West Indies appoint Kieron Pollard as new limited-overs captain

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Mumbai's Kieron Pollard. Image - BCCI/SPORTZPICS.

Kieron Pollard has been appointed as the West Indies’ new limited-overs captain as part of a national team revamp.

The Windies are still seeking a full-time head coach to follow interim appointments Richard Pybus and Floyd Reifer.

Pollard, 32, has not played an ODI since 2016 but has featured in Twenty20 internationals, most recently against India last month, and is a regular in international T20 competitions such as the Indian Premier League, the Vitality Blast and Australia’s Big Bash.

Jason Holder will revert to the Test captaincy alone as Pollard takes over from him in 50-over cricket and from Carlos Brathwaite in T20.

Cricket West Indies president Ricky Skerritt told windiescricket.com: “We believe Kieron Pollard is the right person at the right time now to lead the West Indies team in white-ball cricket.

“Jason Holder is a very important force and he is still going to be our red-ball captain.”

Pollard said: “I’m truly honoured to be appointed captain of the West Indies and I would like to thank Cricket West Indies’ board of directors for placing their faith and confidence in me.

“I’ve played franchise cricket all over the world and I hope to use this experience to help the West Indies in my role as captain.

“In the short term as captain, the immediate aim is to defend the T20 World Cup.”

Copy provided by PA

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

England v Australia Test LIVE: Australia look to complete job on day three and retain Ashes

David Cooper 24/08/2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Australia are on the verge of retaining the Ashes thanks to a dominant lead over England of 283 runs, with four wickets remaining, for the third day of the third Test.

The sorry hosts at Headingley were bowled out for just 67 on the second day. This represented their lowest Ashes total since 1948.

Australia then moved onto 171-6, with Marnus Labuschagne unbeaten on 53.

Victory for the holders will give them an unassailable 2-0 lead, with two Tests remaining.

Keep up with ball-by-ball coverage below:

Most popular

Ashes 2019: Steve Smith ruled out of third Test at Headingley

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Ashes Test at Headingley following his concussion diagnosis.

Australia’s Smith was withdrawn on day five of the second Test after showing delayed symptoms from the 92mph Jofra Archer bouncer that struck him in the neck the previous afternoon.

The 30-year-old, who has scored 144, 142 and 92 in his three innings to date, was present at Australia’s training session in Leeds on Tuesday but did not take any active part in proceedings.

Smith retired hurt after being floored by the Archer delivery but returned to complete his innings after less than an hour off the field.

He gave an unsteady performance, uncharacteristically missing a straight ball to fall lbw then calling for a review at the same time as walking to the pavilion.

At the time he had passed all necessary concussion testing but his condition deteriorated overnight and Marnus Labuschagne duly became Test cricket’s first concussion substitute.

Smith declared his intention to play at Headingley provided he was passed fit by medics but given most guidelines on return-to-play protocols that always seemed unlikely.

Provided by Press Association Sport 

Most popular

Related Sections