Pakistan's Umar Akmal claims he was approached by bookies ahead of 2015 ICC World Cup clash against India

Waseem Ahmed 24/06/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Umar Akmal has made a sensational claim on a Pakistan TV channel.

Pakistan’s Umar Akmal had made a sensational claim of a spot-fixing approach made to him during the 2015 ICC World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

Akmal, who is no stranger to controversy, made the shocking revelations while appearing on a show on Samaa TV.

According to the 28-year-old batsman, he was approached by bookies to leave two deliveries during Pakistan’s campaign opener against arch-rivals India.

“I had got an offer during the World Cup to leave alone two balls and they were willing to pay me $200,000 for that. It was our first match against India in the 2015 World Cup,” Akmal said on the TV show.

“Similar offers have been made in the past as well. In the matches with India I’ve been told to make some excuse and opt out of the game for which I’d be paid but I have told those people that I am committed to Pakistan and to not approach me ever with such offers,” he added.

India went on to win the clash at Adelaide by 76 runs ultimately. The two sides are scheduled to meet again in the 2019 World Cup at Old Trafford on June 16.

The right-handed batsman has played 16 Tests, 116 ODIs and 82 T20Is in his career so far. However, a spate of controversies, including a run-in with head coach Mickey Arthur, has seen Akmal ignored from the Pakistan set-up for some time now.

The batsman has not been called up to the international side ever since he played his last ODI against Australia in January, 2017.

Most popular

ICC reportedly considering limiting the number of T20 leagues a player can participate in

Sudhir Gupta 24/06/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
The likes of Chris Gayle could be affected by the move. Image - IPL/Twitter.

Cricket players around the world could be restricted to participating in only two international T20 leagues if the latest reports are anything to go by.

According to the Mumbai Mirror, the ICC is considering formulating a policy wherein the amount of franchise T20 leagues a player can participate in will be restricted.

The report states that the ICC will consider such a step in its annual conference at Dubai next week. If formulated, the policy could see cricketers restricted to playing only one overseas T20 league apart from their home league.

This would mean that a player such as Chris Gayle, will have the option of playing in only one overseas league like the IPL apart from the Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

This new proposed rule would not affect the BCCI and India players if it goes through. At the moment, the BCCI does not permit any of its contracted players to participate in any overseas leagues.

The likes of Thisara Perera play in multiple T20 leagues.

The likes of Thisara Perera play in multiple T20 leagues.

“It’s the first meeting (the ICC annual conference) but it’s ensuring that all of the domestic leagues popping up have minimum standards around governance/anti-corruption/paying players etc. Besides, the leagues don’t compromise players playing international cricket,” a source close to the development was quoted as saying by Mumbai Mirror.

In the same report, a BCCI official is quoted as saying: “They may also consider limiting the number of overseas leagues that players can play in but also ensuring that they’re appropriately rewarded for international cricket. A whole host of things to consider.

“But it will not have any impact on the BCCI or the IPL as the new rules will not be violative of the BCCI policy on T20 tournaments,” the official added.

Such a move, if passed, could have a considerable impact on many players who ply their trades in multiple T20 leagues around the globe.

Most popular

Adam Gilchrist brands England Women's Sarah Taylor as best wicketkeeper in international cricket

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Taylor is Gilchrist's pick for the current best wicketkeeper in the world.

Australia legend Adam Gilchrist has called England women’s Sarah Taylor the best wicketkeeper in international cricket currently.

The former Australia wicket-keeper batsman believes wicketkeepers in the women’s game have become highly skillful due to the fact that they have to stand up to the stumps for the majority of the time.

Gilchrist made the comments in an interview on BBC Radio 5 show Test Match Special during the fourth ODI between England and Australia at Chester-le-Street.

“I tweeted, no longer than a week ago, that she is the best wicketkeeper in the world at the moment – male or female,” Gilchrist stated during the show.

“She’s done some work over the years in the Big Bash in Australia and with social media now you can see these little snippets,” he added.

The 46-year-old also highlighted Australia Women’s Alyssa Healy as another wicketkeeper who has shown some great glove work.

“It’s a pretty bold statement, because there are a lot of fine wicketkeepers around – Alyssa Healy is another from the women’s game, just so skillful with soft hands effecting these leg-side stumpings,” Gilchrist opined.

“They spend so much time up to the stumps with a little less pace on the ball in the women’s game and are so skillful, I’ve seen a lot and a couple in the internationals over the last week or two have been brilliant pieces of work.”

Taylor, 29, is one of the most recognisable faces in the women’s game and was part of England’s Word Cup winning campaign last year. She has played nine Tests, 116 ODIs and 87 T20Is for England in his career so far.

Most popular