WATCH as Gareth Southgate can't believe that England did not beat Croatia in Rijeka

Alex Broun 13/10/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

England manager Gareth Southgate could not believe that his team did not beat Croatia in the replay of the 2018 World Cup semi-final, played behind closed doors in Rijeka on Friday night.

Spurs stars Eric Dier and Harry Kane both hit the woodwork either side of half-time in the Nations League Group A4 match, while Ross Barkley saw a penalty appeal rejected and Marcus Rashford wasted two great chances as the match ended 0-0.

Speaking after the match Southgate could not quite believe his side had not won. See what he had to say below.

Recommended

Most popular

Related Sections

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry named new Monaco manager

Sport360 staff 13/10/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Thierry Henry has been named as the new head coach at Monaco.

The former Arsenal and France forward replaces Leonardo Jardim, who was sacked by the Ligue 1 side on Thursday.

Henry started his career at Monaco, and has been working as assistant to Belgium boss Roberto Martinez.

Henry has signed a deal until June 2021 and said on Monaco’s website: “I am very happy to come back to Monaco and extremely determined to meet the challenges ahead.”

Jardim had led Monaco to the French title in 2017.

However, last year’s Ligue 1 runners-up have struggled this season, sitting 18th and with only one win in all competitions.

Henry will make his first steps into management, after a reported switch to Bordeaux over the summer never materialised.

“I was fortunate to receive some very attractive offers over the last few months, but Monaco will always be close to my heart”, Henry wrote on Twitter.

“Having started my footballing career with this great club, it seems fate that I will now begin my managerial career here too.

“I’m incredibly excited to be given this opportunity, but now the hard work must begin. Can’t wait.”

Henry is set to officially take up his new role from Monday. He will be joined at the club by Valado Tralhao, the Under-23s coach at Benfica, and Patrick Kwame Ampadu, who had been working at the Arsenal Academy.

Monaco vice president and chief executive officer Vadim Vasilyev is confident the 41-year-old World Cup winner can make an impact in the dugout.

“His knowledge of football, his passion for the game, his high standards and his commitment to our colours make his nomination a reality,” Vasilyev said.

“Thierry is both aware of the task ahead and eager to start his new job. He can count on our trust and all our support to bring a new dynamic to the team and carry out its mission.”

Henry helped Monaco win the French title in 1997, before joining Italian club Juventus in January 1999.

The then winger was reunited with former boss Arsene Wenger when he moved to Arsenal some seven months later, going on to become an integral part of the Invincibles side and eventually the club-record goalscorer.

Henry joined Barcelona in 2007, winning the Champions League two years later, before a switch to America with the New York Red Bulls as well as a brief spell back at the Gunners.

The Frenchman had been initially doing some coaching with Arsenal while also taking on a lucrative pundit role with Sky Sports, which finished at the end of last season.

Henry was more recently part of the backroom staff in Belgium’s run to the semi-finals of the World Cup, where they finished third ahead of England.

Most popular

Cristiano Ronaldo in contention for third successive Ballon d'Or

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Cristiano Ronaldo is in contention to retain the Ballon d’Or for the third successive year after being named on the 30-man shortlist.

The 33-year-old forward, who ended his nine-season stay at Real Madrid by moving to Juventus for £99million in the summer, is a five-time winner of the award.

Ronaldo played a key role in Real’s Champions League triumph last season and scored a World Cup hat-trick for Portugal against Spain.

Nominees for the honour are being released gradually throughout Monday, with Manchester City pair Sergio Aguero and Kevin De Bruyne and Liverpool duo Alisson Becker and Roberto Firmino the current Premier League contenders.

Wales international Gareth Bale, scorer of a brace in Real’s European final win over Liverpool, is among the 10 names already released.

Bale’s club-mate Luka Modric, who is yet to be named as a candidate, is among the early favourites after Real’s European success against the Reds and leading Croatia to the World Cup final.

The honour, now separate from FIFA’s own Best player of the year award, is bestowed annually by France Football magazine.

Confirmed nominees: Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Gareth Bale (Real Madrid), Alisson Becker (Liverpool), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Edinson Cavani (Paris St Germain), Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City), Roberto Firmino (Liverpool), Diego Godin (Atletico Madrid).

Most popular