Pakistan all-rounder Imad Wasim had a respectable debut for Nottinghamshire on Friday after signing up with the county outfit for the ongoing T20 Blast.
Imad signed for Outlaws on Friday and was drafted straight into the playing XI for the clash against Derbyshire which his side managed to win by 27 runs.
The all-rounder struck an unbeaten 10 with the bat before finishing with figures of 1-16 from his three overs in the clash.
“I can’t wait to represent the Outlaws in T20 cricket,” the Pakistan man said on his Nottinghamshire stint.
“Trent Bridge is a wonderful ground with fans who are passionate and knowledgeable. They were a generous audience during the One-Day International earlier this year and Trent Bridge under floodlights looked amazing.
BREAKING | @simadwasim, the Pakistani international who sits fourth in the ODI world rankings for all-rounders, signs for the #Outlaws.— Nottinghamshire CCC (@TrentBridge) July 26, 2019
He's straight into the squad for tonight.
READ ▶️ https://t.co/2an9EAUfQo pic.twitter.com/Rsg6MN7fnC
“My aim is to contribute to the Outlaws going all the way. They did it in 2017 and we have an exciting squad with lots of international talent that’s capable of doing it again.”
Imad has so far played 52 ODIs and 35 T20Is for Pakistan over the course of his career and has managed to establish himself as a limited-overs specialist.
The all-rounder’s signature was welcomed by Mick Newell, Nottinghamshire’s director of cricket.
“With the nature of the international schedule, it’s a very difficult market in which to sign overseas players – far more difficult than it used to be,” Newell stated.
“With Imad becoming available on the back of the World Cup, we acted as quickly as possible to secure him. The paperwork and clearances have taken a little bit of extra time, meaning we’ve had to start the tournament without him.
“He brings an additional spin bowling option that we think we can benefit from and he’ll strengthen our middle-order batting as well.”
Meanwhile, Imad’s Pakistan team-mate Babar Azam sizzled for Somerset in the T20 Blast on Friday with a 61-ball 95. The Pakistan man still ended up on the losing side eventually with Liam Dawson leading Hampshire to a four-wicket win.
Stalwart Lasith Malinga is hoping that Sri Lanka can develop some genuine match-winning bowlers following his ODI retirement in front of a packed Colombo crowd on Friday.
The 35-year-old brought down the curtains on a magnificent ODI career with an excellent three-wicket haul against Bangladesh which helped the hosts to a big 91-run win in the series opener.
It means that the veteran pacer has finished his career as the ninth most prolific bowler in ODI history with 338 scalps and he is behind only Muttiah Muralitharan and Chamdinda Vaas among his countrymen.
Speaking in the presentation after an emotional farewell at the Premadasa stadium, Malinga said, “I tried my best all through my career.”
“I hope all the young bowlers do this as well. Because just surviving in cricket, I don’t think anyone can go far. You have to be a match-winner.
“That’s what I’m looking forward to in the future. These young bowlers have to get match winning performances and people have to tell that’s a match winning bowler. We have a couple of guys, they have the ability, we have to look after them.”
Malinga was Sri Lanka’s most prolific bowler in the 2019 World Cup in England where he picked up a total of 13 wickets. While he has hung up his ODI boots, the pacer still intends to continue playing T20I cricket for Sri Lanka and is aiming to feature in the 2020 T20 World Cup in Australia.
The Galle-born pacer feels that was the right time for him to move on from ODI cricket even though he has looked to be on the top of his game in recent times in the 50-over format.
“I’ve played the last 15 years for Sri Lanka,” Malinga stated.
“Really an honour to play and really happy to play for these people and for all the crowd that’s been behind me.
“I feel this is the time I have to move on because we have to build for the 2023 World Cup and that’s why I realised, okay, my time is up, I have to go.”
Veteran opener Chris Gayle has been named in the West Indies ODI squad to face India in the upcoming series in the Caribbean.
The Jamaican had initially stated a desire to retire from international cricket post the completion of the 2019 World Cup in England but changed his mind midway through the tournament.
Gayle had expressed an interest in playing the ODI series against India and the selectors have granted the explosive opener his wish. The 39-year-old has so far played 298 ODIs for his country where he has score 10,393 runs with the help of 25 centuries.
Gayle now just needs 13 runs more to become the most prolific West Indies ODI batsman in history. Windies great Brian Lara currently holds that mantle with 10,405 runs to his name.
There was no place in the ODI side for star all-rounder Andre Russell whose World Cup campaign was cut short due to a troublesome knee. While Russell failed to make the cut for the ODIs, he had managed to find a place in the T20I squad named earlier.
All-rounders Roston Chase and Keemo Paul have been handed ODI recalls along with opener John Campbell while the likes of Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel and Ashley Nurse have been dropped following their World Cup displays.
India are slated to play two Tests, three T20Is and as many ODIs in their full tour of the West Indies. The ODI series between the two sides gets underway on August 8 with the first clash set to take in Providence, Guyana.
West Indies 14-man ODI Squad
Jason Holder (c), Chris Gayle, John Campbell, Evin Lewis, Shai Hope (wk), Shimron Hetmyer, Nicholas Pooran (wk), Roston Chase, Fabian Allen, Carlos Brathwaite, Keemo Paul, Sheldon Cottrell, Oshane Thomas, Kemar Roach.