We’re over half way through the season and it’s all been about Manchester so far, but not United.
Well off the top of the table and having lost to Manchester City at Old Trafford, some would have written off Jose Mourinho’s side already.
But United are having a promising season - and are well on track to score more points and finish higher in the Premier League than last season.
The only problem is Pep Guardiola and Manchester City have changed the game and are currently 15 points ahead of the chasing pack.
Sitting second, United's goal to win the league might be over but they have a chance to go on a positive run in the Champions League.
Liverpool have pledged to fully co-operate with any investigation arising out of an incident between forward Roberto Firmino and Everton’s Mason Holgate during the Reds’ 2-1 FA Cup win at Anfield.
The pair were involved in an angry exchange after the Toffees defender pushed the Brazilian into the front row of the Main Stand and words were exchanged which left the Everton player incensed.
Referee Bobby Madley is expected to refer to the flashpoint in his match report to the football Association and Liverpool have said they will assist in any way they can should further investigation be required.
“The club and player will fully co-operate with the relevant authorities to ensure the facts are established in a thorough manner if deemed necessary or requested,” said a Liverpool spokesman.
“While that process is ongoing we will not be making any further comment.”
Everton manager Sam Allardyce was asked in his post-match press conference whether the incident was sparked by an alleged racist comment and said: “I’m telling you nothing until whatever systems are used to find out exactly what happened and what didn’t happen.
“I’m here to talk about football, not about controversial incidents. I only want to talk about football.
“Anything else outside of that that happens has to be dealt with by the authorities.”
Asked whether he has spoken to Holgate, Allardyce added: “I wouldn’t tell anybody in this press conference because it is not about that for me.
“That is in the other areas of the football club so I’ve left that with the director of football (Steve Walsh) and said, ‘sort that out’.”
Walsh was seen in discussion with Everton’s media team in the Anfield tunnel after Allardyce’s press conference but the club have yet to make a comment, although Press Association Sport understands Everton did raise the incident with the match officials.
It is understood Firmino was not asked for his view on the incident immediately after the match but is prepared to give a statement to the FA should a request be made.
His manager Jurgen Klopp refused to be drawn on the issue.
“I only heard about something but I can’t say anything about it because so far I couldn’t speak to anybody and I think, from now on, first of all the club will answer,” he said.
“I don’t really know anything about it.
“I misjudged the situation obviously completely, because I thought it was about a Holgate foul.
“In the end there was no foul, no yellow card, nothing. I didn’t get it to be honest – there was a throw-in, was it?
“I didn’t understand the whole situation after the game. I got information that something obviously happened, but I can’t say anything about it.”
Soon after the final whistle Holgate deleted his Twitter account.
Liverpool triumphed in the 230th Merseyside Derby meeting on Friday night with a deserved 2-1 victory over city rivals Everton at Anfield.
Here, we look at three things we learned from the FA Cup third round tie:
SELECTION PROOF JURGEN KLOPP TAKING FA CUP SERIOUSLY
The German selected the strongest possible XI he had available to him – seemingly learning quickly that a Merseyside Derby is not a game to take lightly or indeed experiment in following the 1-1 Premier League draw last month.
While Sadio Mane, after his trip the night before to Ghana, didn’t appear as fresh as he could have been – Klopp couldn’t be faulted for the personnel he opted for and the FA Cup is no doubt an important priority for the Reds this season.
After all, Klopp needs to win his first trophy.
EVERTON BADLY NEED A FOCAL POINT IN ATTACK
The arrival of Turkish striker Cenk Tosun for a fee of £27m – announced during half-time of the Derby – is welcome news even if the Besiktas star is very much an unproven quantity in the Premier League.
Nevertheless, Evertonians have to put faith in the fact boss Sam Allardyce and Director of Football Steve Walsh have made the right call on the 26-year-old.
Despite his goal, Gylfi Sigurdsson is not a striker and Dominic Calvert-Lewin, while being a big star for the future, is still learning on the job.
A focal point in attack can’t come soon enough for Everton.
👀 | It’s done… 🇹🇷 pic.twitter.com/nhT7T2ehVR
— Everton (@Everton) January 5, 2018
VIRGIL VAN DIJK SIGNING MORE THAN VALUE FOR MONEY
The former Southampton ace couldn’t have started his Anfield career in better fashion, scoring the winner at the Kop end against the Blues.
Van Dijk’s capture is a fine statement of intent from Liverpool, showing that they are ready to spend big and continue to build.
At £75m, the Dutchman will stabilize the club’s leaky backline and prove to the likes of Philippe Coutinho and Mohamed Salah that there are plenty of reasons to stay at Liverpool for a while yet.