EPL: Chelsea stay on top as both Manchesters win

Sport360 staff 01:23 05/03/2015
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
All the top boys won their EPL matches.

Liverpool has continued its terrific run of form with a 2-0 victory over Burnley while Chelsea has maintained its position at the top of the English Premier League ladder by defeating West Ham.

– #Quiz360: Win Dhs250 to spend at Legends Sports Bar
– From Ronaldo to Shaw: Premier League’s most expensive teens

Liverpool saw off Burnley with goals from Jordan Henderson, his second in two games, and Daniel Sturridge. The Reds sit in fifth place, 12 points below Chelsea who remain in the lead of the competition after edging the Hammers.

The Blues backed up their Capital One Cup win on Sunday with a 1-0 defeat of West Ham, thanks to a first half Eden Hazard strike.

The Belgian winger got his head on a cross from Ramires to hand Jose Mourinho’s men the lead in the first half and continue his fine goal-scoring efforts away from home.

Hazard continued to shine in an exciting game after the break and hit the post after linking up brilliantly with Diego Costa, before Ramires’ header was brilliantly denied by goalkeeper Adrian’s feet and James Tomkins cleared the ball off the line in the final minute.

David Silva and James Milner struck late in each half as under-fire reigning champions Manchester City grabbed a scrappy but much-needed 2-0 win over Leicester.

Silva pounced from close range to put City ahead after an unconvincing start at the Etihad Stadium and Milner came off the bench to settle nerves in the last minute.

It was far from a fluent display from City but the result will at least take some of the heat off manager Manuel Pellegrini after a testing few days.

Manchester United struggled to break down Newcastle but took a 1-0 win from St James’ Park.

United had the better of the first half but Emmanuel Riviere could have had a penalty after tumbling after a challenge from Chris Smalling in the box and then watched a shot well saved by David De Gea.

After half-time, Tim Krul came to the rescue for Newcastle with a wonderful double save: first from Marouane Fellaini and then from Ashley Young’s rebound.

Jonas Gutierrez then returned to first-team action for the first time since October 2013, after recovering from testicular cancer, but was booked two minutes after arriving.

United looked like they might be headed for a draw, but Ashley Young popped up in the final minute to hand his side all three points.


Arsenal failed to get out of first gear but they beat QPR 2-1 thanks to goals from Olivier Giroud and Alexis Sanchez.

In a dull first half, the Gunners could not break through and new signing Gabriel was taken off injured, with Laurent Koscielny replacing him.

However, they came out better in the second and Sanchez’s fine run and pass found Kieran Gibbs who found Giroud to net his 13th goal of the season.

Sanchez then got himself on the scoresheet in the 69th minute but Charlie Austin got one back for the home side with a thunderous shot from outside the area with 10 minutes to go.

Bafetimbi Gomis collapsed just minutes into Swansea’s match at Tottenham as it ended 3-2 at White Hart Lane.

The France striker, a summer signing from Lyon, went to ground as the players made their way to restart after Nacer Chadli gave Spurs an early lead.

Gomis was attended to for four minutes and left the field a stretcher, by which point he was conscious and wearing an oxygen mask, with medical staff later revealing that he was “fine.”

The game restarted and Ki Sung-Yeung levelled the scores on 19 minutes, but after the break Spurs went ahead against through Ryan Mason and Andros Townsend struck a wonderful shot into the top corner to make it 3-1 before Gylfi Sigurdsson scored a consolation against his old club.

Hugo Lloris then pulled off a stunning last-gasp save to secure all three points.

Everton’s poor form continued as they lost 2-0 to Stoke to ramp up the pressure on boss Roberto Martinez.

A wonderful header from Victor Moses opened the scoring for Stoke in the 32nd minute and the Toffees were unable to get themselves back into the game.

Marko Arnautovic hit the post in the 84 minute and Mame Diouf buried the rebound to double the lead and leave Everton in real trouble of being dragged into the relegation battle.

Know more about Sport360 Application


Most popular

Related Sections