Al Shabab sign Dutch striker Ruud Boymans from Utrecht

Matt Jones 25/06/2016
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Going Dutch: Boymans (l) at Shabab.

The 27-year-old is fellow Dutchman Rutten’s maiden signing after the former PSV, Feyenoord and FC Twente boss replaced Brazilian Caio Junior at the end of the Arabian Gulf League season.

Boymans agreed a three-year deal with the Hawks earlier this month, but was pictured on Twitter Friday putting pen to paper with the side that finished fifth in the AGL last season.

A statement on the official Utrecht website on Friday confirmed the move.

Technical manager Erik ten Hag said: “With the departure of Ruud we lose scoring ability. Besides a guarantee of goals, we are going to miss the energy he tapped into our team and the constant threat to the opponent. Nevertheless, we have contributed to his desire to take this opportunity.

“We thank Ruud for his efforts and wish him every success and enjoyment to at his new club.”

It is hoped the marksman will add much-needed firepower to a Hawks side that suffered a chronic lack of goals last season. Despite finishing fifth, Shabab netted just 34 times in 26 AGL games. Only relegated Al Shaab (22), Sharjah and Dibba Al Fujairah (both 32) scored less goals than Shabab.

Bar an injury-disrupted two seasons at Utrecht, Boymans has proved largely lethal during the last three years. At previous club AZ Alkmaar he netted three goals in seven appearances on loan at NEC in the 2013/14 season before adding an eye-catching 27 goals in 36 appearances for Willem II during the same campaign.

A switch to Utrecht yielded 19 goals in 24 league matches in the last two campaigns with Boymans only fit to start just 15 times in the Eredivise during that period. Boymans could also be joined at Shabab by another Utrecht player, Nacer Barazite, with reports suggesting he is also in talks with the club.

Most popular

Pro League committee sets up email to receive feedback

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Feedback wanted: UAE football fans.

As part of its commitment to serving the footballing community and its supporters, the Pro League Committee is welcoming fans’ ideas for improvement by establishing a designated email address to encourage the submission of new initiatives from members of the public.

The [email protected] (‘twasel’ meaning ‘contact us/reach out to us’ in Emirati Arabic) email address has been set up in order for fans to be able to submit their proposals with the aim of developing the Arabian Gulf League, fostering a spirit of togetherness in working to continue improving what the League has to offer.

The Executive Office of the Pro League Committee decided on the new scheme at its first meeting on June 10, assigning the task of overseeing the ideas submissions to executive office member Mohammed Ahmed Al Hammadi, who will review all submitted proposals received via the email address and recommend the best for adoption by the Pro League Committee.

“Through this initiative we aim to involve the public in assisting to develop our League by sharing their ideas with us from their unique perspective as fans,” Al Hammadi said.

“Supporters are an integral part of football and we must work together in order to best serve them.

“All proposals received via the designated email address will be taken into consideration and reviewed thoroughly.”

As part of the scheme, the creator of the chosen proposal will be invited to join the PLC and work as project manager on the implementation of his or her successful idea.

Most popular

Australian star Holman set to end three-season AGL spell

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Brett Holmman playing for Emirates Club against Fujairah.

Holman, 32, is currently a free agent after his one-year deal at Emirates Club expired at the end of 2015/16. The 63-times-capped Socceroo is yet to receive any further offers to continue a stint in the UAE, which began at Al Nasr in June 2013.

Brisbane Roar are leading the hunt to bring him back to the A-League after 14 years playing abroad, with further overtures coming from Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory. A return to play in the Eredivisie at AZ Alkmaar – the side he won the title with in 2008/09 – is one strong option in that competition, while Qatar Stars League outfit Umm Salal considered him prior to bringing in Jordan forward Tha’er Bawab.

He also turned down several offers from the Chinese Super League last summer prior to his move to the Falcons and that interest could be rekindled.

Speaking to SBS during a vacation in Spain, Holman was not unduly panicked about where his future lies.

He said: “There’s been interest from certain clubs in the A-League and also Holland, but nothing concrete has been decided. It could be a few days or it could be a few weeks.

“Either way, I am pretty confident something will happen soon.

“It’s just a matter of enjoying my holiday and leaving it all with my agent Paddy Dominguez.

“I’ve already experienced Europe so it could be the ideal time to head back home. I wouldn’t say Sydney is necessarily my preferred choice in Australia just because it’s my hometown.

“I also haven’t closed the door on going back to the Middle East. I am in a good position and there’s a lot of interest, so I am confident that something will be settled soon.”

Holman cut a frustrated figure at Emirates last season, repeat injuries restricting him to just 24 appearances in all competitions during which he scored five times.

Meanwhile, Sharjah have attempted to put the brakes on speculation star striker Wanderley is set for a transfer to Al Nasr.

Wanderley, 27, has been linked to the AFC Champions League quarter-finalists after another stellar season in which he scored 26 goals in 34 appearances for the relegation battlers.

“It is not true that Wanderley has been transferred to another club,” the King tweeted. “Any announcement about whether he is transferred or continues will be made through the club.”

Reports in Saudi Arabia have also stated Al Jazira have failed with a loan move for Al Hilal striker Ailton.

Most popular