Beleaguered Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho was hit with a misconduct charge from the Football Association on Monday following his half-time rant in the Premier League champions’ shock 2-1 defeat against West Ham.
Mourinho is already appealing against a £50,000 fine and suspended one-match stadium ban for comments made about officials following Chelsea’s home loss against Southampton earlier this month.
– RATE, SHAE & WIN: ValoraFutbol Fan Ratings
He faces further charges after being sent to the stands by Jonathan Moss for letting rip at the referee when he went to see him in the officials’ changing room during the interval at Upton Park on Saturday.
“Jose Mourinho has been charged with misconduct in relation to his language and/or behaviour towards the match officials in or around the dressing room area at half-time,” an FA statement confirmed.
Silvino Louro, one of Mourinho’s assistants, had already been sent off earlier in the London derby following his protests after Nemanja Matic was sent off for two bookable offences and he has also been charged with misconduct.
Mourinho was infuriated both by the Matic dismissal and the decision ruling Cesc Fabregas offside when the Chelsea midfielder finished off a Willian pass for what would have been the equaliser.
After suffering the indignity of having to sit among celebrating West Ham fans as Andy Carroll headed the late winner, he then
ignored Premier League regulations by refusing to speak to the media after the match and is likely to face a another fine as a result.
Mourinho’s suspended stadium ban relates to any future critical comments he makes to the media however, so his latest antics won’t trigger that punishment.
Both Chelsea and West Ham have also been charged for failing to control their players in the aftermath of the challenge which led to Matic’s dismissal.
Chelsea are already facing a £25,000 fine for receiving more than five bookings in the loss.
Mourinho’s outburst at Moss was a further sign he is struggling to cope as the pressure mounts following Chelsea’s miserable run.
The Blues are languishing in 15th place, nine points adrift of the top four, after their fifth league defeat of the season.
They travel to Stoke in the League Cup fourth round tonight and a loss for the holders at the Britannia Stadium would increase speculation that Mourinho’s spell in charge of Chelsea is about to end in the sack.
Stoke boss Mark Hughes, a former Chelsea striker, disagrees with Mourinho’s critics and believes the Portuguese coach will eventually get his team back on track.
“It’s a period he has the knowledge and understanding to address, and he’ll turn it around,” he said.
It looks like a golf course, plays like a golf course, but the object here is entirely different. As is the equipment.
At the second European Footgolf championships, at Palomarejos Golf Club, just outside Madrid, it's man vs football, and the undulations of the landscape.
To putt, most players tend to poke the ball towards the hole with toe-end of their boots. The sport is growing, several countries have a national association.
Franz Beckenbauer has accepted responsibility for the German Football Association’s “mistake” in making a payment of 6.7million euros to FIFA, but denied that the money was used to buy votes to secure the 2006 World Cup.
Germany’s Spiegel magazine earlier this month unveiled details of the payment to the world governing body in 2005 which it claims was in return for votes to be awarded the right five years earlier to stage the tournament.
Beckenbauer was head of the bid committee, and later the tournament’s organisation committee, and the finger has been pointed at Bayern Munich’s honorary president.
The 70-year-old has avoided the spotlight in recent days, but broke his silence on Monday regarding the alleged slush fund.
“I, as the president of the organisation committee at the time, carry the responsibility for this mistake,” Beckenbauer said on Monday evening in a statement published by the Bild newspaper.
“In order to obtain financial support from FIFA, a suggestion by FIFA’s finance commission was followed which, in hindsight, should have been rejected.
“No votes were bought in order to win the right to stage the 2006 World Cup.”
German Football Association (DFB) president Wolfgang Niersbach, who is accused of knowing about the fund and the payments, also admitted he had made mistakes, saying it was “without a doubt an oversight on my part not to have informed my colleagues on the board early enough”.
BREAKING: Franz Beckenbauer describes £4.8m payment from German FA to FIFA as mistake but rejects claims it was used to buy World Cup votes.
— Sky Sports News HQ (@SkySportsNewsHQ) October 26, 2015
He added: “I’ve got to take responsibility for that.”
The DFB has confirmed the payment to FIFA was made, but insisted its purpose was not to secure votes in the bidding process. It has launched an internal investigation.
Earlier on Monday, DFB vice-president Peter Freymuth said he does not see any reason why Niersbach should step down.
“There was and there is no call for him to resign,” Freymuth told the Rheinische Post newspaper. “Nobody at the DFB is looking for a successor to him either.
“It certainly isn’t a good time for the association, but we as a team are insisting on this being cleared up transparently and Wolfgang Niersbach, as president, is part of that.”