Manny Pacquiao team says Jeff Horn fight will be 'short and sweet'

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Manny Pacquiao.

Manny Pacquiao’s world title fight with Jeff Horn will be “short and sweet” with a knockout likely, his trainer predicted Wednesday, as his Australian challenger said he was “ready for war”.

The legendary Filipino, one of the greatest fighters of his generation, is widely tipped to triumph over the unbeaten Horn in front of an expected 50,000 people at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

“He (Manny) doesn’t like to predict knockouts and so forth but I think it is going to be short and sweet,” trainer Freddie Roach told reporters at a press conference ahead of the World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight bout.

“I think it won’t last too long and someone will get knocked out.”

Roach on Tuesday suggested the fight was a stepping stone for the eight-weight world champion to secure a rematch with American rival Floyd Mayweather, who outpointed Pacquiao in the “Fight of the Century” two years ago.

Horn’s camp hit back, with the former school schoolteacher’s promoters taking a dig at Pacquiao for spending most of the press conference looking at his mobile phone.

“Not only is Manny Pacquiao an eleven-time world champion… he is also a world champion texter, because he never gets off his bloody phone,” Dean Lonergan said.

Horn’s trainer Glenn Rushton accused Pacquiao’s camp of underestimating his 29-year-old challenger and said the so-called “Battle of Brisbane” would become the “fight of the year”.

“My vision for this fight is it will be a late stoppage. I think it is going to occur late in the fight after… all of these rounds. I personally believe this will be the fight of the year,” Rushton said.

“I do think Freddie and Manny are probably underestimating Jeff even though I know they say they are not because he is too experienced not to prepare properly.

“But I do think when they get out there, it’s going to be so different. I think this will become Manny’s toughest fight… we’ve trained as hard as we’ve ever trained for this fight, so we’re ready for war.”

Pacquiao (59-6-2, 38 knockouts) briefly retired last year before making a comeback to win the WBO welterweight title against Jesse Vargas in November, as he juggles boxing with his duties as a senator in the Philippines.

Most popular

Related Sections

Talking points from Bellator New York as Chael Sonnen walks the walk and Michael Chandler is a wobbling warrior

Alex Rea 26/06/2017
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Sonnen celebrates his victory over Silva at Bellator 180 (picture via Bellator Facebook)

There is always a tinge of oddity to Bellator events but no one could have quite anticipated the weird narrative which played out in their big New York debut on Saturday.

From the bizarre fashion Michael Chandler relinquished his lightweight crown, to the extremely rare double knockdown exhibited by Matt Mitrione and Fedor Emelianenko, Bellator 180 was a showcase of strange.

But everything that could have went wrong, did so, and it couldn’t have happened on a worse stage as the event was supposed to be the crowning moment for a promotion snapping at the heels of the UFC.

Indeed, under stewardship of the well-respected promoter Scott Coker, the Viacom-backed company are quickly developing into a genuine competitor for an MMA landscape dominated by the UFC.

Big money free agent signings such as welterweight star Rory MacDonald and former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson has allowed Bellator to stamp their own authority on a MMA market which is beginning to gain mainstream notoriety.

What won’t have helped their cause, though, is how their maiden event in the Big Apple turned into a car crash.

Still, it was impossible to turn your eyes away, so we analyse the major talking points from Madison Square Garden after a fun night for the fans but a bad night for Bellator.

SONNEN WALKS THE WALK AFTER TALKING THE TALK

Chael Sonnen has long been considered one of the best trash talkers in MMA but his ability to cut a promo hasn’t always translated into success in the cage.

But after a decade of disagreement with Wanderlei Silva, Sonnen ground out a clean sweep on the judges’ scorecards in the main event to earn his first win since 2013.

It also went some way to banishing the memory of the former UFC star’s pitiful Bellator debut defeat to Tito Ortiz.

MSG SHOULD BE THE LAST RING WALK FOR THE LAST EMPEROR

Fedor Emelianenko will forever be remembered as one of the best to do it.

Yet, the 40-year-old Russian is seemingly intent on tarnishing his legacy and his first-round KO loss to Matt Mitrione is further evidence of that.

It’s time to retire even if he came to close to an unlikely victory of his own following a freak double knockdown. Both Mitrone and Emelianenko were decked by twin right-hands but the former recovered quickest to apply the finish.

Sweet symmetry but not a sour ending for the Last Emperor.

CHANDLER IS A WOBBLING WARRIOR

They don’t make them tougher or more courageous than Michael Chandler and Saturday was justification of that sentiment.

