Tamim calls on Bangladesh to get their act together ahead of final ODI v New Zealand

Waseem Ahmed 19/02/2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Bangladesh take on the Kiwis in the final ODI at Dunedin.

Bangladesh opener Tamim Iqbal has called on his team-mates to step up their game ahead of the third and final ODI against New Zealand at Dunedin on Wednesday.

Bangladesh have already squandered the three-match series after comprehensive defeats in the first and second ODIs and will be playing for pride in the dead rubber.

Tamim’s own form with the bat has been under the scrutiny with the left-hander being dismissed for identical scores of five in both the games. The Bangladesh stalwart believes a failure at the top of the batting has been the biggest cause of his side’s downfall against the Kiwis.

“To be honest I will only hope that we don’t give away the game in the opening 10 overs, because if you lose a couple of wickets it gets difficult to make a comeback,” told the media on Monday.

“I think we did that in the opening two games and paid the price, and we hope not to make those mistakes in the next game.”

Tamim has failed to fire in the two matches so far.

Tamim has failed to fire in the two matches so far.

With the ICC World Cup coming up in England in just over three months, Tamim has urged Bangladesh to get their act together as quickly as possible.

“Last year we played some good cricket but this year we have not been able to play good cricket. Last time we put up a fight but this year there was no contest,” he said.

“I don’t know why we are failing to beat them here despite coming to New Zealand on three to four occasions. Because we have beaten them in Ireland and England, there is no reason why we cannot beat them here. First of all, we need to play good cricket, and we need to do it quickly as the World Cup is not very far ahead,” added Tamim.

Following the completion of the third ODI on Wednesday, New Zealand and Bangladesh will battle it out in a three-match Test series beginning on February 28.

Recommended

Most popular

Windies v England ODIs: Chris Gayle against Mark Wood and other key battles

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Chris Gayle (l) v Mark Wood (r).

Following their exertions in the Test series, West Indies and England now turn their attentions to the five-match ODI series which begins in Barbados on Wednesday.

The hosts were mighty impressive in their 2-1 Test series triumph but they will have their task cut out against the No1 ranked Englishmen in the ODI format.

As the two teams get ready for the first ODI – with less than 100 days to go until to the World Cup – we look at the three key battles which could have a decisive impact on the series.

SHIMRON HETMYER v ADIL RASHID

The Windies have a penchant for producing some swashbuckling limited-overs batsmen and Shimron Hetmyer is the latest such sensation to emerge for the Caribbean side.

Having forged his reputation in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL), the left-hander has been slowly enforcing his authority at the international level. Three ODI tons in just 20 innings is a testament to the prowess of the 22-year-old and he has the capability to take the game away from the opposition in a matter of a few overs.

He loves taking on the spinners and will relish his prospective battle with Adil Rashid. The England leg-spinner might have been mostly a passenger in the Test series but he is a completely different beast in the limited-overs format and will fancy his chances of toppling the uber-attacking Hetmyer.

Shimron Hetmyer (l) v Adil Rashid (r).

Shimron Hetmyer (l) v Adil Rashid (r).

JASON HOLDER v JOE ROOT

It was Jason Holder who won the battle of the skippers against Joe Root in the Test series, with the West Indies all-rounder leading his side from the front thanks to a sensational double ton.

Although it will be Eoin Morgan who takes charge of England in the ODI format, Holder will still hope to be a thorn in the side for Root throughout the five-match series.

Root warmed up for the ODI series with a fine ton in England’s warm-up game at Barbados and the top-order batsman remains key for his side despite the presence of several big hitters.

While Root will look to anchor the innings for the tourists, Holder, who was suspended for the third Test due to his side’s slow over-rate, will be determined to get the better of him. The talismanic Windies skipper has a habit of turning up against the big-name players like Virat Kohli and as such, his battle with Root should be an enticing one for the neutrals.

Jason Holder l) v Joe Root (r).

Jason Holder l) v Joe Root (r).

CHRIS GAYLE v MARK WOOD

Having announced his decision to retire from ODI cricket following the completion of this summer’s World Cup, Chris Gayle will be determined to pack a punch in what will be his last home series in the format.

The 39-year-old ‘Universe Boss’ is returning to international cricket after a long hiatus and wasn’t in the best of form during the recently concluded Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) either.

However, the explosive opener will look to sign off on a high in front of his own fans, especially at Barbados which is his home ground.

While Gayle is capable of striking fear into any opposition bowler, Mark Wood will be hoping to buck that trend. The England pacer was excellent on his return to red-ball cricket in the final Test against the Windies and will be looking to carry over that performance into the limited-overs clashes.

With a place in England’s World Cup squad on the line for Wood, the express fast-bowler should be hungry enough and he will back himself to get the better of a rusty Gayle with the new-ball in hand.

Chris Gayle (l) v Mark Wood (r).

Chris Gayle (l) v Mark Wood (r).

22

Most popular

Harbhajan Singh calls on India to boycott 2019 ICC World Cup clash with Pakistan

Sport360 staff 19/02/2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Former India off-spinner Harbhajan Singh (l).

Harbhajan Singh has urged India to boycott the 2019 ICC World Cup clash against Pakistan in the wake of the attack on the country’s paramilitary forces in Kashmir.

Tensions between the two neighbouring countries have been on the rise since the incident in Pulwama, Kashmir which resulted in the death of 40 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel occurred last Thursday.

Former India off-spinner Harbhajan believes India should not play the World Cup fixture against Pakistan slated to take place on June 16 at Manchester as a mark of protest.

“There is no need for any relations with Pakistan, let alone cricket,” Harbhajan was quoted as saying by AFP.

“Don’t play the World Cup match with Pakistan on June 16 – country comes first for all of us and we are all standing with our forces,” he continued.

Bilateral cricket relations between India and Pakistan have been at a standstill for some time now with matches between the two arch-rivals restricted to multi-team tournament like the World Cup and Asia Cup.

India and Pakistan are due to clash on June 16 in the World Cup.

India and Pakistan are due to clash on June 16 in the World Cup.

Should India opt not to play the round-robin fixture against Pakistan at Old Trafford, they would forfeit the points but Harbhajan is not bothered by the repercussions.

“I don’t care about losing points as the Indian team is powerful enough to win the World Cup without playing Pakistan,” he stated.

Harbhajan’s call for a boycott against Pakistan has been backed by Suresh Bafna, the president of the Cricket Club of India (CCI).

“CCI is a sporting association but nation comes first,” Bafna stated.

In another development, Indian company IMG-Reliance has pulled out of its deal as the official producers of the ongoing Pakistan Super League (PSL) in the wake of the attack. Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) are expected to announce a contingency replacement soon before the league resumes at Sharjah on Thursday.

Most popular