Oscar Pistorius is set to be freed on parole in August after serving just 10 months in jail, sparking anger from the family of Reeva Steenkamp – the girlfriend he shot and killed.
Pistorius, who became a global hero after competing in both the Paralympics and Olympics, claimed he mistook Steenkamp for an intruder when he fired four shots through a locked bathroom door on Valentine’s Day in 2013.
The 28-year-old athlete was found guilty last year of culpable homicide and sentenced to five years in prison.
“The Correctional Supervision and Parole Board… approved the placement of Oscar Pistorius under correctional supervision with effect from 21 August,” a government statement said on Monday.
But Steenkamp’s family voiced dismay at the announcement.
“Incarceration of 10 months for taking a life is simply not enough,” Reeva’s parents June and Barry Steenkamp said. “We fear that this will not send out the proper message and serve as the deterrent it should.”
Zach Modise, commissioner of the correctional services, claims Pistorius will likely be kept under house arrest with one hour of free time each day.
However, state prosecutors are appealing against his conviction, saying he should have been found guilty of murder – which would carry a considerably longer sentence – with a hearing set for November.