Roger Federer is set to kick off his grass-court season at the Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart this week following a two-month period of rest.
The legendary Swiss, who won the Australian Open in January followed by the prestigious 'Sunshine Double' in Indian Wells and Miami, has committed to a full schedule for the rest of the year as he fine tunes his preparations ahead of Wimbledon next month.
Speaking to ATPWorldTour.com before his opening match against the winner of Frenchman Pierre-Hugues Herbert and close friend Tommy Haas, Federer said: “There are no more breaks now. I’ve had enough breaks. I'm a practice world champion now and that's not who I want to be. I want to be a champ on the match courts. So I'm going to be playing a regular schedule for the second part of the season.”
While his focus is very much on match play on his beloved grass, Federer has reserved special praise for Rafa Nadal after the Spaniard claimed his 10th French Open title in Paris last weekend - leaving him just three slams behind Federer's record 18 in the all-time standings.
“I think Rafa winning the French Open is less of a surprise because he'd done it nine times before... I was hoping he was going to dominate the clay-court season like the olden days.”
Roger Federer announced on Monday he will skip Roland Garros to better prepare for the grass-court and hard court seasons.
After a stellar start to 2017 in which he won the Australian Open, Indian Wells and Miami Open, the 35-year-old feels he needs to manage his playing schedule and recovery time.
The 18-time Grand Slam winner won the French Open back in 2009 and also pulled out of the event through injury last year.
In a statement on rogerfederer.com on Monday evening, he said: “Regrettably, I’ve decided not to participate in the French Open. I’ve been working really hard, both on and off the court, during the last month but in order to try and play on the ATP World Tour for many years to come, I feel it’s best to skip the clay court season this year and prepare for the grass and hard court seasons.
“The start to the year has been magical for me but I need to recognize that scheduling will be the key to my longevity moving forward. Thus, my team and I concluded today that playing just one event on clay was not in the best interest of my tennis and physical preparation for the remainder of the season. I will miss the French fans, who have always been so supportive and I look forward to seeing them at Roland Garros next year.”