Rafael Nadal believes French Open masterclass will serve him well at Wimbledon

David Cooper 23/06/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Rafael Nadal is undergoing low-key preparations for Wimbledon but the Spaniard insists the rest will do him a world of good as he rides the crest of a wave from his 11th Roland Garros success.

The 32-year-old has been training in his native island of Mallorca and will only make his way to London on Monday, where he will bid to win the title at SW19 for a third time.

“I had a very intense campaign on clay and my body needed rest because drastic changes are not good,” Nadal said in an interview published in El Espanol on Saturday.

“I had to spend time adapting physically and in my tennis to the surface. I will certainly arrive at Wimbledon with less preparation, but…I’m going with confidence high because I played very well through the whole clay-court season.

“From next week I’m going to step it up, train hard and play a couple of exhibition matches.”

Most popular

Related Tags

Andy Murray still aiming to be fit for grass-court season

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Andy Murray still has hopes of being fit for the grass-court season after stepping up his rehabilitation, according to his mother Judy.

The Scot has been out of action since last July with a hip injury that eventually required surgery in January.

His target for a return was always the British summer but reports several weeks ago suggested that was in doubt.

However, Judy Murray says that her son is now back on the practice courts, though has warned he will not rush back.

She told BBC Sport: “He’s doing the rehabilitation. He’s been back on the court in the last couple of days.

“His goal was always to try and be ready for the grass-court season and that is still his goal, so fingers crossed.

Andy Murray 1

“He will be guided by his body and how he feels. He is the only person who knows how he feels.

“The most important thing is he gets fit again for the long term and any top athlete would tell you they would not come back until they felt they could give 100 per cent, especially in a major like Wimbledon.”

Murray announced his planned return to the ATP Tour would be in the Libema Open in Holland, starting next Monday.

The 31-year-old is still on the entry list on the tournament’s official website, but can pull out at any time before the event begins.

Most popular

Related Sections

Andy Murray set to make comeback from hip surgery in June

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
It's been a long wait to get back on court for Andy Murray.

Andy Murray is set to make his long-awaited comeback from hip surgery at next month’s Libema Open grass-court event in the Netherlands.

The two-time Wimbledon champion, who has not played a competitive match since exiting SW19 at the quarter-final stage to America’s Sam Querrey last year, will feature at the event, which begins on June 11, according to tournament director Marcel Hunze.

Murray, who turned 31 last week, was scheduled to make his comeback at the start of 2018 but suffered a setback over his lingering hip issue and was forced to undergo the knife in Melbourne back in January.

In March, the former World No1 posted several pictures of him training at the Mouratoglou Tennis Academy on the French Riviera and looked to be on his way back to full fitness as he decided to skip the clay-court season completely.

However, rumours started to circulate recently that the Scot had suffered yet another setback as he was not seen practicing at his regular Wimbledon training base upon his return to the UK.

There were also reports he may turn out in a Challenger Tour event at Loughborough, though he did not apply for a wildcard.

But now it seems Murray is back on track and will compete in June.

Libema Open chief Hunze told BBC Scotland: “After consulting his team, we don’t have any reason to doubt his participation.”

“Andy is on the entry list. We are looking forward to welcoming Andy here for his comeback on the ATP tour.”

Murray is currently ranked No45 in the world and now the British No2, with Kyle Edmund up to 17 in the world standings.

Should the one-time US Open champion come through next month’s tune-up on grass, he is scheduled to play at Queen’s as normal between June 18 and 24.

Wimbledon gets under way on July 2.

Meanwhile, on Monday, Murray publically backed a new tennis app designed to make it easier and more affordable for people to take up the game.

The app, called Deuce and due to launch just before Wimbledon, aims to match players of all ages and abilities with sessions or courts at clubs or parks close to where they live.

Murray has always been a staunch advocate of finding new and creative ways to inspire future generations of British children to get involved in the sport.

Most popular