The 35-year-old sustained a serious anterior cruciate ligament injury during the pre-season defeat in Connacht and is expected to be sidelined for up to nine months.
“Jimmy Gopperth has undergone an ACL reconstruction following an injury sustained in Connacht. Estimated absence – six to nine months,” said Wasps in an injury update.
New Zealand-born Gopperth’s setback has left Wasps short of fly-halves as Danny Cipriani moved on to Gloucester earlier this summer.
Former All Blacks and Highlanders fly-half Lima Sopoaga has joined the London club for the 2018/19 season, but does not arrive until next week.
He has scored 1,290 points in six Premiership seasons with Newcastle and Wasps...— Rugby on BT Sport (@btsportrugby) August 27, 2018
But Jimmy Gopperth now faces up to nine months out after ACL surgery.
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Jimmy! pic.twitter.com/CFt5jEdIqp
Billy Searle, 22, who arrived from Bristol in May, started in the number 10 role in Saturday’s friendly win against Ulster.
Wasps director of Rugby David Young confirmed the club will also be without prop Jake Cooper-Woolley and hooker TJ Harris for up to two months after their respective bicep muscle injuries required surgery.
Wasps launch their Premiership campaign at Worcester on Saturday.
Scrum-half Care has tipped new boss Gustard to reinvigorate Quins and help him push back towards further Test honours with England.
Harlequins slumped to a 10th-place Premiership finish last term, with Rugby director John Kingston paying the price by losing his job.
Care was rested for England’s summer tour to South Africa, so is now itching to revitalise proceedings with both club and country.
And the 31-year-old thinks Gustard is the perfect man to help him do just that, comparing Quins’ new head of Rugby to likeable Liverpool manager Klopp.
“From day one since I met Gussie (Gustard), I’ve loved working with him,” said Care of Gustard.
“He reminds me of a Klopp-type manager, a guy that makes you work incredibly hard but is also the guy to put his arm around you if you need, and he’s a mate as well.
“He’s going to be on us this year to drive standards, especially us older boys to help out with that.
“If you get to know him, you know all he wants to do is win. He hates losing, and we’re quite similar in that respect.
“He’s got a tough edge that I love about him, but he’ll put his arm around you if you need it.
“Last year definitely hurt, it’s my 13th year at the club, I love the club, and to be down where we were, losing games the way we were, it’s something I’d never really experienced to that point.
“We were embarrassed about, and it was hard. But the club has made the decision this year to bring in new faces and take the club in a new direction.
“I do feel it was needed, we needed some new voices. Not taking anything away from the coaches that had been here before, they had all done brilliant things for the club.
“But I feel the club is going in the right direction now, the right people are pushing that forward. And as players we have to take a lot of responsibility, and we owe the club some good performances this year.”
Initially Care admitted he did not want a summer’s rest when England boss Eddie Jones told him he would not be touring South Africa.
Now Care has realised the benefits of that break – but also concedes he must start from scratch in pushing back towards England’s number nine shirt.
“When I met with Eddie (Jones) and he said he thought the best thing for me was a rest and a summer off, at the time I probably couldn’t see the bigger picture,” said Care.
“I’m desperate to play for England, so you don’t want to miss a game and you definitely don’t want to miss a tour to South Africa.
“Looking back now, he knows what he’s talking about I think. I definitely feel physically and mentally in the best shape I’ve been in at the start of a season.
“I’ve always said, if you’re playing well then you deserve your shot. So for me nothing’s changed in my mind this year, I’ll need to play well for my club to deserve the chance to wear the shirt again.
“And hopefully I can do that as I’m desperate to get back in.”
Abu Dhabi Saracens have taken the decision to relegate themselves into the UAE Conference and only enter one senior men’s team into competition for the 2018/19 UAE rugby season.
The decision, labelled “responsible and realistic”, was taken by the club at a committee meeting recently with a view to continue a club rebuild after what has been a turbulent few years for the 2015 West Asia champions.
The club say its plan revolves around providing the best opportunities for the players to enjoy their rugby, still compete at a good level and deliver more successes from the hard work everyone at the new-look outfit has been putting in over the last 12 months.