Chandler lost his lightweight belt to Brent Primus in bizarre circumstances as after rolling his ankle in the first round, the ring-side doctor pulled him out of the bout.

It wasn’t without valiant effort, though, as Chandler incredibly nearly knocked out Primus despite his flopping ankle restricting him to fighting on one leg.

To add insult to injury, he was sent sprawling to the canvas after his stool was pulled out from under him as he stood up during the doctor’s assessment and roared to continue fighting.

No moment illustrated the narrative of Bellator’s night better than that.

THE MOST TOUTED MMA DEBUTANT EVER IS CHOKED OUT

The Aaron Pico train hadn’t even left the station but the hype has already been derailed.

The 20-year-old was labelled as a next generation superstar with ESPN profiling him and posing the question “Is he the greatest prospect in MMA history?”.

But just 24 seconds into his pro-MMA debut, some 31 months since signing a development deal with Bellator, he was tapped out by Zach Freeman.

The sequence was horrible. Pico ate knee, failed with a terrible clinch, attempted a wild swing, got caught with an uppercut then failed to protect his neck before the world-class wrestler was tapped immediately to a guillotine choke.

In a world where first impressions are everything, Pico gave nothing to shout about.

GOOD WEEK

James Gallagher

It wasn’t all bad news for Bellator. Gallagher, the rising Irish star and team-mate of Conor McGregor, produced a stunning first-round submission against Chinzo Machida to send the Emerald Isle contingent inside MSG wild.

The 20-year-old proceeded to call out Bellator featherweight champion Patricio Freire who responded on Twitter by saying: “I’ll fight you in Croke Park. Bring your daddy @TheNotoriousMMA to see you get beat up from the front row.”

BAD WEEK

Lorenz Larkin

Larkin followed the trend of UFC turned Bellator fighters who have lost on debut. Benson Henderson, Chael Sonnen and Josh Koscheck all lost their first fight under the Bellator banner and Larkin joined them as Douglas Lima cruised past him to earn a comfortable decision.

Larkin was dropped in the second and struggled to get past Lima’s long arms to land anything clean as the welterweight champ eased to victory to defend his belt.

In one of Bellator’s deeper divisions, Larkin will have to earn his way back up to another title shot.

FLASHBACK

2006 – Bisping debuts in the UFC

At 37 years old and with the UFC middleweight belt wrapped around his waist, it’s fair to say Michael Bisping’s prime has come a little later than most, especially when you consider he debuted with the promotion 11 years ago this week.

Indeed, Bisping stopped Josh Haynes in the second round to be crowned the The Ultimate Fighter season three winner – a light-heavyweight tournament.

He fought at 205lbs for four fights before dropping down to 185lbs, the division he now rules.

Most popular

Manny Pacquiao: "I will be going home as world champion"

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Manny Pacquiao.

Philippine boxing great Manny Pacquiao arrived in Australia ahead of his title fight with Jeff Horn and declared: “I will be going home as world champion.”

The “Pac Man” touched down in Brisbane late Saturday from Manila with a large entourage for his World Boxing Organization welterweight title bout at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane next weekend.

“In all my years of boxing, I have never been as motivated and fired up as this fight,” he told reporters at the airport.

“My team is very happy with my preparation. I am looking forward to this and I will be going home as world champion.”

Pacquiao (59-6-2, 38 knockouts) is a clear favourite against Horn, although the Filipino great has not stopped an opponent since his 12th round TKO of Miguel Cotto in 2009.

The eight-weight world champion has said he is using the bout as an opportunity to prove he remains a global force at the age of 38 as he juggles boxing with a full-time job as a senator in the Philippines.

“I’m so thankful for this great opportunity to be here in Australia and fight here, and the warm welcome of the people here,” Pacquiao said.

“I think this is one of the biggest crowds that I’m going to fight to. I love the fans shouting and cheering for me, or for Horn. I like that, it’s exciting.”

Pacquiao, who briefly retired early last year before making a successful comeback against Jessie Vargas in Las Vegas in November, will need to be on song against the unbeaten Horn, who has won 16 of his 17 fights with one draw.

A relatively unknown physical education teacher, the 29-year-old Australian has been dubbed the “fighting schoolteacher” by promoters, who say the 50,000-seat Suncorp Stadium is almost sold out.

“I consider him a tough opponent,” Pacquiao said. “I never underestimate my opponent. He’s undefeated, he’s young. I like aggressive fighters.”

Most popular

Related Sections