Al Ahli boss Cosmin Olaroiu is putting any thoughts about his future on the back-burner as he attempts to secure an Arabian Gulf League and President’s Cup double.
Olaroiu, 46, stunned UAE football last month as he followed confirmation the club had regained their top-flight crown by hinting he was set for a summer exit.
Comments followed about a lack of support from sections of the board, a view backed up by chairman Abdullah Al Naboodah’s revelation after Sunday’s trophy presentation that he knew who “he’s talking about”.
Speaking prior to Friday’s quarter-final against relegated Al Shaab at Sharjah Stadium, the Romanian supremo aimed to park the speculation.
He said: “My contract has two more years. For sure, I have to respect my contract. “But I don’t think about these things at this moment. I don’t think it matters, as we now think only about the President’s Cup.
“After, we will see what happen. Now the important thing for everyone to concentrate on is the President’s Cup.”
The competition has recently provided pain for Ahli. Since 2013’s record-equalling eighth capture, they have lost the last two finals.
The Red Knights appear to have been handed the perfect route to another entry into the last-four.
Shaab were beaten 5-0 on Sunday during the last day of league action, this result seeing their opponents finish on seven points – the lowest tally in the professional era.
“We played Al Shaab only a few days ago and we have to forget this game,” Olaroiu warned. “It will be a different motivation for our side.”
Essa Santo, 29, returned to action for Ahli during the weekend after a year-long absence with a knee injury. The UAE defender vowed to give his best in the remaining weeks of the season.
He said: “Thank God that I came back. For now, I will try to get back in even-better shape and I am ready if the coach calls me.”
Know more about Sport360 Application