Lucas Pouille says ITF's proposed changes are 'death sentence' to Davis Cup

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Lucas Pouille has described the proposed changes announced by the ITF as a “death sentence” to the Davis Cup, the Frenchman told reporters in Dubai on Tuesday following his opening round win over Ernests Gulbis.

Pouille, who clinched the decisive rubber for France in the Davis Cup final against Belgium at Villeneuve-d’Ascq last November, says the elimination of the home-and-away ties will completely transform the competition into a different concept and that it shouldn’t be considered the same event anymore.

“I think it’s a death sentence of the Davis Cup. They just picked the idea of the ATP of making the World Team Cup again, because it’s exactly the same. It’s during one week, a lot of teams, some money. That’s why they want to do it,” said Pouille.

“But obviously they cannot call it a Davis Cup any more. When you’re not playing at home, or in the country against who you’re playing, then it’s not a Davis Cup. I mean, everybody who lived already a Davis Cup tie know that it’s going to be different, it’s not going to be the same atmosphere any more.


“I think it’s a very bad idea for the Davis Cup.”








A statement on the Davis Cup website was released on Monday announcing “a 25-year, $3 billion partnership with investment group Kosmos that will transform Davis Cup by BNP Paribas and generate substantial revenues for global tennis development”.


The plan to overhaul the Davis Cup will see the home-and-away ties taking place throughout the year disappear and instead, a one-week competition at the end of November will take place in one location featuring 18 nations. The proposal will be voted on in this August’s ITF Annual General Meeting in Orlando, Florida.


Davis Cup has suffered in recent years due to the absence of star players, who have been complaining about its structure.


Pouille, ranked 15 in the world, says the top players are not skipping Davis Cup simply because of its scheduling issues and its format, but because they have their own reasons.


“I’m not sure it’s only about the Davis Cup format, you know. I mean, Roger is playing 13 or 14 tournaments a year. It’s not because of this that he’s not coming to Davis Cup,” said Pouille.


“He won it already. It’s okay. Everybody who won it already, they don’t play any more. Maybe if it was every two or three years, then it will be different.


“But, of course, I mean, we won the Davis Cup end of November. First round we play the beginning of February. I mean, it’s a bit ridiculous. There is no point of playing the first round two months after the final. Maybe there is a point or finding some way to change it. I’m not sure this is the right way.”


Pouille also thinks the timing of this new proposed one-week competition is not a good idea.


“The thing is, then don’t call it the Davis Cup. Apparently it’s going to be the last week of November or something. When do we stop then? We never stop. We never take holidays,” explained the 24-year-old.


“Everybody say the tour is too complicated, that we are very tired at the end of the year because we’re playing too much. Then they put something more at the end of the year. There is no point to do it.


“Maybe do it every two years, every three years, I don’t know. I’m not sure it’s the good idea for the Davis Cup. I mean, it’s not the Davis Cup, it’s the World Team Cup coming back. It’s not the Davis Cup now.”



Most popular

Roger Federer-less draw, Stefanos Tsitsipas and the young guns, and more Dubai talking points

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

The 26th edition of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships commenced on Monday with first round action staged across the first two days.

This week, there are two ATP 500 hard-court events taking place – Dubai and Acapulco – with world No. 4 Grigor Dimitrov headlining the field in the Emirates and Rafael Nadal top dog in Mexico.

Here are the main talking points to discuss in Dubai this week…

WEAKER DRAW

It’s no secret that Dubai has attracted fewer marquee players this year compared to past seasons with Dimitrov being the only top-10 star in the field and together with Lucas Pouille, they are the sole top-20 players here.

For a tournament that has been dominated by the likes of Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray for much of the last decade, this is obviously a surprising draw.

There are a few contributing factors. Federer is 36 and is understandably being more selective with his schedule, and it seems he also committed to attend the Laureus Awards in Monaco on Tuesday.

Nadal was lured by Acapulco since last year, while Djokovic and Murray are both injured.

The Acapulco draw has six of the world’s top-10 and it appears organisers have pulled out all the stops to celebrate the tournament’s 25-year anniversary this week.

The event’s switch from clay to hard-courts in 2014 is now paying dividends, and as it strengthened its position as a direct competition for Dubai, more players are heading west than east for this particular week in the calendar.

Add to that the fact that Acapulco is a short plane ride away from Palm Springs where all the players next compete at Indian Wells and it all adds up. They get to be in the same time zone for a longer period of time, while enjoying the beach in Mexico.

That’s not to say that Dubai won’t be getting strong fields in the future. Players like to change up their schedules from time to time and when all the injured stars are back to full strength, they’re bound to come back to the Aviation Club. Something also tells me Federer won’t retire without at least making one last appearance at his second home.

World No. 15 Lucas Pouille.

World No. 15 Lucas Pouille.

LATE ARRIVALS

Karen Khachanov and Pouille arrive to Dubai on Monday night after contesting the final in Marseille on Sunday. Khachanov triumphed over the Frenchman to claim a second career ATP title and first since Chengdu 2016. Both play their first rounds on Tuesday and will have to make quick adjustments, going from indoors to outdoors and getting used to brand new conditions. The abrupt switch, including a three-hour time difference, can make them easy prey for their opponents with Khachanov facing Uzbekistan’s Denis Istomin and Pouille taking on former top-10 player, Latvian qualifier Ernests Gulbis.

