Prolific Liverpool scorer Mohamed Salah was named African Player of the Year in Ghanaian capital Accra on Thursday, the first Egyptian to win the award since Mahmoud al Khatib in 1983.
The 25-year-old has scored 23 goals in 29 matches in all competitions this season for the Premier League outfit after moving from AS Roma in the summer.
He also starred for resurgent Egypt, who last year finished runners-up to Cameroon in the Africa Cup of Nations and secured a first World Cup appearance since 1990.
In the penultimate round of World Cup qualifying, Salah scored the brace that edged Congo Brazzaville in Alexandria, including the stoppage-time winner from a penalty that sealed a trip to Russia.
Salah’s Liverpool teammate Sadio Mane, of Senegal, was runner-up and 2015 winner, Gabon and Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang third after a 30-player list had been trimmed to three.
National coaches, Confederation of African football (CAF) officials, journalists and the public were involved in the voting.
“Winning this award is a dream come true – 2017 was an unbelievable year for me I had a fantastic time with the national team,” said Salah after receiving the trophy.
“This is a big award for me, a special moment in my career. I would like to dedicate it to all the kids in Africa and Egypt.
“I want to tell them to never stop dreaming, never stop believing.”
The Egyptian succeeds Algerian Riyad Mahrez of Leicester City as holder of the most prized CAF individual award.
It is the first time since 1986 that stars from the north of the continent, which along with the west is the strongest football region, have won successive titles.
Victory on Thursday completed an awards hat-trick for Salah, who was named BBC African footballer of the Year in December and Arab Player of the Year earlier this week.
Mane was voted 2016-2017 Liverpool Player of the Season, but the 25-year-old has since been overshadowed at Anfield by Salah’s scoring exploits.
He did stand out for Senegal, however, as they secured a first World Cup appearance since 2002, providing much of the creativity in a team stacked with physically formidable footballers.
Aubameyang was Bundesliga top scorer with 31 goals last season, holding off Bayern Munich and Poland ace Robert Lewandowski.
He flopped with Gabon, though, failing to take the 2017 Cup of Nations hosts past the first round and shunning several World Cup call-ups as Gabon failed to qualify.
Manchester City are reportedly interested in triggering Barcelona defender Samuel Umtiti’s €60million release clause.
According to respected French outlet L’Equipe, Umtiti’s representatives have met with City and the France international is now said to be mulling over a switch having been impressed by the project headed by manager Pep Guardiola.
The centre-back has been a tower of strength for the Catalan giants this season with Ernesto Valverde’s pragmatic approach reliant on the ever-dependable presence of Umtiti.
He emerged as one of the best defenders in La Liga before going down with a hamstring injury against Celta Vigo early last month.
The relatively low fee, considering the astronomical £75million expenditure from Liverpool for Southampton defender Virgil Van Dijk, will no doubt sound the alarm of clubs throughout Europe.
Umtiti marries physical prowess with passing ability – he has the highest pass accuracy in La Liga this season, which is pretty impressive considering how much he actually gets on the ball – and Barca will no doubt be desperate to keep on to their star man.
The 24-year-old joined the Blaugrana from Lyon in 2016 for £21million and has proven to be a bargain ever since.
Guardiola wants to reinforce his quadruple-chasing City squad with Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez also being targeted.
With Barcelona enforcer Javier Mascherano on his way out, the La Liga leaders are “one step away” from signing Colombian international Yerry Mina from Palmeiras, according to the Spanish press.
Barcelona are also sweating over the fate of their young French centre-back Samuel Umtiti, widely reported to be in talks with Manchester City.
Should Mascherano, on the verge of a switch to China’s Hebei Fortune for €10million, and Umtiti leave, Barcelona would be left with just Gerard Pique and Thomas Vermaelen as recognised centre-backs.
“Yerry Mina is just a step away from becoming a Barcelona player,” Mundo Deportivo reported on Friday.
“Barca say it’s a done deal,” Spanish radio Onda Cero reported.
Former Colombian international winger Faustino Asprilla, who also played at Palmeiras wrote on Twitter “Benvingut (welcome) Yerry Mina to @fcbarcelona.”
Mina is an athletic 6ft 5in (1.95m), 23-years-old and has been with Sao Paulo outfit Palmeiras since May 2016.
Provided by AFP Sport