Sourav Ganguly backs Rohit Sharma to become first batsman to score T20 double-ton

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Ganguly, Tendulkar and Rohit share a light moment.

According to former India skipper Sourav Ganguly, the day is not far away when Rohit Sharma will score a double ton in T20 cricket.

Ganguly made the claim during the book launch of his latest autobiography ‘A Century is not Enough’ in Mumbai on Wednesday. Accompanying the highly-decorated former skipper were the legendary Sachin Tendulkar and Rohit himself.

Praising the current India vice-captain and Mumbai Indians skipper, Ganguly backed Rohit to become the first T20 double centurion.

“Sachin scored his first hundred in ODI and taking inspiration from him, Rohit has gone on to score three double centuries in ODIs. The day is not far when we will see him scoring the first double century in T20s too,” he was quoted as saying by the PTI.

The 45-year-old was also asked by a member in the audience to give his views on the recent ball-tampering episode that has rocked Australian cricket.

Expressing sympathy for the suspended Steve Smith, Ganguly was confident that the former Australia skipper will be able to fight his way back into the side.

The trio poses with Ganguly's autobiography.

The trio poses with Ganguly’s autobiography.

“Smith is a good human being. Of course, what happened is unfortunate but I’m sure he will make a comeback to the Australian side and we will see him play again. I feel sympathy for him,” he stated.

The Kolkata-born left-hander also spoke in brief about his infamous run-in with former India coach and Australia captain Greg Chappell which had led to Ganguly’s ousting from the team.

“A big part of success in cricket, in any sport is how you handle your failures and tough situations. What happened during those days in Indian cricket was unfortunate but after losing my place in the team, I worked really hard to make a comeback. And when I finally made a comeback, I was much stronger mentally. I batted well in the last four years of my career and in fact Sachin always says that those four years were the best period of my life as a batsman,” Ganguly explained.

Most popular

Virat Kohli refreshed and raring to go once again after 'much needed' break from cricket

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
The Royal Challengers Bangalore skipper is ready for the IPL season.

India skipper Virat Kohli has said that his break from cricket following the culmination of the South Africa tour had been a much-needed one.

Currently preparing to lead the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the 11th edition of the IPL, Kohli had taken a complete three-week break from cricket following his exertions on the South Africa tour.

“I required it. Physically I was having a few niggles. I pretty much went to the tour of South Africa with full intensity. Towards the end, the body obviously took a bit of beating. I understood that I needed complete time off from the game. Three weeks without even looking at my kit bag or bats was a weird feeling,” the batting maestro said in a media interaction at Bengaluru on Wednesday.

In Kohli’s absence, Rohit Sharma had led India to a win in the Nidahas T20I tri-series in Sri Lanka. Following his break, the right-handed batsman said he was back to his peak fitness and raring to go in the IPL.

“At the back of your mind, you are never out of the game. I was keeping a check on all the scores from around the world, especially with India playing as well. That kept me involved in some way. Physically, I wanted to take a complete break. I’m feeling strong and I’ve been training non-stop for the last 12 days. I feel I’m getting close to peak condition. I’m definitely at 100 percent now; 110 is what I prefer and that 10 will take a little more time,” Kohli explained.

Kohli was granted a break by the BCCI after the South African tour.

Kohli was granted a break by the BCCI after the South African tour.

The Bengaluru-based franchise are yet to lift the IPL trophy despite making three finals and it is a record which the skipper wants to put right in the upcoming edition.

“More than the fans I want to win the cup. I have been with Bangalore for last 10 years and we haven’t crossed the final hurdle three times. I can assure you, my commitment is going to be 120 per cent to try and achieve the goal this time,” the 29-year-old stated.

Kohli’s men will open their IPL campaign on April 8 when they take on Kolkata Knight Riders at the Eden Gardens.

Most popular

India home match now worth more than IPL game as broadcast rights bid nears billion-dollar mark

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Indian players are currently not allowed to play in overseas T20 leagues.

The bidding for the broadcast rights for Indian cricket will enter a third day after an intense round of battle during BCCI’s online auction on Wednesday.

The highest bid at the end of the second day was approximately $925 million (Dh3.3billion) in the global consolidated rights (GCR) category, which includes worldwide TV and digital rights.

That is a substantial jump in value from the previous deal the BCCI had with Star India – $750m (Dh2.7bn). With the auction set to resume on Thursday, the bidding is expected to cross the billion-dollar mark which will be a second such deal for the BCCI within a year after it sold the five-year IPL rights to Star India for $2.55 billion (Dh9.3bn)  in 2017.

The bidding is on for 102 senior men’s team matches. As things stand, the per match value of India’s home matches – rupees 591 million (Dh33m) – has already surpassed the per-match valuation of an IPL game – rupees 545 million (Dh30m). IPL has a lot more matches – 60 per season – resulting in a bigger overall value.

The world’s richest cricketing board put up three categories for sale on Tuesday. The categories are Indian television rights and rest of the world digital rights (GTRVD), digital rights for the Indian subcontinent alone (ID) and the global consolidated rights (GCR).

The three bidders which remain in the fray are Star India, Sony India and Reliance Jio, down from the six including Google and Facebook which had initially shown interest.

The deal will give the broadcaster the rights to 102 matches of the Indian men’s team for a five-year period between June 2018 to March 2023. It will also include the rights for the Indian women’s team as well the domestic matches.

Most popular