Barcelona are set to announce Arthur as their first signing of the summer, after the Gremio midfielder announced he will join the club this month.
The Spanish giants had earlier agreed for the transfer to take place in January, although Andres Iniesta‘s departure has opened up a space in midfield.
The clubs had agreed upon a €30 million fee with an additional €9m potentially due in add-ons earlier, but now Barca have had to pay an additional fee so as to make the switch happen six months early.
In a press conference on Friday, Arthur said, “Barcelona have asked to bring my arrival forward to this summer.
“I did not participate in the negotiations, nor did I participate directly in my transfer – it has been a matter between the two clubs.
— Grêmio FBPA (@Gremio) July 6, 2018
“I will probably travel to Barcelona this weekend. There are still details [to be finalised] but I’m very happy to be able to wear the shirt of the club I have always dreamed of playing for, the biggest club in the world.
“I have been told wonderful things about the club, the city and the fans. I have high expectations about the move.”
Arthur will join Brazilian countrymen Philippe Coutinho and Paulinho at the Camp Nou, although there have been rumours of an offer for the latter from China.
The 21-year-old was emotional at the time of announcing his decision and said he will be back to Gremio one day.
“I have spent seven years fighting for Gremio and the Arena Gremio is one of the places where I most like to be,” he added. “I am eternally grateful to everyone at Gremio.
“This is a see you later rather than a goodbye. I hope to come back one day. I’m very proud to leave the club through the front door.”
Know more about Sport360 Application