Pep Guardiola happy with defensive options at Man City amid Harry Maguire links

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Pep Guardiola claims it is not vital Manchester City sign a new centre-back before the start of their latest Premier League title defence.

The back-to-back champions have a central defender less following the departure of Vincent Kompany at the end of last season.

City have been linked with Leicester’s Harry Maguire but, even if a new face does not arrive, Guardiola feels he is well covered in the position with Aymeric Laporte, John Stones and Nicolas Otamendi.

The City boss said: “We are so happy with the squad we have. I don’t know if the players here will stay or new players will come, but I am delighted with the players we have.

“Maybe (we will buy) but we have three incredible central defenders and Fernandinho can play in that position. We will see.”

One player continually linked with a move away from City is winger Leroy Sane, with Bayern Munich making public their interest in the player.

Guardiola, a former Bayern manager, said: “For a long time they are talking about (it) but Leroy is our player. Hopefully he can stay here and the next season, and the next season.”

Guardiola was speaking at a press conference in China where City are involved in the Premier League Asia Trophy. They face Wolves in the final in Shanghai on Saturday after beating West Ham in Nanjing on Wednesday.

It has been a difficult trip for City so far after their flight from the UK was twice delayed due to an administrative problem. Consequently they had little time to acclimatise or overcome jetlag before facing the Hammers after they arrived on Tuesday.

Guardiola was asked bluntly if he was happy to be in China. He replied equally firmly with “yes” but was cryptic when asked how seriously he was taking the tour.

Most popular

Mauricio Pochettino makes Tottenham revelation about Champions League

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Pochettino masterminded a stunning turnaround.

Mauricio Pochettino admits he would probably have quit Tottenham had they won the Champions League.

The Argentinian has been in the hot-seat since 2014 and led the club to their first Champions League final in the summer.

Spurs lost 2-0 to Liverpool in June’s Madrid showpiece – an outcome that seemingly prevented Pochettino moving on to pastures new.

“It was an amazing period,” he said. “After five years in a difficult project at Tottenham we talk a lot about perception and reality, how we fight and all the energy we expend trying to get Tottenham fighting with the best teams in Europe and England.

“Of course it’s always in your head, you never know. With the way I am, I am always going to prioritise the club over myself.”

Copy provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular

Watch Christian Pulisic insist he's not Chelsea's new Eden Hazard

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Christian Pulisic said on Thursday that he does not want to compare himself to former Chelsea star Eden Hazard.

The United States international signed a deal with the club in January and has joined up with the team in the summer from Borussia Dortmund.

Meanwhile, Hazard has earned a move to Real Madrid and Pulisic has already been tasked with filling the void left by the outstanding Belgian given his position.

“Obviously he was an unbelievable player for Chelsea. I’m not trying to compare myself to him,” Pulisic said.


“I’m going in as my own player and I’m going to give my best,” he added.









Most popular