England director of cricket Andrew Strauss said Tuesday that Kevin Pietersen was “not part of our plans for the summer”, saying there was a “massive trust issue” between the England and Wales Cricket Board and the controversial batsman.
– PAKvIND: Test series between rivals in UAE close to reality
– England: Strauss to make decision on new England coach
– IPL: Twitter reacts to narrow Sunrisers win over Kings XI
– FOLLOW: Live cricket scores from around the world
However, Strauss stopped short of saying there was no way back into the international set-up for fellow former England captain Pietersen, adding: “He is not banned from the side but I can give him no guarantees for the future.”
Pietersen, 34, England’s leading all-time run-scorer across all formats, was sent into international exile last year following the team’s 5-0 Ashes thrashing in Australia.
But the South Africa-born batsman was given hope of an international recall when new ECB chairman Colin Graves sais there could be a way back if he score enough runs in county cricket.
Yet just hours after he made his maiden first-class triple century for Surrey on Monday, Pietersen was told there was no prospect of him being selected by England in the immediate future.
— Anurag Kotoky (@anuragkotoky) May 12, 2015
As England captain, Strauss infamously had his own issues of “trust” with Pietersen in 2012 when the star batsman sent “provocative” texts critical of his skipper to opposition South Africa players.
It was a theme the former opening batsman returned to on Tuesday when, in his first press conference since being appointed to the director role after the ECB sacked former managing director Paul Downton, Strauss told Sky Sports: “I think the first thing to say is that now is the time for honest conversation about Kevin Pietersen.
“No one is doubting his ability. His record stacks up and he should be proud of that,” added Strauss, with Pietersen’s tally of 23 Test hundreds just shy of the England record of 26 held by current captain Alastair Cook.
“But over months and years the trust has eroded between him and the ECB and there is a massive trust issue between Kevin and me.
“I wish that wasn’t the case. I’m not apportioning blame — it’s just a fact.
“That is the reality – and because of that, we’ve decided it is not in the best short-term interests of the side for him to be in it.
“I went to see him last night to let him know he’s not part of our plans for the summer,” added Strauss as he ruled Pietersen out of the upcoming two-Test series against New Zealand, which starts next week, or the ensuing Ashes campaign as well as England’s home limited overs internationals in 2015.
“Trust is imperative in any team environment. My job is to look to the future of English cricket and develop a side capable of winning tournaments over the next four years.
“He (Pietersen) is not barred from playing for England but he is not part of our plans for this summer.”
Meanwhile Strauss confirmed his support for former opening partner Cook to continue as Test captain, with rising star Joe Root to become his vice-captain, while Eoin Morgan would continue as one-day skipper.
He added that former Australia fast bowler Jason Gillespie was “one of the candidates” to replace the sacked Peter Moores as England coach.
Strauss insisted his would not be a “tracksuit” role but said he had still to decide if he would be a selector.
As Strauss was speaking, on the other side of London, Pietersen, 326 not out overnight, took his score to an unbeaten 355 before last man Matt Dunn was dismissed in a Surrey total of 557 against Leicestershire in a Second Division County Championship match at The Oval.
Know more about Sport360 Application