claims. Farah admits he was stunned when the allegations came to light and immediately jumped on a plane to quiz Salazar in Portland.
“I was shocked. I couldn’t believe what I saw. I am the first person to say ‘Look, what’s going on?’ I wanted answers,” he added.
“I work so hard for what I do. It has taken me half of my life to achieve what I achieved and for people to think I am taking a shortcut is not right. I am 100 per cent clean. I want to continue winning medals but I want people to know I am 100 per cent clean and am not on any drugs.
“I said ‘You need to assure me’. He said ‘Mo, I am working on this, I will come out and disprove these allegations. These are just allegations and I can prove this to you’.”
Farah reiterated, however, that should Salazar be found guilty he would not hesitate to cut all ties immediately.
“Alberto has coached me and helped me; there is no question I have won medals with Alberto,” he said. “But if he has crossed the line and is proven to have done so then I am out, trust me.”
Meanwhile, Usain Bolt last night pulled out of the next two Diamond League meetings with a leg injury but insisted he would be fit for August’s World Championships.
American athlete Galen Rupp qualified for the World Championships after weeks of doping allegations against him.
Rupp will compete in both the 5,000 metres and 10,000 metres in Beijing in August after his performances in the US trials in Oregon.
Rupp finished third in the 5,000m yesterday behind winner Ryan Hill and Benjamin True having won the 10,000m on Thursday.
The 29-year-old was featured in a BBC Panorama documentary broadcast earlier this month which claimed coach Alberto Salazar had given him the banned anabolic steroid testosterone in 2002, when he was 16 years old.
Both have denied the allegation with Salazar, who also coaches British Olympic champion Mo Farah penning a 12,000-word open letter last week addressing each accusation in detail. Salazar, meanwhile, has revealed he was never in doubt that Farah would stick by him.
— Bernard Lagat (@Lagat1500) June 29, 2015
Salazar is reportedly under investigation by the US Anti-Doping Agency with investigators questioning athletes at the Nike Oregon Project, leaving open the possibility that double Olympic champion Farah could be quizzed as well.
There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing on the part of Farah. The 32-year-old confirmed that he was sticking by Salazar and the coach does not believes there was ever a chance he would leave.
“There was never any doubt in my mind he was going to stay,” he told the Telegraph. Farah is to return to the track on July 9, for the first time since the allegations broke. Organisers of the Diamond League meeting in Lausanne say Farah will compete in the 5,000 metres.
He is also due to run in the Diamond League meeting in Monaco on July 17.