Mickey Arthur has been left ‘hurt and disappointed’ after the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) opted against renewing his contract as head coach of the Pakistan men’s team.
The Australian had earlier sought a two-year extension to his Pakistan stint with his current contract with the PCB set to expire on August 15 but the board decided to go another way in an announcement made on Wednesday.
The PCB have opted against renewing the contract of Arthur or that of his support staff comprising of bowling coach Azhar Mahmood, batting coach Grant Flower and trainer Grant Luden
“I am extremely disappointed and hurt,” the South African told AFP following the PCB’s announcement.
“I did my wholehearted effort to lift Pakistan cricket,” he added.
Arthur took over the Pakistan hot seat in the summer of 2016 and oversaw the team’s historic triumph at the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy in England. Under Arthur’s tenure, Pakistan have established themselves as the top-ranked T20I outfit in the world but the side has struggled to generate the same success in the Test and ODI formats.
Arthur’s final assignment with Pakistan saw the Men in Green narrowly miss out on semi-final qualification in the 2019 ICC World Cup in England. They ultimately finished fifth in the 10-team tournament and lost out to New Zealand on net run-rate.
The former Australia head coach is reportedly one of the shortlisted candidates being considered to replace Trevor Bayliss in the England coaching job. Bayliss, who led England to their maiden World Cup title recently, is set to return to the Indian Premier League (IPL) after his current contract with England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) expires with the completion of the Ashes series.
With Arthur and his support staff now let go, the PCB is set to advertise for the vacant in the near future. The new coaching staff will be appointed after a four-member cricket committee which includes Wasim Akram and Misbah-ul-Haq has assessed the team’s performance in the 2019 World Cup.
Know more about Sport360 Application
Mickey Arthur is to leave his position as Pakistan head coach after it was announced his contract would not be renewed.
The 51-year has been in charge of Pakistan since 2016, having previously coached South Africa and Australia, leading the side to the 2017 Champions Trophy title as well as the number one ranked Test and Twenty20 international side.
Arthur is among the names that have been mentioned as a possible successor to departing England coach Trevor Bayliss.
His exit comes after the side failed to reach the semi-finals of the recent Cricket World Cup, with the Pakistan Cricket Board believing a “fresh approach” is needed.
Batting coach Grant Flower, bowling coach Azhar Mahmood and trainer Grant Luden are also leaving their roles.
PCB chairman Ehsan Mani said in a statement: “The unanimous recommendation of the Committee was that it was time for new leadership and a fresh approach. I am happy to accept their strong recommendations.
“On behalf of the PCB, I want to sincerely thank Mickey Arthur, Grant Flower, Grant Luden and Azhar Mahmood for their hard work and unwavering commitment during their tenures with the national men’s team. We wish them every success in their future endeavours.
“The PCB remains committed to its fans and followers and we will do our utmost to ensure that we make decisions that continue to move Pakistan cricket forward in all formats.”
Provided by Press Association Sport
Skipper Virat Kohli and Rishabh Pant cracked excellent half centuries as India thrashed West Indies by seven wickets in the third T20 at Guyana to complete a 3-0 series clean sweep.
Some terrific new-ball bowling from Deepak Chahar (3-4) earlier helped India restrict the hosts to 146-6 and they chased down the target with five balls to spare with Pant striking a unbeaten 65-run knock off just 42 deliveries.
Windies started woefully with the bat after Virat Kohli won the toss and elected to field first with Deepak Chahar wiping out the top-order in the powerplay.
The 26-year-old seamer reduced the hosts to 14-3 after getting the better of Sunil Narine, Evin Lewis and Shimron Hetmyer in a sensational opening spell.
A first T20I half-century from Kieron Pollard in more than seven years resurrected the West Indies innings with the all-rounder collecting 58 runs off just 45 deliveries before being castled by Navdeep Saini.
An explosive lower-order cameo from Rovman Powell (32) helped the hosts ultimately post 146-6 in their 20 overs.
In reply, India lost openers Shikhar Dhawan and KL Rahul early in the chase with the latter stumped off the bowling of Fabian Allen.
That was as good as it got for Windies with Kohli and Pant then stitching together a match-winning 106-run stand for the third wicket to set up another dominant win for the visitors.
Kohli brought up a 21st T20I fifty while Pant registered his half-century in just 37 balls as India made short work of West Indies’ total. Kohli ultimately perished for a 45-ball 59 but Pant remained unbeaten to help India complete the job.
Pant’s finishing skills
Rishabh Pant’s mode of dismissals in the first two T20s had left plenty to be desired. On Tuesday, the left-hander made amends for those dismissals with a mature display where he provided the perfect foil to his skipper.
With India in a precarious spot at 27-2 in the run chase, the pressure was very much on Pant to deliver at No4 after his previous failures. With Kohli for company at the other end, the southpaw was much more assured at the crease and he did not take any undue risk in the early half of his innings.
It was only when the duo had laid a solid foundation that Pant decided to up the ante and he found boundaries with ease.
The seamer was the chief architect with the ball in India’s win with his three early wickets setting West Indies back. His ability to generate some prodigious inswing to left-handers was marvelous to watch with both Shimron Hetmyer and Evin Lewis perishing to it.
His excellent figures of 3-4 from three overs ensured that Windies were never got going in the powerplay and their brief recovery later in the innings was too little, too late.
Pollard’s seven-year wait
The 58-run knock by Pollard on Tuesday was only the third T20I fifty registered by the Windies all-rounder in 61 appearances. It ended a long seven-year wait for Pollard who’s previous fifty in the format came all the way back in 2012 against New Zealand.
Kieron Pollard - 63* (29b), 5s, 5f vs NZ at Lauderhill on 30 Jun 2012— Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman) August 6, 2019
Since then: 31 inns, 514 runs, ave 20.56, S/r 113.97, HS 49* (twice). 24 sixes, 34 fours!
Today: 58 (45b), 6 sixes, 1 four#IndvWI #WIvInd