Andy Murray pulls out of Cincinnati citing ongoing injury

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Still struggling: Andy Murray.

Andy Murray has pulled out of this month’s Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati citing an ongoing hip injury.

The British world No1 has been suffering from a hip problem since before Wimbledon and was forced to skip the ongoing Montreal Masters.

“Unfortunately I won’t be playing in Cincinnati as I continue my recovery,” said Murray, a two-time champion at the event. “I always enjoy playing there and I look forward to returning next year. I’m continuing to work hard on the court with the aim of being in New York (for the US Open).”

With the US Open starting in less than four weeks, Murray will be looking to get back to full fitness in time for the final Grand Slam of the season.

Murray might lose his No. 1 ranking to Rafael Nadal should the Spaniard reach the semi-finals in Montreal this week.

Nadal will be the top seed in Cincinnati and will have another chance to reclaim the No. 1 ranking if he fails to take it in Canada.

Federer will be the No. 2 seed, marking the 10th time that he has been one of the top two seeds at the tournament. A seven-time Cincinnati champion, Federer carries a 10-match winning streak into this event, having won the title in each of his last two appearances (2014-15).

This will be the first time Nadal and Federer are the top two seeds at the Western & Southern Open since 2009.

Play begins at the Western & Southern Open on Saturday, Aug 12 with qualifying matches.

Most popular

Related Tags

Roger Federer says Rafael Nadal getting back to world No1 would be 'massive'

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Best of frenemies: Federer and Nadal.

Roger Federer believes Rafael Nadal would “absolutely deserve” to be world No1 again as the Spaniard stands just three wins away from returning to the top of the rankings.

Nadal would usurp Andy Murray as the new world No1 if he reaches the semi-finals in Montreal this week.

The 31-year-old has not occupied the top spot since July 2014 and after struggling with injury end of last year, he has stormed back to his best form this season, winning a 10th French Open in June, along with three more titles in the last seven months.

“It would be absolutely massive,” Federer told TennisTV of the prospect of Nadal reclaiming the No1 ranking.

“I remember when he was injured at the end of last year and here he is a few matches away from clinching world No1.

“In a way it seems very far, yet it’s very near, so he’s just got to stay focused. I hope for his sake he’s going to make it. If not, I’m happy for Andy to get another week at world No1 because the run that he showed as well last year was tremendous.

“I have unbelievable respect for Andy, that he was able to do it and get to world No1 and finish the year at world No1, that was nice to see. Now there’s probably going to be a changing of the guard at world No1 level, in the near future and I hope for Rafa he can get there again, he would absolutely deserve it after his 10th French Open win in the summer.”

Nadal opens his Montreal campaign on Wednesday against Croatian Borna Coric, who owns two victories in three meetings with the Mallorcan, while Federer faces home favourite Peter Polansky.

A battle for year-end No1 looks likely to transpire between Nadal and Federer over the next few months but the former insists it is not his main focus.

“I never thought about that and I’m still not thinking about it,” said Nadal of the top spot.

“I go day by day and I try my best in every match and then we’ll see what’s going to happen. But it’s something I’m not thinking much about. If it happens, for sure (it’s) welcome.

“It’s obvious that after all the things that happened to me with injuries, going back that spot will be special.”

Murray, who is missing Montreal with a hip injury, has struggled in 2017, claiming just one title, in Dubai, and accumulating a 25-10 win-loss record.

He said after his Wimbledon quarter-final exit to Sam Querrey that he “doesn’t deserve” to keep his top spot much longer.

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

Rogers Cup: Jack Sock's style or Gael Monfils' hustle? Who impressed more with his Montreal hot shot?

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

American world No. 17 Jack Sock turned up the style at the ATP Masters 1000 in Montreal on Tuesday during his 7-6 (4), 6-3 opening round win over Pierre-Hugues Herbert.

While rushing the net against his French opponent, Sock dazzled with a behind-the-back volley before putting away a high volley backhand.

The day before, Gael Monfils wrapped up his 2-6, 7-6 (1), 6-1 win over Steve Johnson by running down a drop shot then flicking the ball over with his back to the net. It’s a move only Monfils would pull off, and while it may not have been as stylish as Sock’s approach, it was a stunner nonetheless.

Which hot shot impressed you more? Sound off in the comment section below or on our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Most popular

Related Sections