Barcelona's 2019 pre-season schedule in full as Catalans prepare to face Chelsea and Vissel Kobe

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Barcelona are set to begin their preparation for the 2019/20 season on July 23.

The La Liga champions spent last year competing in the International Champions’ Cup in America, and will now head to Asia to prepare for the new campaign.

Ernesto Valvere’s side will travel to Japan on July 23 where they will play one friendly against Chelsea in Saitama. Four days later, the Catalan giants will entertain Vissel Kobe – the club of former captain Andres Iniesta – at the Camp Nou.

There will be no Supercopa final against Valencia, the winners of the Copa del Rey, in August as the tournament structure has changed and will be played in January 2020.

More friendly fixtures are expected to be confirmed before the start of the La Liga season which gets underway on August 16.

FIXTURES

23 July: Barcelona vs Chelsea. Saitama Stadium, Saitama

27 July: Barcelona vs Vissel Kobe. Camp Nou

Most popular

Former Arsenal and Sevilla forward Jose Antonio Reyes dies in a car accident

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Jose Antonio Reyes, the ex-Arsenal and Spain forward, has died in a car crash at the age of 35, former club Sevilla have announced.

Reyes was part of Arsenal’s ‘invincibles’ squad that won the 2004 Premier League title without suffering defeat.

He also played for Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Benfica during his career, as well as winning 21 caps for Spain.

Sevilla said in a statement on Twitter: “We couldn’t be confirming worse news. Beloved Sevilla star Jose Antonio Reyes has died in a traffic collision. Rest in peace.”

Reyes started his career at local club Sevilla and returned to the Andalusian side in 2012, helping them to win three successive Europa League titles.

He left the club in 2016 and played for Espanyol, Cordoba and Chinese side Xinjiang Tianshan Leopard before returning to Spain to join Extremadura earlier this year.

The second division club said in a statement on their Twitter account: “With a broken heart Extremadura UD announce the death of their player Jose Antonio Reyes in a traffic accident.”

As well as lifting three Europa League titles with Sevilla, he was also part of the Atletico Madrid squad that won the competition in 2010 and 2012.

Atletico said in a tweet: “The Atletico de Madrid family is in mourning. Our former player Jose Antonio Reyes has passed away. You will forever be in our hearts. Rest in peace.”

Reyes spent four years at Atletico after joining the club in 2007. The previous season he had helped Real Madrid win LaLiga during a season-long loan from Arsenal.

Reyes also helped Arsenal win the FA Cup and Community Shield during his time at the club, as well as reaching the 2006 Champions League final.

The Gunners said in a statement: “Everyone at Arsenal is devastated by the shocking news that our former player Jose Antonio Reyes has died in a traffic collision in Spain.

“Our thoughts are with all his family, friends and team-mates.

“Jose, who was part of the Invincibles team, was a hugely popular figure at our club and will always hold a special place in our hearts.

“He represented the club on 110 occasions, scoring 23 times and made memorable contributions to our 49-game unbeaten run.”

Reyes’ former Arsenal team-mates Thierry Henry and Ray Parlour took to Twitter to express their condolences.

Henry tweeted: “I’m devastated to hear the sad news about Jose Antonio Reyes. Wonderful player, superb team mate and exceptional human being. I wish his family and friends continued strength and courage to get through this difficult time. #takenfartoosoon.”

Parlour added: “So Sad team mate of mine and great talent RIP Jose.”

Most popular

Sergio Ramos will not be allowed to leave Real Madrid for free

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Sergio Ramos

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has insisted it would be “impossible” to allow Sergio Ramos to leave the club for free.

Los Blancos skipper Ramos, 33, has informed Perez that he has received an attractive offer from a Chinese Super League club.

But China’s football authorities have placed a 100 per cent transfer tax on overseas players and if Ramos was to quit La Liga for the unnamed club he would have to leave for free.

Perez told Spanish radio station Onda Cero that he had spoken with Ramos about the offer.

“Sergio Ramos has not been in my house nor I in his, they came to see me at the office,” Perez said.

“They told me that they had a very good offer from China, but that the rules there do not allow to pay the transfer.

“I told Ramos that it was impossible for Real Madrid to let their captain go for free. I do not give it more importance.”

It has been reported that Ramos, who has been with Real since 2005, is determined to leave the club this summer following a fall-out with Perez over their Champions League exit to Ajax.

Provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular