Australia coach Justin Langer - I am really curious about how Jofra Archer is going to go

Sport360 staff 12/08/2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Jofra Archer is in line for make his England Test debut.

Australia coach Justin Langer has revealed that his side plan on wearing down Jofra Archer in the second Ashes Test against England which gets underway at Lord’s on Wednesday.

While England pace spearhead James Anderson is sidelined with a calf injury, Archer is set to make his long-awaited Test debut at Lord’s after being named in the 12-man squad.

The Barbados-born pacer’s impact in international cricket has been instant ever since he became eligible to represent England earlier this year and he was one of the stars of the side’s maiden World Cup win with a total of 20 wickets over the course of the campaign.

Langer, however, feels that Test cricket will be a whole different ball-game for Archer who has already established himself as one of the most fearsome limited-overs’ bowler in the world.

“I’m really curious about how Archer is going to go,” Langer was quoted as saying by cricket.com.au.

“He’s a very skilled bowler and a great athlete, but Test cricket is very different to white-ball cricket.

“Like we’ve talked about a long time, we’ve got to keep wearing them (England’s bowlers) down and get him back into his second or third and fourth spells.”

Australia lead the Ashes series 1-0 after their 251-run win over the hosts in England and will be hoping to take another step towards retaining the urn when they take the field at Lord’s on Wednesday.

Having examined the Lord’s pitch from close quarters, Langer is wary that the surface for the second Test could be a dry one.

“The wicket is really interesting, it looks like it’s going to be a really flat wicket to me,” Langer said.

“It’s quite dry though. It’s not a surprise … the wicket is the last thing you look at when you come to Lord’s. Most grounds it’s the first thing to look at but here, there’s so much else to admire and love about being here.

“But whether it’s a green-top or a dry wicket, we have really good options and that’s nice as a coach and selector. One thing we have got is the luxury of six fast bowlers, they’re all high-class bowlers and we’ll work out what’s going to be best for this Test match, and best for the whole series.”

Recommended

Most popular

Virat Kohli and Sunil Gavaskar hail 'brilliant' Shreyas Iyer after his solid middle-order display

Sudhir Gupta 12/08/2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Shreyas Iyer scored a fine 71 for India in the second ODI vs Windies.

Former India skipper Sunil Gavaskar believes that Shreyas Iyer should be batting at the No4 spot for the Men in Blue rather than Rishabh Pant and has called for the right-hander to be made a permanent fixture in the middle-order.

Iyer scored a vital 68-ball 71 for India while batting at No5 in the second ODI against West Indies on Sunday after Pant was dismissed for a 35-ball 20 after coming in at number four.

It was Iyer’s first ODI knock for India in more than 18 months and the 24-year-old grabbed his chance with both hands by forging a match-winning 125-run stand with skipper Virat Kohli.

“In my view, Rishabh Pant is much better like an MS Dhoni at 5 for 6 as a finisher because that’s where his natural game and natural flair will come into play,” Gavaskar told broadcaster Sony Sports.

“If India get to a great start with Virat Kohli, Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma batting for 40-45 overs, then Pant at No. 4. But if it’s a question of batting for 30-35 overs, then I think it should be Shreyas Iyer at No. 4 and Pant at No. 5,” the India legend added.

Pant’s mature display in India’s 59-run win over the Windies came in for some special praise from Kohli after the game.

“Brilliant,” the India skipper replied when asked to give his verdict on Iyer’s display.

“Stepping in, not having played many games in the past, but I think he’s a very confident guy, he’s got the right attitude, and his body language was brilliant.

“Beautiful hands on the ball, and really kept the tempo going, took a lot of pressure off me, so I could play myself into a tempo like I like doing, and after I got out he got those extra runs for us as well. Really good start for him, hopefully he gets another one.”

India’s struggles in the middle-order batting positions have been a longstanding issue with No4 spot in particular being a sticking point. Kohli and the team management will now hope that Iyer can continue to build on the promise he has shown and cement a spot in India’s middle-order.

Most popular

Former India coach Gary Kirsten to take charge of Cardiff-based outfit for The Hundred

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Former South Africa stalwart Gary Kirsten.

Former India and South Africa coach Gary Kirsten will take charge of the men’s Cardiff-based side for the inaugural edition of The Hundred next year.

Kirsten, whose international career as a batsman comprised of 101 Tests and 185 one-day internationals for the Proteas, oversaw India’s 2011 World Cup win while he led them and South Africa to the top of the Test rankings.

The 51-year-old has been at the helm of franchises in the Indian Premier League and Australia’s Big Bash League while he will combine his role in the Welsh capital with coaching Twenty20 outfit Durban Heat.

Australia Women’s coach Matthew Mott will take the reins of the women’s franchise, the England and Wales Cricket Board announced.

Kirsten said: “To be involved in English and Welsh cricket from a coaching perspective is something that I have never done. It’s great to be given that opportunity and to come to Cardiff.

“This is a new format that I am sure will grow and grow. The real win is that it will grab the attention of families and expose the game of cricket to as many environments and communities as possible.”

Before his appointment at Durban came to light, Kirsten’s vast experience had seen him touted as a contender to replace outgoing England coach Trevor Bayliss.

Kirsten is the fourth men’s head coach to be unveiled for England’s new domestic eight-team competition – and the first non-Australian, with Simon Katich taking over in Manchester, Andrew McDonald in Birmingham and Shane Warne at Lord’s.

Mott, meanwhile, will continue in his position with Australia, who he guided to World Twenty20 glory last year, while they recently retained the Ashes under his supervision.

Mott, who spent three seasons as Glamorgan coach, leading them to the 2013 Yorkshire Bank 40 final, said: “Cardiff is a special place for me and my family and that was a big part in my decision to return.

“I’ve got no doubt The Hundred will be a success for the women’s game. The Hundred will provide that sort of platform in England and Wales and I can’t speak highly enough of what that can mean for the game.”

Provided by Press Association Sports

Most popular