Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris is a big injury doubt for the start of the new Premier League season after suffering a fractured wrist, the Premier League club revealed.
The 28-year-old French international was injured in the period since the end of last season, but Tottenham didn’t disclose exactly how he sustained the problem.
Lloris, who joined the north London club from French team Lyon in 2012, made 35 Premier League appearances last term and was one of the star performers for Mauricio Pochettino’s side.
Lloris has been reported as a potential transfer target for Manchester United if the Old Trafford outfit sell their first choice keeper David de Gea to Real Madrid before the start of the season.
However, the Spurs shot stopper will not be able to complete any form of contact training until he’s given the all clear from medical staff, but will continue to work on his fitness.
“The club can confirm that Hugo Lloris has sustained a fractured wrist during the close-season period,” a statement on Tottenham’s website announced.
“The France goalkeeper will continue to work alongside the First Team squad to build up his fitness in a bid to be ready for the start of the season.
“Our medical team will continue to monitor his rehabilitation and progress during pre-season.”
Unfortunate, Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris has broken his wrist. #Spurs
— Brighty (@Mark__Bright) July 13, 2015
If Lloris is unable to recover in time for Tottenham’s opening Premier League fixture at Manchester United on August 8 then former Swansea keeper Michel Vorm would likely deputise for the Frenchman.
The news could even have implications for United manager Louis van Gaal, who is said to view Lloris as a potential contender to replace De Gea who is wanted by Madrid.
The injury may force the Dutch manager into re-evaluating his targets ahead of De Gea’s potential exit. There are fears Lloris could miss up to three months with the problem.
Manchester City will today seal the £49 million (Dh279m) capture of Raheem Sterling and then immediately launch a renewed bid for Wolfsburg’s Belgian midfielder Kevin De Bruyne.
Sterling is set for a medical at the Etihad Stadium today ahead of official confirmation of his move from Liverpool to the Etihad Stadium. And with a deal for the 20-yearold England international close to completion, City are now determined to press ahead with efforts to snap up De Bruyne, who could command a similar fee.
The Premier League giants have long been linked with a move for a player who scored 15 goals and weighed in with 25 assists in 45 games in all competitions last season.
Manuel Pellegrini’s men are reported to have already had one bid knocked back with Wolfsburg in no hurry to sell the £50m-rated 24-year-old. Meanwhile, Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers yesterday insisted he had no hard feelings towards Sterling after confirming he was on the brink of a move away from Anfield.
Speaking at a press conference in Bangkok where the Reds are on a pre-season tour, Rodgers said: “I spoke to Raheem at length again before I left yesterday, so there is no issue and no problem.
Contrary to probably the last week or so in terms of what was written, Raheem and I have always remained very strong in our relationship and have been right up until we left. “Two clubs have agreed a deal and subject to a medical he will move on. But at this moment in time the interest is with the players that are here.”
Liverpool rejected two initial City bids but once it became obvious they would increase their offer a third time, Sterling was dropped from the tour party.
And the expected confirmation of Sterling’s arrival at the Etihad Stadium this week will bring an end to a six-month saga which has been acrimonious in spite of Rodgers’ insistence that his personal relationship with the player remains intact.
Sterling angered club officials in February by rejecting what Rodgers described as “an incredible deal” – then engaged in an unsanctioned interview with the BBC two months later in which he confirmed he had turned the offer down.
The impasse deepened when Sterling’s agent, Aidy Ward, claimed the player would not sign even for “£900,000 a week”.
Angel Gomes, an attacking midfielder, has already been singled out as United's next star by the departing Nani and was playing with the u-17 side aged just 13.
Currently 14, he has already featured for the u-18 side, been proclaimed as one of the best young players in the country and has a playing style likened to the legendary Ronaldinho.
Amid all the summer speculation surrounding potential transfers, fees and questions regarding the ability of the club to still produce it's own talent, Gomes serves as a reminder of the quality of Manchester United's academy and despite being only 14, is definitely one to watch.
For more FFDTV videos visit their YouTube channel.