Mayweather vs McGregor bout boxing's second-richest ever fight

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor put up the second-richest fight in history.

Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor‘s cross-combat superfight was the second-richest boxing bout in history, long-awaited final figures revealed on Friday.

A statement from Showtime Sports said the August fight between boxing star Mayweather and mixed martials arts king McGregor generated 4.3 million pay-per-view buys in North America.

Only one other fight – Mayweather’s 2015 bout with Manny Pacquiao – has ever drawn more, racking up 4.6 million buys to earn around $600 million.

The Mayweather-McGregor pay-per-view total is almost double the third-biggest fight of all time, Oscar De La Hoya’s 2007 fight with Mayweather, which had 2.48 million buys.

Showtime said in a statement that global revenues, including ticket sales, sponsorship and international distribution, Mayweather and McGregor had exceeded $600 million.

Mayweather and McGregor got a huge payday for their fight.

Mayweather and McGregor got a huge payday for their fight.

“The pairing of Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor brought together two very significant and distinct global fan bases in one truly unprecedented event,” Showtime Sports chief Stephen Espinoza told ESPN.

“The remarkable results are all the more impressive considering that the planning, marketing and execution took place across a span of just 72 days from the initial announcement to fight night.”

The Mayweather-McGregor fight was widely dismissed as a circus before the bout, which was eventually won by Mayweather – returning from a two-year retirement — with a 10th round knockout.

Meanwhile Philippine boxing hero Pacquiao said last week he too was seeking his own showdown with McGregor, confirming he had opened talks with the Irishman to possibly fight in April.

Most popular

Related Sections

Fury calls out Joshua after being given all-clear

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Controversial former heavyweight world champion Tyson Fury vowed Tuesday to put the “nightmare of the last two years” behind him and reclaim his world titles after being cleared to resume his career.

The British boxer agreed a compromise with UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) over his positive test for the banned steroid nandrolone, which has resulted in a two-year ban that has been backdated to December 2015.

The 29-year-old has been given the go-ahead to fight again immediately, subject to receiving a licence.

Fury, who has not fought since his shock win against Wladimir Klitschko in November 2015 to become the undisputed heavyweight world champion, said he was looking forward to getting back into the ring.

“I’m a fighting man through and through and I’ve never backed down from anyone in my life and I was certainly not going to back down from fighting this dispute,” he said.

He had been charged along with his cousin Hughie, who also failed a test for nandrolone in February 2015.

“Hughie and I have maintained our innocence from day one and we’re now happy that it has finally been settled with UKAD and that we can move forward knowing that we’ll not be labelled drug cheats,” added Tyson Fury.

“I can now put the nightmare of the last two years behind me… Next year I will be back doing what I do best, better than ever and ready to reclaim the world titles which are rightfully mine.”

Fury immediately laid down a challenge to compatriot Anthony Joshua, who successfully defended his IBF and WBA titles against Carlos Takam in October.

Fury tweeted: “@anthonyfjoshua where you at boy? I’m coming for you punk ent no1 blocking my path now!”
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn has said he wants to see his fighter take on Fury in an all-British showdown next year.

LICENCE SUSPENDED

The Furys were not charged by UKAD until June 2016, by which time Tyson Fury had beaten Klitschko.
Four months later, the British Boxing Board of Control suspended his licence after he had given up his world titles to focus on recovering from mental health problems.

Both Hughie and Tyson Fury have strongly denied the nandrolone charges, saying the positive tests were a result of eating wild boar that had not been castrated.

Tyson Fury 1

Tyson Fury also failed a test for cocaine in September 2016 and later admitted using the recreational drug to deal with depression related to his injury and UKAD problems.

As part of the compromise deal, UKAD withdrew a charge against Tyson Fury of failure to provide a sample in September 2016.

“The anti-doping rule violations based on the reported presence of elevated levels of nandrolone metabolites are upheld, the refusal charge is withdrawn, Hughie and Tyson Fury each receive a two-year period of ineligibility,” the UKAD statement said.

“The two-year period of ineligibility is backdated to 13 December 2015, and therefore expires at midnight on 12 December 2017,” it added.

UKAD added that the two fighters’ results from February 2015 had been disqualified, but that later results, including Fury’s victory over Klitschko, would stand. 

Most popular

Related Sections

Terence Crawford and the best pound for pound boxers in the sport

Alex Rea 11/12/2017
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Terence Crawford carries a 32-0 record in his career so far.

We take a look at five of the best pound for pound fighters in the boxing world at the moment.

TERENCE CRAWFORD

Crawford cleaned out the 140lbs division, unifying four major world titles before moving up to 147lbs. He battered Julius Indongo over three rounds, has looked exceptional in every fight and while he requires a career-defining win, his record of 32-0 speaks for itself.

Crawford has looked exceptional in each flight.

Crawford has looked exceptional in each flight.

VASYL LOMACHENKO

Based on skills, there is no better boxer in the world right now. The Ukrainian‘s footwork is unmatched but to be P4P, a bigger body of work is required. Rigondeaux was a huge scalp but the Cuban was stepping up two divisions and was the smaller man.

Lomachenko's footwork in unmatched.

Lomachenko’s footwork in unmatched.

GENNADY GOLOVKIN

Many thought he beat Canelo Alvarez in September but the reality is it ended in a draw. He’s not quite looked like the rampaging middleweight of the last nine years and he needed a clear-cut win over a fellow P4P contender to secure top spot. That didn’t happen.

Golovkin hasn't looked quite as rampant in the last nine years.

Golovkin hasn’t looked quite as rampant in the last nine years.

MIKEY GARCIA

Arguably the only man with the skills to match Lomachenko, Garcia has returned to the conversation after successfully moving up to 140lbs to dominate Adrien Broner. Garcia is at the peak of his powers and is open to fights from 135lbs to 147lbs.

Garcia is at the peak of his power.

Garcia is at the peak of his power.

CANELO ALVAREZ

He didn’t get beat by Triple G and, given most in the P4P debate haven’t fought another member of the top-five, it’s hard to ignore the Mexican. Canelo is one of the most complete fighters on the planet and can claim top spot if he overthrows Golovkin in a rematch.

Canelo remains one of the most complete fighters.

Canelo remains one of the most complete fighters.

Most popular

Related Sections