Carlos Tevez, Juan Veron and Dirk Kuyt have been named by hackers Fancy Bears as three of the players permitted to use otherwise-banned medicines during the 2010 World Cup.
Tevez and Veron are two of five Argentinian players listed in a document which details therapeutic use exemptions (TUEs) and declarations of use of medicines for 25 players during the tournament in South Africa more than seven years ago.
The Fancy Bears have previously published details of TUEs – essentially a doctor’s note permitting the use of an otherwise-banned substance to treat a medical condition – in Olympic sports.
And Tuesday’s publication of hacked data was the Fancy Bears’ first disclosure in football.
Tevez, who has played for Manchester United, Manchester City and West Ham, former Chelsea and United playmaker Veron and ex-United defender Gabriel Heinze all declared the use of Betamethasone, a corticosteroid with a variety of uses.
It does not feature directly on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited list, but is banned dependent on the concentration detected, and is covered in section nine of the list. That reads: “All glucocorticoids are prohibited when administered by oral, intravenous, intramuscular or rectal routes.”
Former Liverpool and Holland forward Kuyt was revealed to have used dexamethasone, apparently for pain relief due to dentistry issue with his root canal.
Mario Gomez was one of four Germany players listed. Gomez received a TUE for salbutamol, a common asthma medication.
Ex-New Zealand, Blackburn and QPR defender Ryan Nelsen – listed as ‘Nelson’ on the published form – declared the use of prednisone, another corticosteroid.
No England players were listed and there is no suggestion of wrongdoing on the part of those named.
The Russian hackers also claimed there were 160 adverse analytical findings – or positive doping tests – in 2015 in football. Of the four UK failures, three were for cocaine and one for ecstasy.
Fancy Bears first hacked WADA files in September last year.
Five-time Olympic champion and 2012 Tour de France winner Sir Bradley Wiggins was forced to defend himself following the publication of his medical records, which revealed three TUEs for triamcinolone ahead of three of his biggest races in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Wiggins insisted the use of the corticosteroid was medically necessary due to a pollen allergy which aggravated his asthma.
The latest hack includes an email from the Football Association’s head of integrity, Jenni Kennedy, to FIFA regarding four anti-doping cases in May 2017.
One shows Middlesbrough’s George Friend received triamcinolone through a “legitimate method”, with UK Anti-Doping determining no anti-doping rule violation had occurred.
Zesh Rehman, then of Gillingham, received a retrospective TUE for prednisolone following a League One match with Southend in February. It was prescribed due to urticaria, or hives, which is a bumpy and uncomfortable rash.
Two cases are ongoing involving a pair of non-league players, who it is said tested positive for the anabolic steroid oxandrolone in out of competition tests.
Barcelona have ruled out signing Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho and will now focus their efforts on Paris Saint-Germain winger Angel Di Maria, according to Marca.
Liverpool have rejected three bids for the Brazilian, the latest an £118million offer which followed two of £72million and then £90million.
With nine days left of the transfer window, Barca are left with little time to bring in a replacement for Neymar who joined PSG in a €222million deal.
The report in Spain says they will capitalise on the Ligue 1 giants need to balance their books with the acquisition of Neymar alongside their ongoing bid for Monaco star Kylian Mbappe leading to potential Financial Fair Play issues.
The Catalan club are also still pursuing moves for Borussia Dortmund star Ousmane Dembele and Nice’s Ivorian midfielder Jean Michael Seri.
Catalan-based daily sports title Mundo Deportivo earlier today reported those deals were progressing but the La Liga giants are clearly keeping their options open with negotiations for all their targets far from smooth.
Barcelona’s transfer woes have taken a new turn after France’s sports daily L’Equipe reported the price tag of Nice star Jean-Michel Seri has risen substantially.
Indeed, the Catalan club had hoped to tie up a €40million deal by activating his release clause.
Personal terms are believed to have been agreed with the Ivorian but the reports in France claim the release clause expired in the middle of July.
Barca are now negotiating with the Ligue 1 side who are willing to discuss a deal but will ask for a much higher fee to complete the move.
And an in another setback Nice general manager Julien Fournier has claimed Seri won’t leave this summer.
“We haven’t negotiated with Barca nor do I know of any negotiations lined up in the next few days. They’re just rumours, so we haven’t set a price for Seri,” Fournier told Sport.
“I think the player will stay with us this season. It’s true that he is open to listening to offers but he’s also happy at Nice whether we qualify for the group stages of the Champions League or not.”