MMA star Conor McGregor switched to the boxing ring to make one of the richest professional fights in history possible and now Floyd Mayweather hints he might return the favour.
Mayweather, who hasn’t fought since knocking out McGregor in that boxing match last year, teased fans by posting a picture on his Twitter page of himself wearing mixed martial arts gloves and standing in an UFC cage.
“Billion Dollar Man,” Mayweather said in the tweet.
Mayweather and McGregor’s cross-combat fight in August failed to live up to the hype in the ring as veteran Mayweather easily outpunched the inexperienced McGregor. But the match-up did well at the box office.
The contest generated 4.3 million pay-per-view buys in North America, trailing only Mayweather’s 2015 world title boxing match with Filipino Manny Pacquiao that generated 4.6 million buys and earned $600 million.
It is the second time this week Mayweather has teased his fans with the idea. Earlier this week he posted video on Twitter and Instagram of himself shadow boxing in a cage.
He said “Come at the king, you best not miss…”
Mayweather’s August fight with the Irishman was supposed to be his last as it secured his perfect 50-0 record. But the American has retired several times only to negotiate “comeback” fights for bigger paydays.
Amir Khan‘s ring comeback will see him face Phil Lo Greco in Liverpool on April 21.
Khan recently signed a promotional deal with Eddie Hearn after a spell out of the sport, and the 31-year-old is now in training for his return.
“I can’t wait to get back into the ring on April 21 at the Echo Arena in Liverpool,” said Khan.
“Phil Lo Greco will be coming with everything to win this fight and I’m not going to give him an inch. He’s an aggressive fighter who is always looking to press the fight and come forward. That makes for a very exciting and action-packed fight for the fans.
“That makes for a very exciting and action-packed fight for the fans.
“I respect him as a fighter and know he will be coming with big ambitions, but I’m going to put on a great performance and prove to the boxing world that the ‘King’ is well and truly back.”
Gennady Golovkin and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez fought to a draw in the hotly-anticipated world middleweight title showdown in Las Vegas.
Golovkin was bidding to defend his WBC, WBA and IBF belts against Alvarez in the bout at the T-Mobile Arena.
But the match was too close to call, with the judges declaring a split draw at the end of 12 rounds – when many believed that Govolkin would walk away the unified champion.
The scores declared by the judges were: 118-110 (Alvarez), 115-113 (Golovkin) and 114-114.
Twitter reacted in kind.
Boxing is a mad game. pic.twitter.com/Nyzywv8H7O
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) September 17, 2017
Both fighters can hold their heads high tonight but this fight wasn’t close to a draw! #canelovsggg
— Lennox Lewis (@LennoxLewis) September 17, 2017
I thought GGG won. Those scores were just bananas.
— Jerry Ferrara (@jerryferrara) September 17, 2017
.@GGGBoxing showed the world just how good he is. Said he never fought no one. Everyone dodging him till he’s nearly over the hill.
— Dale Earnhardt Jr. (@DaleJr) September 17, 2017
Adelaide bird gave Canelo 10 rounds lmao
— Daniel Cormier (@dc_mma) September 17, 2017
I think ggg won. They need to let them go 5 more rounds. Or a draw and fight again next week lol
— Dwight Howard (@DwightHoward) September 17, 2017
— Ken Walker (@RollPlanes__) September 17, 2017
— Jimmie Rivera (@JimmieRivera135) September 17, 2017
Also, that wasn’t a draw. At all. GGG
— Will Cain (@willcain) September 17, 2017
I tell you which boxing match didn’t end in controversy and everyone went home happy … (/ducks) pic.twitter.com/ARoZoKrRG7
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) September 17, 2017
Did they bring these judges over from Australia? 😂 #CaneloGGG
— Manny Pacquiao (@mannypacquiao) September 17, 2017