Andy Murray: I've been in pain walking since before Wimbledon

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Andy Murray revealed the extent of the pain he was going through due to his hip injury, in a phone interview with The Times’ Stuart Fraser along with other British journalists.

Murray, who has been sidelined with the injury since Wimbledon last July, underwent surgery on his right hip in Melbourne on Monday, and says he is “very optimistic” about the future after going under the knife.

Murray had been sceptical about having surgery but believes it was the only choice.

“I’m very optimistic because, having spoken to the surgeon after he did the surgery, he was very happy about how it went,” Murray told The Times and other British reporters.

“He felt that my hip will be feeling better than it did a year ago.”

Murray also said he will be planning his schedule more carefully and not play as many tournaments in order to preserve his body.

“At Wimbledon basically everything was hurting,” he said in the same interview.

“I had never been in pain like that before. Whereas now the thing that was stopping me from playing and the reason why I decided to have the surgery was because I was struggling basically to do extensions…

“I was nervous this morning but it was the right decision to make,” he said of his surgery.

“I was struggling. I’ve been in pain walking since before Wimbledon. It’s got better but still it’s extremely tiring mentally when every single time you are walking that you are feeling your hip, from the minute that you wake up in the day and start walking to when you lie down at night.”

Murray is hopeful he’ll be back on tour for the summer’s grass season. He will have been out of action for nearly a year.

Most popular

Related Tags

Elina Svitolina's impressive finals record stands out in this week's Seven Deadly Stats

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Clutch: Elina Svitolina.

Following an eventful first week of the 2018 tennis season, here’s a look at the standout stats from all the action.

Tournaments took place in Brisbane, Doha, Pune, Shenzhen, and Auckland along with the mixed teams exhibition Hopman Cup in Perth, in opening week.

Nick Kyrgios, Elina Svitolina, Gael Monfils, Simona Halep and Julia Goerges walked away with trophies while Roger Federer and Belinda Bencic won the Hopman Cup for Switzerland.

Check out these Seven Deadly Stats from the week gone by…

6 – Elina Svitolina is undefeated in her last six finals. The last time the 23-year-old lost a title match was in 2016 in Zhuhai. She is 10-2 win-loss in career finals.

14 – Goerges’ current match winning streak. The German’s run goes back to last season, which she ended by claiming back-to-back titles in Moscow and Zhuhai. Goerges started Moscow last October ranked No. 27 in the world. She is now up to a career-high No. 12 thanks to her three consecutive title triumphs.

17 – years since Federer had last won the Hopman Cup. The Swiss claimed his second title in the mixed teams exhibition event, having previously won it with Martina Hingis in 2001.

26 – Monfils has a 26 per cent winning record in career finals. He entered the Doha final on Saturday with a 0-3 record in Qatar Open title matches but final ended his tournament hoodoo by defeating Andrey Rublev. He owns a subpar 7-20 win-loss record in career finals.

32 – spots Gilles Simon has moved up the world rankings, thanks to his title run in Pune. He is now up to No. 57.

36 – double faults struck by Andrey Rublev in his five matches contested in Doha last week. He walked away with the runner-up trophy nonetheless.

67 – aces fired by Kyrgios in his four matches en route to the Brisbane title, averaging 16.75 aces per match.

Most popular

Related Sections

Andy Murray undergoes right hip surgery in Melbourne

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Former world No. 1 Andy Murray has announced he has undergone a “successful” right hip surgery in Melbourne.

The Scot has been sidelined with hip problems since Wimbledon last July.

Murray flew from Abu Dhabi — where he was practicing and played an exhibition set at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship — to Brisbane 10 days ago with the intention to start his 2018 season there but pulled out of the tournament. He then announced he would be missing the Australian Open before revealing he had surgery on Monday.

“Today I underwent successful right hip surgery at the St Vincent Hospital in Melbourne,” Murray said in a post on his Facebook page.

“I’d like to thank Dr John O’Donnell and all of the staff for looking after me. I look forward to returning to competitive tennis during the grass court season. Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes and support over the last few days. I’ll comeback from this.”

Murray had revealed the extent of his struggle with hip injury in an emotional Instagram post last week.

“The little kid inside me just wants to play tennis and Compete,” he said in that post on his social media. “I genuinely miss it so much and I would give anything to be back out there.

“I wanted to keep everyone in the loop and get this off my chest as it’s really hurting inside.”

Most popular

Related Tags