Former England and Chelsea defender John Terry has turned down a move to Spartak Moscow after deciding it was not right for his family.
The 37-year-old is understood to have a medical in Rome ahead of a proposed deal with the Russian club, chronicling it on his Instagram story, but has since had a change of heart.
Terry has been without a club since leaving Aston Villa at the end of last season.
Again taking to Instagram, Terry said: “After considerable thought, I have decided to decline a contract offer from Spartak Moscow.
“I would like to take the opportunity to thank Spartak and wish them and their supporters well for the rest of the season.
“They are an ambitious club and I have been very impressed with their professionalism.
“But after assessing this move with my family, we’ve decided this is not the right move for ourselves at this time.
“Good Luck Spartak.”
Terry left Villa after they lost the Championship play-off final to Fulham at the end of May and has been on the look-out for a new club, keeping himself fit over the summer.
He has received several offers and has been linked with a return to Villa Park, with Steve Bruce still looking for an experienced central defender.
The former Three Lions captain can still sign for any club despite the transfer window being shut as he is a free agent.
Nacho Monreal says he has begun talks with Arsenal about extending his contract.
The defender is in the final year of his existing deal with Unai Emery‘s Gunners. Spain international Monreal has made 165 Premier League appearances since moving to the Emirates from Malaga in 2013.
“At the moment we are talking with the club. I’ve always said I am really happy, I feel very happy playing for Arsenal,” he said, according to the London Evening Standard.
“I came six years ago. I have a good relationship with them. We are in contact in any moment so don’t worry about that. I am happy here. That is the most important thing.”
Monreal, who has scored once in three appearances this season, turns 33 in February, but says he is not considering hanging up his boots.
“My idea is to play in football until my body says, ‘Nacho, so sorry but that’s the end’. But I think it is far (away),” he added.
“I hope so. You never know because your body, sometimes you start with some problems, some injuries and you can’t continue giving 100 per cent. But at the moment I feel good so I am not thinking of my retirement.”
The 31-year-old Frenchman, who captains the north London side, admitted a charge of drink driving at Westminster magistrates Court on Wednesday.
He was fined £50,000 and banned from driving for 20 months.
Lloris was driving his 2018-plate Porsche Panamera along Gloucester Place, Marylebone, on August 24 when he was pulled over during a routine stop by police.
The court heard Lloris provided a sample containing 80 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath – the legal limit in England and Wales is 35 microgrammes.
Prosecutor Henry Fitch said police in an unmarked car spotted Lloris’ vehicle driving at 15mph in a 30mph zone.
He also veered his car “towards parked vehicles” before correcting himself.
When police stopped the vehicle, they discovered vomit and said Lloris had to be helped from the car.
Defending, David Sonn said Lloris’ “spectacular fall from grace was not lost” on the goalkeeper.
The court heard the goalkeeper had been dining in a restaurant and was showered with drinks from fellow diners.
Lloris, wearing a dark suit and no tie, was flanked by two members of his entourage as he made his way from his vehicle into the court, confronted by dozens of photographers and video journalists.
Lloris, of East Finchley, north London, signed for Spurs from Lyon in 2012, making 209 appearances in the Premier League and keeping 75 clean sheets.
He has also won more than 100 international caps and lifted the World Cup during the summer, after France beat Croatia 4-2 in the final.
He did not make the squad for Spurs’ last league match, a 2-1 defeat at Watford, on September 2.