Malaysia's iconic Kinrara Oval - where Kohli won U19 World Cup - faces closure

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
The Kinrara Oval in Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysia’s iconic Kinrara Oval cricket stadium is in danger of being abandoned after a property developer reportedly forced sport’s local body out.

The Kinrara Oval was built in 2003 and has hosted ODIs featuring India, Australia and the West Indies, along with Under-19 World Cup games. The venue sits on prime real estate west of the capital Kuala Lumpur. Virat Kohli was the captain of the India U19 team when the men in blue won the 2008 U-19 World Cup there.

However, the Malaysian Cricket Association’s lease has expired and they have been told to vacate by the end of the month, according to the group’s secretary Mohammed Iqbal Ali Kassim Ali.

“It will be a sad day if we lose the Kinrara Oval,” he was quoted as saying by AFP. India batsman Sachin Tendulkar scored an unbeaten 141 against the West Indies in an ODI at the venue in September 2006.

India's then U19 captain Virat Kohli (2nd r) with Ravindra Jadeja (r) at the 2008 Under-19 World Cup.

India’s then U19 captain Virat Kohli (2nd r) with Ravindra Jadeja (r) at the 2008 Under-19 World Cup.

“It is a world class, iconic pitch. We want the ground to remain the home of Malaysian cricket.”

The association is trying to save the venue and the ICC supported the effort.

“Cricket in Malaysia is flourishing with the number of players in all age groups growing… and we are hopeful a sustainable solution can be found,” David Richardson, the ICC chief executive said in a statement.

“The ICC will continue to support Malaysia cricket and hopes the Kinrara Oval will remain an international cricket venue.”

The Pakistan women’s team are currently playing Australia’s in an ODI series at the stadium.

The local body met with the sports minister last week and Iqbal said he has also written to Prime minister Mahathir Mohamad.

Most popular

Watch: Five-year-old Pakistan boy copies Jasprit Bumrah's bowling action

Waseem Ahmed 22/10/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Bumrah has a new fan in Pakistan.

India pacer Jasprit Bumrah has enjoyed a meteoric rise in international cricket ever since he created a massive impact in the IPL with Mumbai Indians.

The 24-year-old fast bowler is currently the top ranked ODI bowler in the world and his unorthodox bowling action has flummoxed both batsmen and pundits alike.

Now, a five-year-old boy from Pakistan has attempted to copy Bumrah’s bowling action and going by video evidence, has nailed it. The video of the Pakistan youngster’s attempt to emulate Bumrah’s action has gone viral on social media, so much so that the India man took notice of it.

Bumrah took to Twitter on Sunday to give his thoughts on the viral video.

“As a kid, I remember how I used to copy the actions of my cricketing heroes. It’s a wonderful feeling to see kids copying my action today,” the Indian pacer wrote in his post.

Pundits and former players have expressed their concerns about the long-term sustainability of Bumrah’s bowling action given the massive strain it puts on his body.

However, the Baroda-born bowler disagrees and stated that no bowler in the world has a perfect bowling action.

“I don’t focus on what the experts are saying or not. I focus on what has helped me and I try to focus on my body and what do I need to keep myself fit. There is not a perfect action in cricket. Show me a bowler who has not got injured. I focus on how to improve my fitness level,” he had told Scroll recently.

Most popular

Related Tags

Sri Lanka board official arrested over charges of financial fraud

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Sri Lanka fans. Image for representation.

Sri Lankan police arrested a top cricket official on Monday over a $5.5 million fraud.

According to AFP, the fraud related to sale of TV rights for the ongoing England tour of the country.

Chief Financial Officer at Sri Lanka cricket (SLC) – Nandika Dissanayake – was taken into custody as the main suspect in the fraud after the Sri Lankan board filed a complaint two weeks ago.

Apparently, Dissanayake had already siphoned off $183,000 which was meant for SLC from Sony TV for broadcast rights for the recently concluded South African tour.

Reports stated Dissanayake tried to appropriate another $5.5 million due from the sale of TV rights for the current England tour when he was nabbed.

SLC is currently auditing its accounts following the discovery of the fraud. The England tour will end on November 27.

Most popular