Lucas Pouille suffers second final loss in seven days but takes positives from Dubai week

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

He may have lost his second final in seven days but Lucas Pouille insists he walks away with lots of positives from his week in Dubai.

The Frenchman, who lost to Karen Khachanov in the Marseille title match last Sunday, was hoping to secure a spot in the top-10 for the first time in his career but fell short by just one victory as he fell to Roberto Bautista Agut in Saturday’s final at the Aviation Club.

Appearing in his third final in four weeks, Pouille played 14 matches since the start of February and looked sluggish against an overpowering Bautista Agut.

But the 24-year-old refused to blame fatigue for his defeat against the Spaniard, and gave him full credit after the match.

“I think the only thing is that Roberto was too good today. He played some great tennis this week so a big congratulations to him and his team, you guys are doing some great work and I wish you all the best for this year,” Pouille said on court during the trophy ceremony.

The Dubai resident will rise to a career-high No. 12 on Monday, and is hoping to take his good form into Indian Wells and Miami, where he has great opportunity to pick up points having lost early in both last year.

“I tried very hard until the end. He was, yeah, just better than me today. Now I need some rest, need to travel to the States. It’s a long travel, long jet-lag with 12 hours. I really need to try to be ready for Indian Wells,” said Pouille, whose record in finals now is 5-4.

Looking back at his week in the Emirates, he added: “It would have been better with a victory, so that’s why it’s not fantastic.

“No, it was a good week. Very positive things, a lot of positive things. We’ll see how it goes for the few coming weeks.

“Anyway, I’m very happy with the way I played, with the way I managed the transition between Marseille and here because it was really close. I don’t know, I didn’t really know how to deal with it. But I’m very happy with the way I did. Now I need to look forward.”

Pouille is now No. 9 in the ATP Race to London and he admits making it to the season finale – where only the year’s top-eight compete – is a main goal for him in 2018.

His list of objectives for the season is not a modest one.

“Reaching top 10, trying to be in London at the end of the season. That’s definitely one of my goals. Winning as many titles as possible, go as far as possible in the Grand Slams especially,” said Pouille, who owns five ATP titles and has reached two quarter-finals at the Slams so far.

Most popular

Roberto Bautista Agut outclasses Lucas Pouille in Dubai to claim first ATP 500 title

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Roberto Bautista Agut became the first Spaniard in 12 years to capture the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships title thanks to a straight-sets victory over Lucas Pouille in the final on Saturday.

The No. 3 seed claimed his first ATP 500 crown and an eighth title overall with a convincing 6-3, 6-4 win against Pouille, denying the Frenchman the chance to clinch a maiden berth in the world’s top-10.

The last Spanish player to win in Dubai was Rafael Nadal in 2006.

A fatigued-looking Pouille, who was one win away from entering that elite ranking bracket after reaching three finals in four weeks, was no match for the ever-solid Bautista Agut across the 81-minute encounter.

“This tournament is very special, it’s going to be in my head for the rest of my life. I’m so happy I won a 500 event. I beat Lucas, he’s a really good player, he has a great future ahead and he’s been playing unbelievable tennis this month,” said Bautista Agut on court following his victory.

Both players entered the contest seeking a second trophy of the season with Bautista Agut looking to add to his Auckland success in January and Pouille bidding for a trophy to go with his triumph in Montpellier last month.

But while Pouille had momentum on his side, having won 11 of his previous 13 matches, Bautista Agut came to Dubai carrying a three-match losing streak before turning things around in the Emirates.

“I was struggling a little bit before coming here. I had fever one week. I couldn’t come to Montpellier. I had a wildcard in Marseille. I was starting to play better. I lost in the first round. Was a tough moment for me because I was feeling good on the court. I was working well. I was doing everything right, and sometimes the results don’t come. You just have to stay there,” explained Bautista Agut, who will rise to No. 16 in the world on Monday, three positions off his career-high ranking.

Heading into the final, Pouille had fired a tournament-leading 44 aces and the Frenchman brought more of the same early on as he struck two in his opening service game.

But Bautista Agut also had a strong start, winning 8/8 points on his own serve on his way to 2-1 lead.

An error-strewn fourth game saw Pouille save three break points before double-faulting to fall behind 1-3.

It was the Spaniard’s turn to stave off a break point in game five and he did it with style, out-rallying Pouille before unleashing a down-the-line backhand winner.

Pouille avoided going down a double-break and held for 2-4 but Bautista Agut maintained his advantage and secured the opening set with a service winner to place on hand on the dhow boat trophy.

The No. 2 seed found some energy reserves in the second set and almost broke in the fourth game when a Bautista Agut shot was called out. But the Spaniard challenged the call and his ball had just clipped the line. It got Bautista Agut out of trouble for a brief moment but he sent another backhand long giving Pouille his first break of the match for 3-1.

The Dubai-resident’s lead did not last though as Bautista Agut ‘vamosed’ his way to a break-back and soon drew level at 3-all.

The 29-year-old produced a sensational backhand passing shot to get his hands on triple-break point and he converted on a netted forehand from Pouille to put himself in the position to serve for the title.

Bautista Agut got his first match point with a stellar point, sending Pouille left and right along the baseline before finding the winner. And he wrapped up the win moments later, picking up the biggest title of his career so far.

“I was a bit nervous to close the match but I’ve been working a lot this month and I think I was prepared to manage all the emotions and I did very well in the last game,” said Bautista Agut on court after the win.

Most popular

Rafael Nadal pulls out of Miami and Indian Wells due to leg injury

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Rafael Nadal is dealing with a leg injury.

World number two Rafael Nadal announced his withdrawal from this month’s ATP Masters events in Miami and Indian Wells on Friday, citing a leg injury that forced him to pull out the Mexican Open.

Nadal said in a statement on Facebook the injury, which flared in Acapulco this week, was in the same area as the hip problem that led to his exit from the Australian Open in January.

“I won’t be able to play in Miami or Indian Wells as I need to recover,” Nadal said.

“It was very painful to retire from Acapulco and it’s very hard as well to not play in the USA. I will miss you and I will do everything that’s possible to be back there in 2019.”

The 31-year-old 16-time Grand Slam winner had been left distraught on Tuesday after suddenly pulling out of Acapulco just hours before his opening match.

It marked the sixth tournament in a row that Nadal has pulled out of or retired from – Basel, Paris, the London ATP Tour Finals, Brisbane, Australian Open and Acapulco.

Nadal’s withdrawal was greeted with dismay by Indian Wells tournament director Tommy Haas.

“We are disappointed that Rafa will not be able to compete for the third title at this year’s BNP Paribas Open,” Haas said. “We wish him all the best for a speedy recovery.”

Nadal, who turns 32 in June, ended 2017 as the oldest year-end world number one in the 45-year history of the ATP rankings.

However, he lost the top ranking to old rival Roger Federer last month.

Most popular

Related Sections