“Since overcoming many of the difficulties from their recent past, the Saracens committee has decided to endorse a plan to continue rebuilding their foundations,” said director of rugby Peter Henderson.
“While we launched an unprecedented pre-season campaign for the players’ strength and conditioning as well as a media campaign (recently) we must not lose sight of our goals as a rugby club and the values we believe in.
“It serves us no long term gain to extend beyond the absolute limits of our means. The stresses to the players who would be required to step up a grade should injury or unavailability of other players dictate, as well as the financial cost to the club to travel to West Asia Cup and Premiership games, needed to be considered.
“Entering one team into the Conference league offers us unprecedented depth in our ranks, does not extend club finances beyond our means and gives the players real expectations of success on the pitch.
“We need to be responsible, realistic and maintain the passion every Sarries player and supporter deserves.”
Despite the likes of Henderson and club chairman Jake Basson, as well as a band of dedicated and diligent volunteers, stepping up during the course of last season to rescue Sarries from possible extinction, caution still needs to be preached after a difficult few years.
Former chairman Dave Jackson’s relinquishing of the reins after that West Asia triumph was the catalyst for change, with the club suffering two years of seeing players plundered by rivals.
They started last term homeless following the closure of Al Ghazal Golf Club which resulted in the subsequent loss of their home pitch.
Long-term chairman Jay Danielson returned home to Australia at Christmas and they finished rock bottom of both the West Asia and UAE Premiership.
They survived though and even returned home to Al Ghazal when new owners for the golf club were found.
And even though things are now looking up both on and off the pitch, Sarries are wary of being able to make sure they can get back up on their feet before thinking of entering a race.
“Too many teams are just one or two front row props away from being unable to safely compete,” said Basson, referring to a number of games Sarries were forced to concede during 2017/18.
Saracens had opposed suggestions made within the administration of UAE rugby and by rival teams to impose a fine on teams who forfeit matches.
“Injury or unexpected unavailability to players in key positions such as the front row or tight five happens all the time,” he said.
“To forfeit any game is an absolute last resort and desperate means to put player safety first in such circumstances. It is something no club wishes to ever entertain.
“And then to financially burden clubs already on bare shoestring budgets only rubs salt into the wound.
“What incentive would there be for successful clubs in the Conference or Community League to consider stepping up a division if issues out of their control could render them financially crippled?”
Sarries are in favour of bringing back promotion and relegation to domestic rugby, which has been outlawed in recent seasons, and they have petitioned league organisers to introduce a promotion v relegation play-off.
“No-one wants to see one club dominating at a lower league year in year out as they are obviously playing beneath their true competitive league,” added Basson.
“Similarly no-one enjoys seeing other clubs losing in one-sided matches. A relegation/promotion system of say, if the top two teams from the lower division played the bottom two from the upper division, perhaps could be a consideration and this is what we have proposed to the organisers.
“It may extend the playing season a little in a competition which is already quite short in comparison to other countries.”
Henderson though insists Sarries’ decision should not detract from the positivity emanating from Al Ghazal, and should not be seen as a negative, but as a step taken to secure the club’s future.
“We are revitalised as never before,” added a stoic Henderson.
“The knocks have not stopped coming this season either. The club and committee has been pushed already these recent weeks but we’ve pulled through and are as united as ever.
“Rugby clubs exist for rugby players. It is the players who Saracens will always support to the best of our ability and do whatever we can to give them the opportunity for success on and off the pitch.”
As well as the senior men’s team, Saracens have a growing and strengthening ladies team. Being located so close to such major expat areas like Al Raha Beach, Al Raha Gardens, Al Bandar, Al Muneera, Al Zeina, Al Reef, Khalifia City A and B and Shakhbout, Sarries hope to offer the enjoyment of being part of a club to everyone.
Beverages and a barbecue are readily available pitchside for all events: something no other club can offer.
During the regular season Sarries will train every Monday and Wednesday night from 19:00-20:30. Interested players or social members can visit the website at www.adsaracens.com or email [email protected] for more information.