UAE tennis star Hamad Janahi gets two-year doping suspension

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Hamad Janahi failed a doping test at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

UAE’s No1 tennis player Omar Behroozian says he was “shocked” to hear about the two-year doping suspension handed to his Davis Cup team-mate and frequent doubles partner Hamad Janahi.

– #Quiz360: Wednesday – WIN Vivitar Action Camera
– Related: Behroozian calls on young UAE tennis players
– VIDEO: Federer, Sharapova & Stosur through

The International Tennis Federation (ITF) on Wednesday announced that the 24-year-old Janahi failed a doping test at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships last February.

Janahi, who lost 6-0, 6-0 to James Ward in the opening round of qualifying at the Dubai event, provided a urine sample on February 21 2015 and tested positive for a metabolite of methylphenidate and 1,3-dimethylbutylamine, which are Prohibited Substances under section S6(b) (Stimulants) of the 2015 WADA List of Prohibited Substances and Prohibited Methods, and are therefore also prohibited under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme.

The Emirati’s sample was sent to a WADA-accredited testing facility in Montreal and the violation was confirmed there.

“Hamad Abbas Janahi has been found to have committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under Article 2.1 of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme (presence of a Prohibited Substance in a Player’s Sample),” read the statement released by the ITF.

“Mr Janahi’s commission of an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under Article 2.1 of the programme was confirmed, and it was determined that he is suspended from participation for a period of two years, commencing on 27 May 2015, and so ending at midnight on 26 May 2017.”

Janahi, who has been studying in Dublin recently, missed the UAE’s Davis Cup action earlier this month in Bahrain citing exams as the reason behind his absence.

Behroozian, 33, was unaware of Janahi’s suspension when contacted and says it was both a surprise and a big disappointment.

“First of all Hamad has been my team-mate for so long so naturally I’m very disappointed to hear this and I’m shocked,” Behroozian told Sport360.

“We all did the doping test at the Dubai Open but obviously I thought that nothing would come out of it. What I’m sure about – I haven’t spoken to Hamad and I don’t know the details – but what I’m sure about is that it was more that he was negligent, it wasn’t that he took anything in order to improve his performance.

“Having said that, it’s a responsibility for us as players that we have to know every substance that is banned. It’s written in the rulebook of the ITF, that even if we do take a prescription from a doctor, something that isn’t allowed, we have to inform the ITF and then they have to inform us if we’re okay taking it or not. Obviously if it’s true what happened, then Hamad has to handle the consequences. It’s obviously disappointing for all of us because he’s one of our best players. But like I said, the anti-doping they’re really strict now and us players we should no better. We have to be more careful in the future.”

Janahi was unavailable for comment when contacted while Tennis Emirates, the governing body of the sport in the UAE, released a statement through their secretary general Sara Baker that said: “We aren’t able to give any say on the matter of Hamad’s two-year suspension since haven’t yet received the full information directly from the ITF. “We will contact the ITF as soon as possible to get more details on the matter”

Ukrainian player Kateryna Kozlova also tested positive for a sample she provided at the Dubai tournament. The world 102 was handed a reduced six-month suspension due to the fact that she provided proof that the banned substance entered her system through her ingestion of a supplement provided to her by a doctor. 

Most popular

Related Sections

Federer, Sharapova & Stosur through at French Open

andrewbinner 27/05/2015
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Roger Federer, Maria Sharapova and Samantha Stosur all progress in French Open.









Most popular

Bouchard at "low point" after Paris first round exit

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Tough times: Bouchard suffered her career’s first grand slam opening round exit.

World No6 Eugenie Bouchard admits she is at a “low point” in her career and has not been able to feel like herself on the court following a shock first round defeat to Kristina Mladenovic at Roland Garros yesterday.

– #Quiz360: WIN Vivitar Action Camera worth AED 700
– Reem’s French Open diary – Caroline Wozniacki shines bright
– INTERVIEW: Marin Cilic – Winding road back to grand slam glory

A semi-finalist in Paris last year, Bouchard’s slump continued as she fell to the Frenchwoman 6-4, 6-4 to suffer a first grand slam opening round loss of her career.

Bouchard, who exploded onto the tennis scene last season making the semi-finals at the Australian Open and French Open and finishing as runner-up at Wimbledon, has been having a rough 2015.

The 21-year-old Canadian was recently named the most marketable athlete in the world according to SportsPro but her on-court results don’t match her commercial prospects.

She has won just three matches since making the Australian Open quarter-finals and despite a brief fight-back yesterday, as she climbed from 0-5 to 4-5 in the second set, Bouchard remains clueless as to how she can fix her game.

“Honestly, I don’t know what to say. It’s been kind of the same as to how I have been feeling recently on the court – not my usual self,” a dejected Bouchard said.

“I definitely felt a bit better in Rome. I think that just makes it more disappointing to have a performance like today. So I just feel like it’s been a while that this has been happening. But I’m sure one day it will stop.”

Bouchard explained how her training, with Sam Sumyk – Victoria Azarenka’s previous coach – has been going well but she has struggled to get things going on match day.

“I feel like I have been trying to work on what’s been going wrong, and I feel like I have been making progress. So to still have matches like this is disappointing,” she confessed. 

“But at the same time it’s just a tennis match and I need to not worry too much. Life is still good. Everyone has highs and lows in their career. This is a little bit of a low point for me.

“I think it’s important to try to move on quickly in tennis because, you know, every Monday there is a new chance. So I’m going to try and forget this one,” she added.

While the grass season may help her turn things around, considering she had the best result of her career at Wimbledon last season, Bouchard is not expecting miracles.

“At this point I have no expectations. Just going to take it one day at a time.”

Most popular