Cricket Australia upholds bans handed to Smith, Warner and Bancroft

Sport360 staff 08:10 20/11/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Warner and Smith's one-year bans will be upheld.

Steve Smith and David Warner will not make a premature return to domestic cricket after their one-year bans for ball tampering were upheld by Cricket Australia (CA) on Tuesday.

The Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) had called on Cricket Australia to immediately overturn the bans handed to Smith, Warner and Cameron Bancroft, arguing that the players had already been ‘punished enough’.

The Australian players’ union had made the submission in light of Cricket Australia’s cultural review which had deduced that a ‘win at all cost’ mentality had been allowed to fester within the team by the organisation.

The cricketing body, however, has deemed the sanctions handed out to the three players to be appropriate and will not be making any amendments to the same.

“The Cricket Australia board has carefully considered all elements of the ACA submission and has determined it is not appropriate to make any changes to the sanctions handed down to the three players,” Cricket Australia interim chairman Earl Eddings said in a statement.

“The original decision of the board to sanction the players was determined after rigorous discussion and consideration.

“CA maintains that both the length and nature of the sanctions remain an appropriate response in light of the considerable impact on the reputation of Australian cricket, here and abroad.”

The trio had been sanctioned by the board for their roles in the ball-tampering scandal which occurred during Australia’s tour of South Africa earlier this year. While they have been banned from domestic competitions like the Sheffield Shield, they have been allowed to participate in grade cricket.

ACA had vowed to campaign relentlessly to get the players’ bans overturned but Cricket Australia has made it clear that there will be no change in their stance.

“We believe the ongoing conversation about reducing the sanctions puts undue pressure on the three players – all of whom accepted the sanctions earlier this year – and the Australian men’s cricket team. As such, the Cricket Australia board does not intend to consider further calls for amendments to the sanctions,” said Eddings.

Bancroft’s nine-month ban will come to an end on December 29 while those of Smith and Warner will culminate on March 29, 2019.

Know more about Sport360 Application

Recommended

Most popular