Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed defended his aggressive style of captaincy and insisted his players don’t have an issue with his style after the wicketkeeper batsman was criticised in some quarters for losing his cool too often and admonishing his players for almost every indiscretion.
Sarfraz’s behavior came in focus during the second T20 of the recently concluded tour of New Zealand where he walked up to star bowler Hasan Ali after the quick was hit for a boundary as the hosts chased 202, only for the seamer to ignore his captain and continue walking back to his mark.
That incident has become the focal point of discussions surrounding Sarfraz’s leadership. But the man himself played down the incident during a TV interview, insisting such incidents shouldn’t be blown out of proportion as the team understands his intentions.
“Whatever happens in the ground, I don’t do it deliberately. Neither at club level, Under-19 or first-class. Yes, I get a bit too involved in the match. Some people like it, some don’t. I try to make sure my style (of functioning) remains the same),” Sarfraz told Pakistan’s Samaa TV.
“These things happen sometimes but the players are very understanding and they don’t mind it.”
Pakistan become number one in ICC T20 Rankings after defeating New Zealand 2-1 in the series. This is Pakistan's 5th consecutive series win since the WT20 2016 plus a one-off victory in Manchester. Sarfraz Ahmed has never lost a series as captain. #NZvPak— Mazher Arshad (@MazherArshad) January 28, 2018
When asked specifically about the incident with pacer Ali, the gloveman said the 23-year-old is a team man and there are no issues between the two.
“Whatever happened with Hasan Ali, it was a matter of a couple of minutes and ended there. I spoke to him later on as well. There is no issue. It finished then and there and I hope it won’t happen again. Hasan is a team-man and puts his heart and soul into it,” Sarfraz added.
While Pakistan are currently the No1 team in the world in T20 cricket, captain Sarfraz is not exactly feeling on top of the world.
After suffering a sobering 2-0 Test series defeat in the UAE against Sri Lanka, Ahmed oversaw a 5-0 thrashing in the recent ODI series in New Zealand before his side fought back in the subsequent T20 series to register a 2-1 win.
Former Pakistan opener Khalid Latif has lost an appeal against a five-year ban for spot-fixing but had his one million rupee ($10,000) fine waived, the country’s cricket body said.
Adjudicator Justice Faqir Khokhar upheld the ban, saying there was “overwhelming” evidence against Latif, but waived the fine as his career was almost over, Pakistan cricket Board lawyer Taffazul Rizvi told reporters in Lahore.
Latif, who had shown tremendous early promise as a cricketer but failed to make an impact at international level, played five one-day internationals and 13 T20Is, the last of which was against the West Indies in Abu Dhabi in September 2016.
The scandal surfaced during the second edition of the Pakistan Super League in February last year when Latif was playing for Islamabad United.
Latif, 32, was charged with orchestrating a deal with a bookie that would see his fellow opener Sharjeel Khan deliberately playing two dot balls – deliveries off which no run is scored – in the opening match against Peshawar Zalmi in Dubai.
Spot-fixing involves determining the outcome of a specific part of a match rather than the overall result, and is therefore harder to detect than match-fixing.
Sharjeel was also banned for five years – two and a half years suspended – and his appeal was rejected last November.
Paceman Mohammad Irfan and spinner Mohammad Nawaz were banned for one year and two months respectively for not reporting fixing offers.
Another former opener Nasir Jamshed – alleged to have played a role as coordinator in the PSL fixing deal – was banned for one year for not cooperating with the inquiry.
The decision against another international player, Shahzaib Hasan, was reserved and will be announced on Saturday.
Pakistani cricket has long been tainted by allegations of spot-fixing.
The most infamous incident came on the 2010 tour of England, when then-captain Salman Butt and bowlers Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif were all given prison sentences for conspiring to bowl deliberate no-balls in the fourth Test at Lord’s.
27-year-old Abbas is expected to play for the majority of the 2018 season for the outfit bar late April to mid-June where he could be a part of Pakistan’s side for the tour of England.
33-year-old Sohail has been signed as cover and will fill in for Abbas for the remainder of the season should the latter be called up to the Pakistan squad.
Seamer Abbas has been Pakistan’s top domestic bowler for the past two years finishing as the highest wicket-taker in both of them. He has played five Tests for his country in his career so far picking up 23 wickets.
Sohail meanwhile has played nine Tests for Pakistan with his last appearance for his country coming in the historic T20I series against the ICC World XI in Lahore last year.
Leicestershire coach and former England international Paul Nixon was delighted with the addition of the two seamers for the upcoming season.
Speaking to the BBC, he said “We have been looking for a quality fast bowler as our overseas professional and Mohammad Abbas ticks all of the boxes.
“His Test match record is different class, he is the new kid on the block, and I am delighted to secure his signature.
“It was vital that we secured high-class cover. Sohail Khan has a superb record both in red and white-ball cricket.”