All Blacks great Dan Carter was fined just €1000 when he appeared in a French court on drink driving charges in October, according to recently released court documents AFP has seen.
The 35-year-old two-time World Cup winner who plays at Paris club Racing 92 was arrested in February on charges that can carry custodial sentences of two years.
Carter, who played 112 Tests for New Zealand, lost a sponsorship with Land Rover over the incident, which dented his image as one of rugby’s most marketable players.
The athlete was pulled over and breathalysed in Paris’ chic 17th arrondissement and returned a reading showing a level of 0.87mg/l, which would normally see a driver lose six points from their licence.
“It would not seem necessary, given the slight gravity of the facts, to pronounce a prison sentence,” the document from October reads.
“Much as I’d love to say I’ve moved on from it, it’s something I’m going to have to live with for the rest of my life,” Carter said in October.
“It actually made me feel sick and it makes me feel sick now, thinking and talking about it.
Carter will leave Racing 92 and sign a two-year contract with Japanese club Kobelco Steelers at the end of the season.
Brett Gosper, CEO of World Rugby, has leapt to the defence of controversial French Rugby President Bernard Laporte.
Laporte last month launched a stinging public attack on World Rugby’s bid process for the 2023 Rugby World Cup describing the governing body’s evaluation of the three host nations (South Africa, France and Ireland) as “laughable”, “nonsense” and “incompetence.”
“He (Laporte) made some comments when the report came out but we’ve had discussions since and he did apologise for the comments that he made,” Gosper revealed to Sport360° exclusively at the launch of the Asia Under 17s Girls Sevens at Sports City on Thursday.
Despite calling Laporte’s comments “unacceptable”, Gosper stopped short of admitting that the former Toulon coaches’ attempts at undermining the bid process had ultimately succeeded.
“He’s a very passionate guy,” explained Gosper, “they (France) were very committed and sure of their dossier, so what he said, although in form probably wasn’t acceptable, he explained himself – and they’ve come through that process now and been successful.”
The highly regarded sports administrator denied the controversy had “tarnished” rugby’s image.
“I wouldn’t say its tarnished the sport, I think it’s all part of the passion that’s in the game. It would have been preferable if he (Laporte) kept the comments lower key but that’s how it was.”
Gosper said Laporte’s actions had not discredited the bid process, despite the recommended host South Africa being passed over in favour of Laporte’s French bid.
“I think they (the bid nations) all played by the rules,” he stated. “Yes there was a recommendation that was given by Rugby World Cup Board based on what technically our scoring system provided (was) the best scoring of any of the candidates.
“Then you pass that on in the form of recommendation to the (World Rugby) Council. The Council has a slightly different prism in which they look at things and what is in their Union’s interest.”
Gosper said that the defining element for the Council, comprised of representatives of the sports top playing nations and confederations, was not the technically best bid but which offered the possibility of the greatest financial reward for the participating Unions.
“There’s no question that the French were at a high level particularly in the finance area,” Gosper said, “and we (World Rugby) weighted the finance probably not as strong as the Council who voted for the ultimate winner.”
He said France however were well-placed to host their second Rugby World Cup.
“We’ve got a great winner,” Gosper finished, “disappointing for both Ireland and South Africa who did remarkable bids. All three of these potential hosts could have been hosts and as it turned out France won it.”
The bid process has been heavily criticised and already the World Rugby Chairman, Bill Beaumont, has suggested there will be changes for the selection of the host of RWC 2027.
Scotland romped to a record 53-24 victory over 14-man Australia at Murrayfield on Saturday, as a 39th-minute red card for tighthead prop Sekope Kepu led to an eight-try thrashing.
Australia’s ill-discipline proved costly again, after the Wallabies had captain Michael Hooper and full-back Kurtley Beale yellow-carded in the 30-6 loss to England at Twickenham last week, while head coach Michael Cheika was subjected to a World rugby investigation because of his reaction.
This time Cheika could have had no complaints when Kepu was sent off by French referee Pascal Gauzere after clearly smashing a forearm flush into the face of Scotland flanker Hamish Watson at a ruck.
Australia were 12-10 ahead at the time but with 14 men they conceded six tries — making seven in total — before they were reduced to 13 players in the 78th minute and Scotland crossed again.
Townsend’s team ended up smashing both their record margin of victory against the Wallabies (previously nine points in a 24-15 victory in 1981) and their highest points tally against the men in green and gold (34 in their controversial 35-34 World Cup quarter-final defeat in 2015).
It was Scotland’s best points tally against a Tier-One nation, eclipsing the 38 they put past Ireland in 1997, and the final tally was also the highest aggregate points score in a fixture between the two countries.
Australia scored four tries of their own, two by centre Tevita Kuridrani, but it was another depressing afternoon for Cheika and former skipper Stephen Moore in his last match before retiring.
Scotland lost star full-back Stuart Hogg to a hip injury in the pre-match warm-up but still managed to back up both their 24-19 win against the Wallabies in Sydney in June and their outstanding showing in the 22-17 defeat by New Zealand last week.
MCGUIGAN STARS ON FIRST START
Fly-half Finn Russell kicked them into a 3-0 lead with a 14th-minute penalty and two minutes later winger Byron McGuigan, making his first start as a stand-in for Hogg, took advantage of turnover ball to hack up field and dribble the ball over the line for his first international try.
With Russell’s conversion, Scotland found themselves 10-0 to the good but after 33 minutes Kuridrani got on the end of fly-half Bernard Foley’s perfectly-judged grubber kick to score his first try. Three minutes later Foley teed up Kuridrani for his second try in three minutes.
Foley missed the conversion and from that two-point lead the visitors proceeded to implode in a costly minute of madness before the interval.
Kepu saw red, then Scotland scrum-half Ali Price picked up the ball from the back of a maul and jinked over for try that Russell converted to give Scotland a 17-12 half-time lead.
The Wallabies drew level three minutes into the second half, Beale darting between Watson and Russell to score.
Foley’s scuffed conversion left the scores tied but Scotland started to make the most of their man advantage, scoring two tries in four minutes.
After 45 minutes, Scotland wing Maitland took advantage of turnover ball, racing up the left touchline to score, before lock Jonny Gray raced over from ten yards out just four minutes later.
Russell converted the latter and Scotland were 29-17 ahead.
Townsend’s team had their fifth try in the 55th minute, Russell catching the Australian defence off guard with a tap-penalty and shipping the ball to Russell, who jinked past three defenders to claim his seventh try in only 11 internationals.
On the hour the South African-born McGuigan claimed his second try and — after a 68th-minute try by Australia’s replacement lock Loptei Timani — in the final six minutes there were further Scotland tries from captain John Barclay and hooker Stuart McInally, the latter coming after Beale had been yellow carded for slapping the ball out of play in the in-goal area.
Provided by AFP Sport