Jose Mourinho "fully committed" to Manchester United, says agent Jorge Mendes

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Jose Mourinho‘s agent Jorge Mendes insists his client is “fully committed” to Manchester United and has no intention of leaving Old Trafford any time soon.

Given his side’s Premier League struggles, the Portuguese’s future and happiness has rarely been far from the spotlight in recent months.

Mourinho is the favourite to be the next top-flight manager to leave their post and woke up to a report on Friday that Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has been targeted to replace him next summer.

That story may be behind agent Mendes’ surprise – and rare – statement clarifying his client’s status on the eve of Saturday’s Premier League clash with Fulham.

“There have been more rumours of Jose Mourinho leaving Manchester United,” Mendes said in a statement.

Jorge Mendes has come out in support of Jose Mourinho.

Jorge Mendes has come out in support of Jose Mourinho.

“It’s totally untrue. Jose is very happy at the club and the club is very happy with him. He has a long-term contract with Manchester United and is fully committed to the club in building a solid winning project.”

Mendes’ comment comes at an interesting time, especially given Mourinho’s agent did not publicly respond to the report that he would be sacked irrespective of the outcome of October’s clash with Newcastle.

Senior sources at the club strongly denied the story at the time and it is understood that the manager still retains the backing of the United hierachy. The 55-year-old has a contract with United until 2020, with an option for a further year, after signing a new and improved deal in January.

It is reported the contract includes a clause that means it is cheaper to sack Mourinho if they fail to qualify for the Champions League.

Manchester United v Arsenal FC - Premier League

Predecessors David Moyes and Louis Van Gaal paid for failing to reach European football’s top table.

This weekend Mourinho’s side take on struggling Fulham in need of a timely Premier League boost, having seen the defeat at swashbuckling league leaders Manchester City followed by draws with Crystal Palace, Southampton and Arsenal.

That run – broken up only by a late 1-0 win against Young Boys in the Champions League – leaves United in eighth spot behind the likes of Everton and Bournemouth, with an eight-point gap to the top four.

Mourinho’s third season at the club sees United already 18 points behind Pep Guardiola’s City, who they finished runners-up to in a 2017/18 campaign that also saw them reach the FA Cup final.

The Portuguese became the first manager in the Old Trafford giants’ history to win a major trophy in his first season, collecting the EFL Cup and Europa League after lifting the Community Shield. Progress has stalled this term though.

While United qualified for the Champions League knockout phase with a match to spare, thanks in no small part to the memorable comeback win at Juventus, they fell at the first hurdle of the Carabao Cup to second-tier Derby and their league struggles have been compounded by off-field matters.

The relationship with star turn and club-record signing Paul Pogba has often been strained, with the manager taking the vice-captaincy off him before September’s meeting against Derby before then having a well-documented training ground disagreement with him shortly after.

Pogba was dropped to the bench along with another big-money signing Romelu Lukaku in Wednesday’s 2-2 draw with Arsenal – a night when this summer’s main acquisition Fred did not even make the squad.

January signing Alexis Sanchez has floundered so far and Mourinho made his annoyance at the lack of a defensive reinforcement known during the summer.

Most popular

Ander Herrera set to sign new Manchester United contract

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Ander Herrera .

Manchester United are increasingly confident that midfielder Ander Herrera will sign a new contract and stay at the club, according to reports.

The Times reported on Friday that though the 29-year-old rejected United’s initial offer earlier this season, he is set to sign an extension.

Herrera’s current deal runs out at the end of the season, and he could begin talking to non-Premier League clubs over a move in January.

The Spaniard joined United in 2014 from Athletic Bilbao, and has since won three trophies at the club. His spirited displays have made him a fan favourite.

Most popular

Related Tags

Man United ready to pay £40m to replace Jose Mourinho with Mauricio Pochettino

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Maurico Pochettino

Mauricio Pochettino is the only man being considered by Manchester United to replace Jose Mourinho, according to The Sun. 

The British daily claims United are willing to pay £40million to prise the Argentine manager from Tottenham.

United’s poor start to the season, which has seen the club slip to eighth in the Premier League table, eight points behind the top four and 18 off leaders Manchester City, has put Mourinho under pressure, as have reports of strained relationships with some of his players.

The club may be willing to let the Portuguese go at the end of the season, and will try luring Pochettino away from Tottenham.

Most popular