Gennady Golovkin is one of the most dedicated boxers in the world and even the birth of his daughter couldn’t pry him out of the gym.
The three-belt champion missed the birth on Friday because he was training for his upcoming world middleweight title fight.
Golovkin stayed in the gym for two hours after his wife, Alina, gave birth to the couple’s second child. They also have a son.
“He didn’t leave the gym until 6 pm,” Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez said. “The baby was born at 4 pm.
“His wife was in the hospital for one day. She came home next day so he was home with them.”
Golovkin, who holds the World boxing Council, World boxing Association and International boxing Federation middleweight belts, will face Canelo Alvarez in a 12-round mega title fight on Saturday in Las Vegas.
Sanchez said he was concerned during the long training camp about how Golovkin was doing with the baby on the way and the most important fight of his career around the corner.
“I started to voice my concern. ‘The baby’s not here’. He said ‘coach the baby is going to come whether I am there or not. I have already done my part.'”
Sanchez said Golovkin has been in high spirits as the fight preparation shifted this week from their training camp to Las Vegas.
“He is in a great mood. I don’t know if it is because of the baby being here or if because he finally got the fight he wanted,” Sanchez said.
Sanchez says Golovkin is a good father and just as dedicated to his family as he is to his work.
“Golovkin is a family man. He has always been very, very, very focused,” Sanchez said.
“He has never been the type of guy to go out at night. You are never going to lose him for a day.
“He just bought his first car six months ago. He didn’t have a car before because he said he spends all his time in the gym.”
Golovkin declined to speak about the birth at a news conference on Wednesday at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino.
“Please don’t ask me about my family. I am just focused on boxing,” he said.
— Gennady Golovkin (@GGGBoxing) September 13, 2017
Manny Pacquiao said on Sunday he was still wanted a rematch with Jeff Horn after the Filipino boxing hero pulled out of their scheduled bout in Australia later his year.
Queensland’s premier, whose state government was the financial backer of a November 12 fight, announced on Friday that Pacquiao “cannot return to the ring” due to other commitments.
“It will not push through there in Australia. But we are bringing the fight here in the Philippines,” Pacquiao said on radio station DZBB, adding negotiations were ongoing.
“This will be good for our country’s tourism.”
Pacquiao, 38, had initially called for a rematch after losing his World Boxing Organization welterweight title to the 29-year-old on points Horn in a major upset in Brisbane on July 2.
Pacquiao, who has won world titles in an unprecedented eight weight divisions, had demanded a review of the bout but the WBO declared Horn the clear winner after a panel of judges re-scored the fight.
Now in the twilight of a 22-year professional career, Pacquiao has not stopped an opponent in eight years and briefly quit boxing last year to pursue his long-held political ambitions and was elected senator.
But he quickly made a successful comeback against Jessie Vargas in November, saying he still felt like a youngster.
Pacquiao has defied calls to retire for good, including from his family and celebrated American trainer Freddie Roach.
Pacquiao dismissed funding concerns about hosting the multi-million dollar fight in the Philippines.
“We have lots of friends who are supporting us including our tourism (department). The president is giving his all-out support,” Pacquiao said referring to his political ally Rodrigo Duterte.
Amir Khan is awaiting a date for a return to the ring so that he can finally put his miserable year behind him.
During his inactivity following the knockout defeat by Saul Alvarez, he has twice overhauled his team, struggled with a persistent hand injury, split from his wife Faryal Makhdoom, and wrongly accused her of cheating on him with Anthony Joshua.
Khan recently met with advisor Al Haymon and hopes to fight again before the year’s end as he begins what he believes will be the final three years of his career.
He is also willing to consider an eventual fight with rival Kell Brook on the condition Brook is not working with promoter Eddie Hearn, but only after he has again won a world title and pursued rematches with Lamont Peterson and Danny Garcia.
Khan’s old team is again by his side after the fighter had previously decided to work without father Shah, his uncle Taz and close friend Saj Mohamed, who were once his closest aides.
He is also again punching after his right hand required a third operation, and therefore finally looking towards the future that had once shown such promise.
“It’s always tough,” Khan responded when asked how difficult the past months had been. “This has only given me the chance now to focus more on boxing. I’m going to have to prove people wrong.
“I need my old team back, those hard days of training, be dedicated. These are the last few years in my career, where I focus and don’t make no more mistakes.
“From these fallouts, you learn to know yourself as well, and see everything around you. You get to see the real people around you, who’s really looking out for you and who’s not. I’ve got to see a lot of those things that make a lot of sense to me.
“There’s a lot of people saying ‘We can help you, we can do this for you, we can do that for you’. Your family’s always going to be there looking out for your best interests.
“There was a lot of people who wanted to help but wanted to be looked out for themselves a lot more.
“I want to fight end of November, or early December. I know it’s been a long time since the hand (injury), I had to have a third operation, but the hand’s good now.
“I want to keep busy for the next three years, work hard, and then relax.
“(The ring is) where I’m comfortable. I need one fight, get it over, and then it’s back to normal again.
“I want to win another world title and I want to get at least four to five fights, then call it a day.
“I’m left with that now and that’s what I’m going to do.”
Khan also revealed he and Joshua had spoken since he had apologised for wrongly writing that he and Makhdoon, who reportedly could receive half of his £30million fortune through their divorce, had been seeing each other before their split.
“He rang me,” said the 31-year-old, whose 2017 was also undermined by the collapse of a fight with Manny Pacquiao. “Everything’s cool. I said ‘Look, everything was a misunderstanding’. He goes ‘I want to be able to come over and shake your hand, champ. We want to keep that respect and love’.
A fight will Brook will long remain an option, but he said: “The only way I would take that fight is if he left Eddie Hearn. I just don’t like Eddie Hearn, He’s very disrespectful and he’s never come clear with me.
“Eddie Hearn said to me he knows I’d beat Kell Brook; there are levels in boxing. I don’t really rate Kell Brook. I could take that fight and beat him but why should I give him the opportunity when he just talks trash all the time?”