Manny Pacquiao "not surprised" as WBO upheld loss to Jeff Horn after review but tweet indicates he won't retire

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Manny Pacquiao is “not surprised” the World Boxing Organization affirmed the loss of his welterweight title to Australian Jeff Horn, but the Philippine ring legend railed at large at judges who “manipulated results”.

The WBO ordered a review of the scoring of the July 2 Brisbane bout at the request of the Philippines’ Games and Amusements Board, which criticised the judges and the referee.

The WBO set up a panel of independent and anonymous judges to watch the bout without sound and determine who won each round. On Tuesday it said the judges found Horn won seven rounds to Pacquiao’s five.

“We have seen worse judgments in the past where judges manipulated results. Nothing surprises me now,” Pacquiao said in a statement late Tuesday.

He did not name the judges nor mention the specific fights in his allegations.

“Let the people judge for themselves. People saw what happened,” said the 38-year-old, who had won world titles in an unprecedented eight weight divisions.

The undefeated but unheralded Horn, 29, had stunned the Filipino legend with his ultra-aggressiveness to earn a unanimous decision.

But the Filipino’s camp alleged the referee let the Australian get away with illegal tactics.

The WBO ordered the review while stressing it did not have the power to reverse a decision unless fraud or law violations were proven.

Pacquiao had endorsed the call for a review issued by the Filipino sports regulatory, which lashed out at the “unfair decision and officiating” of the fight.

In a statement sent to AFP on Wednesday, the Filipino regulator thanked the WBO for looking into the fight but blamed American referee Mark Nelson for the results.

“No matter what review they do, it will be hard to change the result as the referee didn’t call it close,” said board chairman Abraham Kahlil Mitra.

“The judges’ scores would have greatly changed if the referee did his job properly,” Mitra alleged.

“He (referee) didn’t give (Senator) Manny Pacquiao the respect and fair protection that is due to a people’s champ,” Mitra said, referring to Pacquiao’s elected post as a Philippine senator.

Horn, a former schoolteacher written off before the bout by most observers, welcomed on Tuesday the ruling as “evidence” of his victory.

“It’s definitely nice to have it finally put on paper,” said Horn, who had been keen for a rematch.

Jeff Horn looks on during the clash with Manny Pacquiao

In the twilight of a 22-year pro career, Pacquiao had initially called for a rematch, but later said he would also “think hard” about retiring.

Pacquiao briefly quit boxing last year to pursue his long-held political ambitions and was elected senator. But he quickly made a successful comeback against Jessie Vargas in November, saying he still felt like a youngster.

Pacquiao’s loss to Horn had prompted calls that he retire for good.

Provided by AFP Sport

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

WBO scoring review rules Jeff Horn beat Manny Pacquiao

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Jeff Horn.

Australian Jeff Horn’s shock welterweight title victory over Manny Pacquiao was confirmed Tuesday after a scoring review by the World Boxing Organization declared him the clear winner.

The WBO took a close look at the fight after Pacquiao, backed by the Philippine government’s sports regulatory body, criticised the referee and the judges and demanded a review after losing in Brisbane on July 2.

Horn stunned the Filipino legend – who has won world titles in an unprecedented eight weight divisions – with his ultra-aggressiveness to earn a unanimous 12-round decision.

The WBO – which does not have the power to reverse a decision unless fraud or law violations are proven – set up a panel of independent judges who were asked to watch the bout without sound and determine who won each round.

The results were tabulated to show clearly the rounds each fighter won using an average scale based on 60, 80 and 100 percent, with three of the five officials needing to be in agreement.

A similar method has been used to review WBO title fights before.

“Upon the analysis, the findings stated that Pacquiao won the 3rd, the 8th and 9th by 100 percent; the 5th round was won by 80 percent; and the 11th round by 60 percent,” the WBO said in a statement.

“Horn won the 1st, 6th and 12th rounds by 100 percent; rounds 2, 4, and 7 by 80 percent; and then, the 10th round by 60 percent.

“From the results, it can be established that Pacquiao won five rounds while Horn won seven rounds. Based on this analysis, Jeff Horn was the winner of the bout.”

Horn welcomed the review when it was announced, and said he was ready for a rematch, an option specified in the Brisbane fight contract.

“Let them review it,” the 29-year-old told Queensland’s Courier Mail newspaper. “They will see it on a TV screen and probably see the same thing everyone else saw – me winning the fight.”

Both the Philippine board and Pacquiao had criticised American referee Mark Nelson for supposedly allowing the underdog Australian to get away with illegal tactics without giving him warnings or point deductions.

The loss sparked calls in the Philippines for the 38-year-old Pacquiao, a national icon after rising from poverty, to retire and concentrate on politics.

Pacquiao briefly retired from boxing last year to pursue his long-held political ambitions and was elected senator. But he quickly made a successful comeback against Jessie Vargas in November, saying he still felt like a youngster.

Provided by AFP Sport

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

Manny Pacquiao calls for the WBO to review controversial loss to Jeff Horn citing "unfair decision and officiating"

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Philippine boxing legend Manny Pacquiao on Wednesday urged the World Boxing Organization (WBO) to review the “unfair decision and officiating” after losing his welterweight title to Australia’s Jeff Horn.

Pacquiao endorsed a formal call by the Philippines’ Games and Amusement Board for the WBO to review the outcome of Sunday’s fight in Brisbane.

“I love boxing and I don’t wanna see it dying because of unfair decision and officiating,” Pacquiao, 38, said in a statement issued by his office.

“I had already accepted the decision but as a leader and, at the same time, fighter I have the moral obligation to uphold sportsmanship, truth and fairness in the eyes of the public,” said Pacquiao, also a sitting senator.

In the twilight of a 22-year pro career in which he won world titles in an unprecedented eight weight divisions, Pacquiao had initially called for a rematch, but later said he would also “think hard” about retiring.

Widely written off by observers, Horn, 29, shocked Pacquiao with his ultra-aggressiveness to earn a unanimous 12-round decision.

A day after the bout, the Philippines’ sports regulatory body wrote the WBO calling for a “thorough review” on the decisions of American referee Mark Nelson and the judges.

“We are making this request for a review, which may call for sanctions on the referee and judges if so warranted, in furtherance of our mutual goal of protecting the integrity of the sport,” the board wrote.

Pacquiao attached a copy of the letter to his own statement.

“WBO should take appropriate action on the letter sent by the Games and Amusement Board so as not to erode the people’s interest in boxing,” Pacquiao said.

The WBO on Tuesday responded to the controversy in its Twitter account.

“The discretion of a referee or judge cannot be reversed, except in a case of fraud or violation of laws which is not the case in Pac vs Horn,” the WBO said.

“The contract for Pac vs Horn provides a rematch clause, which the WBO is in accordance (with) if the promoters decide to move forward.”

While saying he respected the fight outcome, Pacquiao had questioned the referee’s decisions and made disparaging comments about Horn.

“He’s not really good but he’s really strong,” Pacquiao said of Horn on Monday, while the Filipino’s camp criticised the referee for supposedly allowing the undefeated Australian to get away with a host of illegal tactics.

“The problem here is that the referee, I don’t know if he did it deliberately or he just did not have experience, he just allowed it and did not even give any warning for how many times,” Pacquiao said.

“It’s as if the referee wanted to help my opponent.”

Manny Pacquiao v Jeff Horn

Provided by AFP Sport

Most popular

Related Tags