Stage 18 witnessed UAE Team Emirates’ Slovenian rider Matej Mohoric form part of the main breakaway for the day ultimately earning him 14th place.
The stage victory went to Sander Armée (Germany) Lotto Soudal with Chris Froome (Team Sky) still in the Red Jersey and UAE Team Emirates’ Louis Meintjes maintaining his 14th position in the General Classification (GC) standings.
Commenting on his breakaway efforts during the stage, Slovenian rider Mohoric said: “We knew that today the breakaway could go to the finish, so our task was to get into the breakaway. I managed to do so, although it was very hard as it consisted of all the strong riders.
“During the day I tried to save as much energy as possible and I gave my best in the penultimate climb where the breakaway split. Then we tried our best to bridge the gap with the leaders in the last kilometers but unfortunately towards the last climb my legs were running on empty.”
Stage 19 begins in Caso (Parque de Redes) and runs 149.7km concluding in Gijón. The route is best suited for attackers and includes four climbs, with the final one 16.6km from the finish line.
Stage 18 results
1. Sander Armée (Germany) Lotto Soudal– 4:09:39
2. Alexey Lutsenko (Kazakhstan) Astana Pro Team – 0:31
3. Giovanni Visconti (Italy) Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team – 0:46
14. Matej Mohoric (Slovenia) UAE Team Emirates – 02:49
1. Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky – 72:03:50
2. Vincenzo Nibali (Italy) Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team – 01:37
3. Wilco Kelderman (Netherlands) Team Sunweb – 02:17
14. Louis Meintjes (SA) UAE Team Emirates – 13:32