SPANISH (MINI) SLUMP

No. 3 seed Roberto Bautista Agut won the Auckland title, defeating Juan Martin del Potro in the final, in the second week of January and hasn’t won a match since. He came to Dubai on a three-match losing streak but has a style suited to these courts, where he made the quarter-finals in 2016.

The world No. 23 finally stopped the bleeding on Monday as he defeated Florian Mayer 6-3, 6-4 to reach the second round. Can he redeem his recent form by going all the way in Dubai this week?

FRENCH INVASION

There are six Frenchmen in the main draw, which according to the ATP is a tournament high. Pouille, Richard Gasquet, Benoit Paire, Pierre-Hugues Herbert and qualifiers Gleb Sakharov and Quentin Halys. The last Frenchman to win the Dubai title was Fabrico Santoro in 2002. Santoro is here in the Emirates, coaching Gasquet. Will the student emulate his teacher?

YOUNG GUNS ON THE RISE

Greek world No. 82 Stefanos Tsitsipas is the youngest in the draw, aged 19. The Next Gen star, who was handed a wildcard, claimed just his second main draw match win at an ATP 500-level or higher event on Monday by overcoming Kazakhstan’s Mikhail Kukushkin 6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-3. Tsitsipas made the quarter-finals in Doha (ATP 250 event) as a qualifier at the start of the year and reached the semis in Antwerp, also as a qualifier, end of last season.

Keep an eye out as well for 21-year-olds Borna Coric, who opens against Gasquet, and Khachanov.

Into the second round: Stefanos Tsitsipas.

Into the second round: Stefanos Tsitsipas.

DIMITROV AND HIS TOP BILLING

As the only top-10 player in the draw, it goes without saying that Dimitrov is considered the favourite for the title. Since he won the ATP Finals last November – his biggest trophy to date – Dimitrov has been fairly consistent, amassing a 10-3 win-loss record in 2018 that included semis in Brisbane, quarters in the Australian Open and a runner-up showing in Rotterdam. He is recovering from a cold and had a shoulder injury in Melbourne that forced him out of Sofia earlier this month. If he’s healthy, Dubai could be his first title triumph of the season.

Since he didn’t play a tournament this time last year, the Bulgarian stands to gain a full 500 points if he wins the trophy this week, which could see him return to the No. 3 spot.

Most popular

Dubai Tennis: Former ball kid Alexei Popyrin misses out on spot in main draw

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
He'll be back: Alexei Popyrin.

Former Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships ball kid Alexei Popyrin came agonisingly close to fulfilling a lifelong dream of competing in the main draw of the ATP event at the Aviation Club but faltered in the final round of qualifying on Sunday.

On a day where rain interrupted play on the courts in Garhoud, the Australian teenager, who lived in the Emirates between 2009 and 2011 and was a ball boy during the 2009 Dubai tournament, squandered six break points in the opening set and blew a 5-3 lead in the tiebreak to lose 7-6 (5), 6-4 to French world No. 107 Quentin Halys.

The Sydney-born Popyrin, who currently lives in Marbella, won the French Open junior title last year. The 18-year-old is ranked No. 477 in the world and is considered a bright young prospect on the tour.

“It was a tough match but I thought I was in control mostly in the first set. I had six break points in the first set that I couldn’t convert. I’m not very happy with the way the match went but happy with the way I fought, the way I played,” said Popyrin after his match on Sunday.

“I think if the first set went my way it could’ve been a completely different story. Just have to take my chances next time.

“I feel like I can compete with these guys. I don’t feel like it’s a big deal for my game but it’s just mentally, I have to stay in the match focused a bit more. But that all comes with experience.”

Popyrin was given a wildcard into the qualifying rounds in Dubai both last year and this week. Making the transition from ball kid to actually playing at the ATP 500 event has been a highlight for him but he hopes to make it into the main tournament next time around.

“It felt amazing but I’m just disappointed I didn’t get the ‘W’ to play in the main draw. I was so close to making it. Next year maybe,” he said.

“I just bounce back. I do my stuff. Talk with my coach about the match, with my parents. Learn, the most important thing for me is to learn from my mistakes to keep going in my game, mentally keep going. I feel 100 per cent at home when I play in these big tournaments. It just comes with experience I think and age.”

Meanwhile, former top-10 player Ernests Gulbis booked himself a spot in the main draw by defeat Italian Stefano Travaglia 6-3, 6-2. He takes on No. 2 seed Lucas Pouille in the main draw.

MONDAY’S ORDER OF PLAY

Centre Court – 14:00 start
Gleb Sakharov (FRA) v Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER x6)
Not before 16:00
Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP x3) v Florian Mayer (GER)
Not before 19:00
Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) v Viktor Troicki (SRB)
Yoshihito Nishioka (JPN) v Benoit Paire (FRA)

Court 1 – 14:00 start
Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE) v Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ)
Robin Haase (NED) v Quentin Halys (FRA)
Denis Istomin (UZB)/Daniel Nestor (CAN) v Richard Gasquet (FRA)/Pierre-Hugues Herbert (FRA)
Henri Kontinen (FIN x1)/John Peers (AUS x1) v Damir Dzumhur (BIH)/Filip Krajinovic (SRB)

Most popular