Steve Smith and David Warner included in Australia's World Cup Squad

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Batsmen Steve Smith and David Warner have been named in Australia‘s World Cup squad, marking their return to the national team following bans over the ball-tampering scandal.

Former captain Smith and Warner were suspended for a year due to their roles in the plan to manipulate the ball using sandpaper during last March’s third Test against South Africa.

Now the duo, who have played in this season’s Indian Premier League (IPL), will return to the international stage in the tournament in England and Wales, which starts on May 30.

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said: “We have been extremely pleased with how the ODI squad has been building over the past six months, including the recent series wins in India and against Pakistan in the UAE.

“Steve Smith and David Warner come back into the squad. Both are world-class players and it has been pleasing to see them produce some good form in the IPL.”

Australia have also named spinners Adam Zampa and Nathan Lyon in the squad alongside Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Jason Behrendorff, Jhye Richardson and Nathan Coulter-Nile.

Peter Handscomb, who scored his maiden one-day hundred in India last month, and Josh Hazlewood are among the big names to have missed out on a spot.

“Mitchell Starc and Jhye Richardson have both been named subject to fitness,” Hohns said.

“Given the depth of talent and competition for spots, there were a number of tough calls we had to make to settle on our squad of 15.

“Unfortunately, from the recent squad which toured India and the UAE, Peter Handscomb, Ashton Turner and Kane Richardson have made way for the above inclusions, but all three have been included in the Australia A squad for the tour of England.”

Fast bowler Hazlewood has been trying to recover from a back injury which has kept him on the sidelines since January and could still be selected for the Ashes series starting at Edgbaston in August.

“Josh Hazlewood has also been named in the Australia A squad,” Hohns added.

“Having not played at the highest level for some time, we feel this will provide him with the best preparation to get some quality cricket under his belt.

“Our focus is to have Josh back bowling at his best for the commencement of a big Ashes tour.”

Australia’s opening World Cup match will be against Afghanistan on June 1.

Smith and Warner have also been added to cricket Australia’s 2019-20 contracted player list, which was released shortly after the World Cup squad announcement.

Australia’s World Cup squad: Aaron Finch (c), Jason Behrendorff, Alex Carey (wk), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Pat Cummins, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa.

2019-20 men’s contracts: Pat Cummins, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Alex Carey, Aaron Finch, Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Glenn Maxwell, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine, James Pattinson, Jhye Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa.

Provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular

Australia quick Mitchell Starc sues insurer for $1.5m over missed 2018 IPL

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Mitchell Starc.

Australian fast bowler Mitchell Starc is suing his insurer to recover $1.53 m that he lost out on for missing the IPL last year due to injury, according to Fairfax.

Starc was diagnosed with a calf injury in the second Test against South Africa last year before suffering a tibial bone fracture in the following Test. According to the report, Starc filed a case in the Victorian County Court against the insurers – a syndicate of Lloyd’s of London – of his deal to play for Kolkata Knight Riders after he was bought by the franchise for $1.8 million.

Starc didn’t feature in the tournament and was subsequently released by the franchise for the ongoing season.

According to documents presented to the court and reported by Fairfax, Starc had a $1.53m policy for missing the IPL to injury. The left-arm seamer reportedly paid a premium of $97,920. The particular insurance provides coverage for such unique circumstances. His contract had a number of exclusions for old injuries.

“The parties have exchanged correspondence about the plaintiff’s claim which culminated in a final response from the defendant’s representative in the form of an email sent on 22 November 2018,” the writ said. “That email confirmed the defendant’s contention that the plaintiff is not entitled to the total disablement benefit.”

Most popular

Australia stars deny boycott reports if David Warner had been cleared of ball-tampering

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Four Australia bowlers have denied reports they were prepared to boycott a Test match if David Warner had been cleared to play following the ball-tampering scandal.

Spinner Nathan Lyon and pace bowlers Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood all denied the Sydney Morning Herald’s claim they intended to sit out the final Test of the South Africa series last year following the incident in Cape Town.

Warner, Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft were all eventually suspended due to their roles in the plan to manipulate the ball using sandpaper during last March’s third Test.

A joint statement from the bowling quartet read: “We are extremely disappointed in an article which was first published across Fairfax platforms on March 29, 2019.

“The article claims we intended to withdraw from the fourth Test during last year’s tour of South Africa had David Warner been free to play.

“This claim is disappointing on a number of fronts but most importantly because it is false.

“False claims circulated in the media, such as these, which question our relationship with David are inflammatory and misleading.

“As a team we are all focused on moving forward together and helping the Australian men’s team prepare for the World Cup and the Ashes.”

Warner and Smith are free to return to the international stage after serving their one-year bans, while Bancroft has completed his nine-month suspension and will captain Durham in this season’s County Championship.

Most popular