Manchester United players and staff suit up for United for Unicef charity gala dinner

Manchester United players and staff suited up for the club's annual United for Unicef gala dinner on Wednesday night.

The black-tie event is one of the highlights of the year for the club off the pitch. This year marked the 18th annual running of the dinner.

"I have always been very supportive of Unicef, and my team and I are proud to once again be a part of this amazing event to support vulnerable children in Thailand," said United manager Jose Mourinho. "We have raised a fantastic amount of money tonight, which will help to support children with limited or no access to schooling, something that every child should, without question, have a right to."

Along with its charitable purpose, the dinner is the perfect opportunity for United players and their partners to look their dapper best, and Paul Pogba, Romelu Lukaku and company certainly came through on that front.

The event was hosted by television presenter and lifelong United fan Rachel Riley and BBC Sport's Mark Chapman, with British grime superstar Stormzy, another lifelong United fan, providing the main entertainment for the night. Game of Thrones star John Bradley West, also in the famous United fan contingent, was in attendance as well.

United for Unicef is the longest partnership of its kind, between a football club and a global organisation, and the yearly gala has now raised over £4million, with £160,000 being raised on Wednesday, all of which will go towards education programmes in Thailand.

Check out photos from the event in our gallery above.

*Quotes taken from Manchester United's official website.

Most popular

Related Tags

Manchester United announce record revenue of £581 million

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Manchester United announced record first-quarter revenue of £141million on Thursday, but player wages have risen as a result of their Champions League return.

In January, United moved back to the top of the Deloitte Football Money League for the first time since 2005.

The Red Devils became the first British club to break the half-a-billion pound revenue mark in 2016, a position which was improved on with overall revenue rising from £515.3m to £581.2m for the year ending June 30, 2017.

The latest set of accounts published on Thursday, which cover the first quarter of 2018 ending September 30, 2017, show a 17 per cent increase in total revenue from £120.2m over the same period last year.

Commercial revenue for the quarter was £80.5m, an increase of £6.2m, which was boosted by five tour matches across the United States, including fixtures against the Los Angeles Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Real Madrid and Barcelona as well as domestic rivals Manchester City.

United also spent around £145m ahead of the new campaign, bringing in the likes of striker Romelu Lukaku from Everton, midfielder Nemanja Matic from Chelsea and defender Victor Lindelof from Benfica.

There was also a 30 per cent increase in broadcasting revenue compared to the same quarter last year, helped by a return to the Champions League for Jose Mourinho‘s side following their Europa League triumph last season.

However, total operating expenses for the quarter were reported at £143.1m, which is up from £20.9m over the same period in 2017.

These figures include an increase of £7.6m, some 12.2 per cent, in “employee benefit expenses”, which the club said is “primarily due to player salary uplifts due to participation in the UEFA Champions League”.

Net income for the period was listed at £7.9m.

Net debt was listed as £268.1m at September 30, 2017, a decrease of £69.6m over the year, while United’s parent holding company also reported fiscal revenue for 2018 was expected to be £575m to £585m.

United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward said: “We are just over a quarter of the way through what promises to be another exciting season.

“In the Champions League we have won all four games played to-date; we are through to the quarter-final of the Carabao Cup; and are looking forward to the next few months as the number of matches ramps up.”

Most popular

Related Tags

Sam Allardyce rules himself out of the running for Everton job

Carl Markham 15/11/2017
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Sam Allardyce

Sam Allardyce has ruled himself out of the running to be the next Everton manager after being put off by the club’s indecision.

The former Crystal Palace manager was linked with filling the vacancy left by departure of Ronald Koeman, who was sacked three and a half weeks ago.

However, after putting under-23 coach David Unsworth in temporary charge Everton are understood to have made an approach for Watford’s Marco Silva this week with Allardyce seemingly dropping down the pecking order.

The former England boss said the lack of movement from the Toffees convinced him it was best to withdraw from consideration.

“It never materialised as I thought it would, unfortunately,” Allardyce told talkSPORT.

“For me such a long time without a decision (meant) I had to make a decision myself.

“The decision was it was probably better it wasn’t me, and I’d move on to something else. It would have been a fabulous job, but it just didn’t feel right.

“I think when you’re sat in my position you want people to be decisive and feel like they want you. I didn’t get that feeling overall. They were hesitating that I was the man.”

Former Everton defender Richard Dunne was also taken aback by the lack of progress in finding a new manager.

“They have had enough time to sort it out and it is a surprise coming back into the Premier League (after the international break) and them still having no manager,” Dunne told the radio station.

“If they want Silva from Watford, they should pay whatever is needed to be paid and get it done.

“The performances have not been good enough this season and they need to turn it around quickly.”

While Silva has emerged as the leading target, Dunne believes his former club should be setting their sights much higher after two of Europe’s bigger names were linked with the job.

“They want to progress and play Champions League football so if (Carlo) Ancelotti or (Diego) Simeone were available they should certainly set their aims at that level,” he added.

Provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular

Related Sections