Barcelona reach an agreement to sign left-back Junior Firpo from Real Betis

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Junior Firpo

Barcelona look to have secured their fourth signing of the summer transfer window as left-back Junior Firpo has agreed a move from Real Betis, according to Fabrizio Romano.

Reports in Spain yesterday suggested a €25 million switch had been struck and the Dominican is reportedly set to sign a five-year contract.

Ernesto Valverde was keen to bolster his options at the back and now has eight legitimate options to fill his four roles.

Junior has emerged as one of the most exciting full-backs over the last two seasons and will provide legitimate competition to Jordi Alba.

On the opposite flank, Valverde has Nelson Semedo and the newly-promoted Moussa Wague to call upon while Gerard Pique and Clement Lenglet are expected to partner at centre-back with Jean-Clair Todibo and Samuel Umtiti providing cover.

Most popular

Manchester City target €100m-rated Barcelona star but are told he won't be sold

David Cooper 30/07/2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Nelson Semedo

Manchester City’s search for a new right-back has apparently taken Pep Guardiola to his former side Barcelona with Nelson Semedo a reported target, according to Sport.

City are looking for viable competition at right-back with Danilo expected to leave and Kyle Walker’s indifferent form last season placing them in the market.

Juventus star Joao Cancelo was largely viewed as the priority but a switch has quietened down in recent weeks, forcing City to look at options elsewhere.

Semedo, though, is set to become Ernesto Valverde’s first-choice at right-back having shared the role with Sergi Roberto.

And that has meant the club are unwilling to sell the Portugal international and their response to City’s inquiry, according Sport’s report, is to point out his €100 million release clause.

Further to that, they also believe Barcelona will offer Semedo a new deal with his current contract running out in 2022.

Most popular

Frenkie de Jong admits he is already feeling settled at Barcelona

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Frenkie de Jong says he is already feeling settled in Barcelona and has been made very welcome by everyone at the club.

On Saturday, De Jong was involved in Barcelona’s 2-0 win over Japanese side Vissel Kobe, now home to Barcelona great Andreas Iniesta.

De Jong could make his Nou Camp debut in a pre-season friendly against Arsenal on August 4 before the La Liga season-opener against Athletic Bilbao on August 17.

The Dutchman has joined established names such as Sergio Busquets and Ivan Rakitic, winners of 12 La Liga titles between them, at the heart of coach Ernesto Valverde’s midfield.

And De Jong said the pair had helped him settle in and he looked forward to learning from them.

“Everyone is helping me a lot, from the players to the staff, to the club,” said De Jong.

“Of course, I have watched a lot of matches of Barcelona over the past years, so I know they are amazing players.

“I have been looking up to them and they are a bit of an example to me.”

Most popular