Three men fined over abuse of England rugby coach Eddie Jones

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Eddie Jones' abusers have been fined

Three men have been fined after they hurled foul-mouthed abuse at England head coach Eddie Jones following Scotland’s Calcutta Cup triumph in February.

Footage released online (see below) showed a group approaching the 58-year-old for a photograph as he left a Manchester railway station to get into a waiting car before the atmosphere turned sour, with expletives hurled at Jones.

Three men from Edinburgh all pleaded guilty to a public order offence of using threatening abusive words and behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

Fines ranged from £105 ($142) to £140 and all three were ordered to pay court costs of £115 each.

Sentencing the trio at Manchester magistrates’ court, chairman of the bench Joe Bangudu said: “This was a short-lived but disgraceful incident. Your language, although described by your defence as industrial, we think was vile and therefore unacceptable directed to anybody.”

Carl Miles, prosecuting, said Jones was travelling on the train a day after his team’s loss in the Six Nations fixture. On the journey were a number of rugby fans including the defendants, who had not been to the game at Murrayfield, which took place on February 24.

Footage of the incident circulated on social media and the defendants voluntarily attended police stations following a media appeal for information.

A fourth defendant pleaded not guilty to the same offence and will go on trial on August 10.

Most popular

Four men to appear in court over verbal abuse of England head coach Eddie Jones

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Eddie Jones has vowed not to use public transport again after the incident

Four men have been summonsed to appear in court after England head Rugby coach Eddie Jones was subject to a barrage of foul-mouthed abuse.

The 58-year-old was travelling from Manchester Oxford Road station on February 25 when a group of men asked to have a photograph taken with him.

But footage released online showed the atmosphere then turned sour, with the men, two of whom could be seen with drinks in their hands, taunting Jones about Scotland’s Calcutta Cup win over England the previous day.

One of the Scotland supporters shouted “what about last night you baldy c***” as the Australian got into a waiting car, and opened the car door so the group could continue shouting abuse.

On Tuesday British Transport Police said four men – three from Edinburgh aged 22, 23 and 25; and a 25-year-old from South Queensferry – had been summonsed to appear at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court on May 16.

They were reported for an alleged public order offence.

Most popular

Ireland's Jacob Stockdale named Six Nations Player of the Tournament

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Ireland wing Jacob Stockdale has reflected on “a truly memorable few weeks” after being named NatWest 6 Nations player of the championship.

The 21-year-old Ulster player scored a Six Nations record seven tries as Ireland secured their first Grand Slam since 2009.

Tournament organisers announced that Stockdale took 32 per cent of the public vote, well clear of his team-mate Conor Murray in second, while fellow Ireland players Johnny Sexton and Keith Earls finished third and fourth, respectively.

“It has been a truly memorable few weeks, making my first NatWest 6 Nations appearance, winning the championship and then going on to complete the Grand Slam against England,” Stockdale said, in a statement released by the Six Nations.

“Breaking the try-scoring record was the cherry on top!

“It’s an absolute honour to win the NatWest player of the championship, especially when you look at the amazing calibre of those short-listed.”

The previous record of six tries in one Six Nations campaign was jointly held by Shane Williams, Chris Ashton and Will Greenwood.

More than 78,000 votes were cast on a six-player short-list, with Italy full-back Matteo Minozzi taking fifth and France captain Guilhem Guirado sixth.

Stockdale, who only made his Test debut last summer, claimed try doubles in Ireland’s victories over Italy, Wales and Scotland, then added another touchdown during the Grand Slam-clinching triumph against England at Twickenham on March 17.

Stockdale joins previous Irish winners Brian O’Driscoll, who won it a record three times, Paul O’Connell, Tommy Bowe and Gordon D’Arcy.

Prior to Stockdale, the award was won for two years in succession by Scotland full-back Stuart Hogg.

Most popular

Related Sections