VIDEO: Djokovic crashes out of Acapulco quarters to Kyrgios

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Memorable first date: Between Djokovic and Kyrgios.

Novak Djokovic could only muster a total of 12 words after his straight-sets defeat to Nick Kyrgios in Acapulco late on Thursday that saw the world No2 crash out at the quarter-finals stage.

Djokovic, who typically plays in Dubai during this week on tour, made a last-minute decision to join the field in Mexico, in an effort to get his season back on track following a shock second-round exit to world No117 Denis Istomin at the Australian Open last month.

Speculation indicated he may have avoided Dubai to rebuild his confidence away from Andy Murray and Roger Federer, who headlined the action here in the Emirates.

But Djokovic was instead handed a tough draw in Acapulco, where he battled past Martin Klizan and Juan Martin del Potro in the opening two rounds before falling to Kyrgios 7-6 (9), 7-5 in what was their first career meeting against each other.


His Dubai draw would have been tamer than that but there’s no point in looking back at what could have been at this point.








Whether Djokovic went to Mexico for a change of scenery, or to avoid his biggest rivals, or any other reason, he certainly leaves there with more question marks about his form than he would have liked.


A very curt Djokovic spoke to the media after his defeat, that saw him suffer just one service break but it came at the worst time, while serving to stay in the match at 5-6 in the second set. Kyrgios broke the top seed at love to secure his 11th career top-10 victory.




Asked how he was feeling after the contest, Djokovic simply said: “Not great.”


Another reporter asked him if got annoyed by Kyrgios at certain points during the match, the Serb replied: “He has a big serve, he deserved to win. Congrats.”


And that was the end of it.


It’s difficult to judge Djokovic’s form based on that defeat to Kyrgios, whose rocket of a serve made him almost unplayable at times during the match, even against one of the best returners in the game.


Kyrgios admits his serve was the key to the victory.


“I think my serve is something I can always rely on,” said the 21-year-old Aussie, who fired 25 aces against Djokovic on Thursday night.


“I think I had a great serving day today. I know against these top guys you need to be able to hold your serve to give yourself your best chance. And I thought today I just competed well, competed for every point, I tried to put as much pressure as I could on his serve, even if I was unsuccessful sometimes, just getting a point here or there.


“I got pretty lucky at the end for the break but I think that was just the pressure of me holding pretty easily and I’m just really happy about getting through.”


Kyrgios is only the second man – alongside fellow Aussie Lleyton Hewitt – to beat Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer in his first meeting against each one of them.



He owns a solid 11-17 win-loss record against top-10 opposition. While his commitment to the sport often comes into question and he served a three-week suspension end of last year for tanking a match against Mischa Zverev in Shanghai, Kyrgios rarely fails to turn up against the big guns on the big stage.


“I guess it’s what you dream of as a little kid, playing on these great venues against some of the greatest players in the world. I never really have a problem of getting up for a match like this, it’s more the small tournaments and the smaller matches. I just have to get better every day of finding motivation to come out here and play hard,” concedes the world No17.


Kyrgios was pleased with his focus throughout the one-hour, 47-minute showdown that was played in front of a buoyant crowd that was rallying behind Djokovic.


“I knew the crowd was going to be going for him, he’s a great guy, he’s done a lot of the game, and he’s a great player,” he Kyrgios.


“Of course the crowd is going to go for him, I’m the underdog, and obviously I’m a bit controversial so not many people will like me. That’s fine. I’m not going to change the way I play or who I am. I knew I had a chance to win tonight.”


He faces American Sam Querrey in the semi-finals on Friday while Rafael Nadal and Marin Cilic face-off in the other last-four fixture.






Most popular

Related Sections

Dubai Duty Free Tennis: Defending champ Wawrinka crashes out

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Sent packing: Stan Wawrinka

Stan Wawrinka conceded that he was “not good enough” and a bit “slow” in his Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships first round defeat to Damir Dzumhur on Tuesday that saw the Swiss’ title defence come to a crashing halt at the opening hurdle.

The second-seeded Wawrinka is the first Dubai defending champion to stumble out of the first round since Roger Federer lost his opener to Andy Murray in 2008.

The world No3 had been out of action for a month nursing a right knee problem he picked up during the Australian Open, which forced him to withdraw from Rotterdam two weeks ago.

In his first match back, Wawrinka was stunned 7-6 (4), 6-3 by the 77th-ranked Dzumhur, who claimed the third top-10 victory of his career to book a second round against Spaniard Marcel Granollers.

“He was playing good today,” said Wawrinka of the 24-year-old Bosnian.

“(I was) Not good enough. I think I started well, but it was a tough match a little bit between missing something to push a little bit more to be a little bit more active. I think after coming back one month out, I had to recover from the injury.

“In practice it start to be okay the last few days, but today I was missing a little bit something.”

Wawrinka was up 3-0 in the first set before he allowed Dzumhur back into the contest and never recovered.

“Physically I was a little bit slow sometimes, so I couldn’t hit that hard from the baseline to push him back. I think I was a little bit too early in defence,” added Wawrinka.

Dzumhur was making his Dubai debut and playing just his third main draw at an ATP 500 event.

His best tour result so far has been reaching the fourth round at the ATP Masters 1000 in Miami last year.

Giant-killer: Damir Dzumhur.

Giant-killer: Damir Dzumhur.

“Three games in, like, six, seven minutes. He was playing outstanding there,” Dzumhur said of Wawrinka’s strong start.

“Was just hitting every ball. I couldn’t even touch the ball. I didn’t have a chance to do something.

“So I knew that it’s not too much about my game. It’s about his day. If he’s going to play like that, he’s gonna win, I cannot do anything.

“But I was hoping that he’s gonna go down with his level of game, and that’s what happened. I was, after winning the first game, I started to fight, to grind, and I found some way to play, to stay in the game. Playing longer points was giving me more chances.”

Wawrinka is unsure about his next step but admits he has a lot of work to do ahead of the ATP Masters 1000 double-header in the United States of Indian Wells and Miami.

“I need to focus on myself. I need to practice more, to get in better level, to expect to do some good results,” said Wawrinka.

“I’m quite unhappy to lose first round. It’s tough, because I played well last year here. I was happy to be back. I was happy to be back on the ATP Tour after a month.

“I was excited and I wanted to do better this week. But the result is not there, but I think in general it’s positive for my tennis.”

Most popular

Kristina Mladenovic: My Fed Cup comments were not about Caroline Garcia

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

French world No31 Kristina Mladenovic, who upset No2 seed Karolina Pliskova in the Dubai second round on Tuesday, clarified the comments she made post-Fed Cup earlier this month, which she says were misinterpreted as directed towards her friend and doubles partner Caroline Garcia.

Mladenovic had reportedly slammed a team-mate’s lack of commitment to Fed Cup, and French media claimed that these comments were aimed at Garcia, who did not take part in France’s 1-4 defeat to Switzerland in Geneva from February 11-12.

In Dubai, however, Mladenovic is playing Garcia in the doubles draw, and the recently-crowned St. Petersburg champion elaborated on her remarks, saying they were about Oceane Dodin, not her doubles partner.

“Just to clarify that thing, I never mentioned her name, and it was not about her. I just answered the question that it was about the missing players in the team, and I was not mentioning Caroline Garcia,” said Mladenovic.


“I was comparing – I was just simply comparing Amandine Hesse with Oceane Dodin, who is also an upcoming talented young player, and she never played for Fed Cup. She had one tie with us and never gave her all, and, you know, build something in the team.










“And I was comparing with Amandine that was literally like crying, being in the team. She came with us, being a hitting partner, which I thought was horrible for her. And then she earned her spot being the main fourth player and then ended with playing official match. I could see how pride she has, because for us, in France, it’s something big to big patriotic and play for the country.


“So I was definitely not using that strong words towards my partner, because, you know, it’s a choice of hers not to play this year. I regret it. I cannot say I agree with that, but in the past, from the beginning, from the beginning of her career, she always played full…”




Most popular

Related Sections